Bastian has lost his mind.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think that Bastian, although he is indoors-only, has developed some sort of kitty cabin fever. Either that or he has a brain tumor or chemical imbalance, I'm sure of it. For the last week he has spent every waking moment trying to destroy my house!

The kitchen garbage can is his favorite new project. We got a new one with a lid to prevent him from stealing trash out of it, but he has now learned how to pry the lid off, or sometimes he actually manages to PUSH THE BUTTON to open the lid! So we started keeping a heavy object on top of the lid (which does make actually USING the trash can somewhat inconvenient). This has slowed him down, but my boy does not give up: he is convinced that he will be able to get the trash out by grabbing the edge of the liner bag that overhangs the outside and pulling it out. So far, he's only succeeded in shredding the bag into a zillion pieces, but he is not a quitter!

Last night he decided to drag my dirty laundry out of my hamper and all through the house. I was in the living room, and suddenly I hear him howling. He howled all the way down the hall and trotted into the room, dragging a towel like a lion would drag a gazelle. I had to chase him through the kitchen to get it back!

And last night I got very little sleep because I was awakened multiple times by crashing objects that he was knocking off of counters and shelves. I finally shut him in one of the bedrooms, where he howled for several hours. When I went to let him out, I discovered that he had drug a giant bag of aspen bedding (for my snakes) out of the closet, ripped a giant hole in it, and scattered aspen all over the carpet.

I think I need to get him some new toys.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhh....how old is he now, 1-2 years? The joys of kitten hood into the teenage years!

Lots of interactive playtime. Can you store the garbage in a cabinet? (I feel for you on the garbage - Izzy the dog is always trying to get into mine!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Ahhh....how old is he now, 1-2 years? The joys of kitten hood into the teenage years!

Lots of interactive playtime. Can you store the garbage in a cabinet? (I feel for you on the garbage - Izzy the dog is always trying to get into mine!)
Yes, he is 17 months now.
I've been thinking about moving the trash under the kitchen sink; I guess my weekend project will have to be reorganizing the stuff under there, and getting a smaller trash can that will fit. Then we'll have to install a child lock on that cabinet. We had to do that on the cabinet we keep the bread in, after he learned how to open that and help himself!

It's really so funny how distinct their personalities are. While he and Griffin are both typical Ragdolls in that they are very accepting and easygoing, Griffin would be content to spend all day sleeping in my lap; Bastian on the other hand is like a mischievious little boy, always finding new ways to get into trouble and make a big mess!
Sprout only cares about food and a warm place to curl up.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee whiz, he sounds like a bengal!

My best suggestion is to overload him with stuff to play with, if you haven't already. He needs stimulation, and is obviously creating his own "games."

I'm sitting here giggling - no offense, but I just love a cat with an outgoing personality.
My new kitten, Bonnie, has developed a thing for my dirty laundry, mostly underthings, as they are easy to drag around like prey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Gee whiz, he sounds like a bengal!

My best suggestion is to overload him with stuff to play with, if you haven't already. He needs stimulation, and is obviously creating his own "games."

I'm sitting here giggling - no offense, but I just love a cat with an outgoing personality.
My new kitten, Bonnie, has developed a thing for my dirty laundry, mostly underthings, as they are easy to drag around like prey.
His craziness is definitely part of his charm. Life will never get boring with Bastian around!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my! Looking at his picture in your signature, he does have a pretty rascally look in his eyes.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When Zane gets into this sