"Alone Time" Toys???

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m looking to buy my boys some more toys for them to play with by themselves while Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not home. I live alone and work during the day so they are home alone. They love their interactive toys (laser pointer, DaBird, feather wand, etc.) but they only play with their ‘aloneâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] toys when I first toss them down. After about a day of toys being out they are bored so I take up their toys every morning and toss out new ones for the day. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sure they get sick of the same rotation after awhile so I like to keep a large variety to offer them.

Whenever I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t supervise I have to say no Feathers, Milk Rings, Paper Bits/Balls or Strings that can be chewed off because Mulder likes to eat these things. This is sad because Milk Rings are Spookyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s FAVORITE! I usually like larger toys (3-4†long) because they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get lost as easily. Both of the boys LOVE catnip – it makes them go crazy, not relax.

Right now the favorites seem to be – Ragtime Pet Collars Catnip Mouse, Ball Ring (similar to Turbo Scratcher) and a Paper Grocery Bag that I stand up and they climb in and drag around the apartment. I recently ordered them a kitty cuddler and a catnip crazy toy which should be here next week sometime.

I just hate the idea of them being bored at home when I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be there with them. I really like buying handmade toys (especially from other TCS members) so that would be my first choice, but any recommendation of your kitties favorite commercially bought toys would be great too!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Java likes those puffs made from real fur - Firefox loves the turbo scratcher! Chip's a catnip boy.
but i think they mostly sleep when i'm not home - they certainly do a lot of that even when i'm here!
oh, they also like playing w/each other!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have spent a fortune on toys and realized the other day - my cats are playing with them. They just get caught under cabinets or tables. My husband and I did a thorough cleaning not long ago and found about $100 worth of toys in all sorts of places - all of them laying just our of paw's reach.

Having said that, the catnip puff balls are good, as are the balls with the bells in them. The leather tails on the little mice get chewed, so I wouldn't recommend them.

But I'll bet your cats aren't as bored as you think!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m looking to buy my boys some more toys for them to play with by themselves while Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not home. I live alone and work during the day so they are home alone. They love their interactive toys (laser pointer, DaBird, feather wand, etc.) but they only play with their ‘aloneâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] toys when I first toss them down. After about a day of toys being out they are bored so I take up their toys every morning and toss out new ones for the day. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sure they get sick of the same rotation after awhile so I like to keep a large variety to offer them.

Whenever I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t supervise I have to say no Feathers, Milk Rings, Paper Bits/Balls or Strings that can be chewed off because Mulder likes to eat these things. This is sad because Milk Rings are Spookyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s FAVORITE! I usually like larger toys (3-4†long) because they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get lost as easily. Both of the boys LOVE catnip – it makes them go crazy, not relax.

Right now the favorites seem to be – Ragtime Pet Collars Catnip Mouse, Ball Ring (similar to Turbo Scratcher) and a Paper Grocery Bag that I stand up and they climb in and drag around the apartment. I recently ordered them a kitty cuddler and a catnip crazy toy which should be here next week sometime.

I just hate the idea of them being bored at home when I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be there with them. I really like buying handmade toys (especially from other TCS members) so that would be my first choice, but any recommendation of your kitties favorite commercially bought toys would be great too!
Lucky loves the turboscratcher, and will play on her own forever....

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the boys a peek a prize for Christmas and they love it. I put toys in it and when Jack bugs me before meal time I put some dry food in it for him to work for. I also try and put some treats or dry food kibbles in it before we leave to go out to dinner so that they have something to do.

I got a heck of a deal on it $5 on craigslist!

Leslie

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you heard of the Bada-beam? It's a laser pointer that moves on it's own. You turn it on and it does it's thing and then shuts off after 15 mins.

My 2 cats love it. I use it sometimes when I'm leaving the house and I don't want them running out the door. I also use it when we are eating dinner sometimes and I don't want them jumping on the table. I'll just turn it on in the other room.

Here it is on petsmart.com http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3104812

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the scratcher toy? My cats don't like the balls, or the bag that moves, they just love da bird they don't play with anything.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Libby'sMom

What is the scratcher toy? My cats don't like the balls, or the bag that moves, they just love da bird they don't play with anything.
the turboscratcher - round thing w/a ball in a track & a cardboard scratcher in the middle?
if that's what you meant, here's a link: turboscratcher
it's also on wal-mart's website.
there are also some that have balls that light up when they move: light-up turboscratcher
the above link says it's not available, but it's probably available elsewhere.
but i just have a plain one - still popular, tho!

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do they like the Cat Dancer? I think there's one that sticks to the wall. I actually just stick the end of mine securely in a box and let the other end dangle out. When the mood strikes, Squeaky will go to town on it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

Do they like the Cat Dancer? I think there's one that sticks to the wall. I actually just stick the end of mine securely in a box and let the other end dangle out. When the mood strikes, Squeaky will go to town on it.
i have a stick-up one - mine seem to enjoy it.

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the cat dancer that doesn't stick on the wall. They don't like that toy either.

I will look into getting the two turbo chargers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will look into the cat dancer that sticks to the wall. I saw the regular one and passed it up because I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think the boys would like it – but if it dangles maybe that would attract them. I am also going to look for a baby gym like I saw on another thread.

Monday night I went on a cat toy hunt and dug out all of their missing toys from under the bed and stove and dressers and put them in a big box. Funny how they were completely uninterested in the toys when they were laying all over the floor, but wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t leave the ‘toyboxâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] alone!!!

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember reading in some cat advice book that you should only leave one or 2 toys out at a time, and then after a day or 2, switch the toys up. That way, they don't get bored with what they have, and the old toy will seem like new when it pops up in the rotation again.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rotate the toys so they don't get bored with them too.
I ordered the Peek a prize and a turbo scratcher because of this post. LOL.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I already rotate their toys. I pick up all of them I can find every morning and put them back in the box (in the closet) and give them ‘newâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] ones, otherwise they wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t play with them at all. They usually get 4-6 to play at a time, scattered around the apartment. Maybe I should try cutting that back to 1 or 2. Also when their toys get a month or two old I seal them in with some loose catnip for awhile to “refresh†them.

Mulder has a favorite toy that is almost like a security blanket for him so it gets left out all the time. If I put his “mouser†up (or he loses it) he searches the entire apartment mewing incessantly until I give it back (or he finds it).

What I did the other night was pick up all the toys I could find as usual, then started digging under everything to find the ones they had ‘lostâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]. I carried a big tote around with me to toss all the toys in that I found, and the boys kept jumping in there and taking the toys out to play with them while I was trying to pick up!

In the Spring I think I am going to try putting a bird feeder on my back patio to see if I can attract some birds they can watch through the patio door.

devanagara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat tends not to play with toys when she's by herself, except for her pink plush mouse. I think it's her favorite "baby".

She has plenty of other toys, but she will only play with me when she's in the mood. When she's by herself she mostly runs around and knocks things over. I spent last night at my boyfriend's house, and when I came home this morning I found clothes strewn all over the floor. She had jumped onto the top shelf of my closet from her scratching post and made a big mess.

Silly cat!

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took a copy paper box from work. In the lid I put krinkle balls and when Poppy plays with them they usually stay in the lid but sometimes he gets so excited about it they fly across the room. In the box I cut two square holes on either side so he can run through it and I made a few tiny holes close to the top of the box and tied mice dangling on the inside. Poppy goes crazy with that!

Have you tried something like the Our Pet's Go Cat Go Play-N-Treat Balls Dispenser? http://www.petco.com/product/106780/...Dispenser.aspx

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I often leave the CatDVD on for the kittens. They love it, although I'm not too sure how much they actually watch when I'm gone. But they sit beside the TV and meow at me "asking" for their movie. The purrs come as soon as I put it on.

Delilah's favourite alone time toy is her plastic springs. She also has a little foam ball (that used to have little strings of tinsel all over it) that she is crazy about.

Belle likes her mice.

Plain old ping pong balls might be a good idea. If you put them in the bathtub, they are a little more contained and don't get stuck in every little crevice.

Mostly, I think they sleep when we're not home. That said, the other night I came home and they had opened my movie cabinet (their interactive toys are on the top shelf) and somehow got their fish on a rod down. So, maybe they are not as innocent as I think!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the best unintended cat toys I ever bought was a small pop-up style clothes hamper...they use it as a "cave" and have a grand old time popping in and out of it. The other thing that they absolutely love are ping-pong style balls (I am thinking they are too big and rigid to be eaten?) and foam balls (but that might get eaten).

The other toy that gets a lot of solo time is the Kickaroo
http://www.entirelypets.com/kongkickeroos.html

I have a couple of Cat DVDs, but only Stanley likes to watch them. Bella figured out the birdies were not in the TV and never looked at it again.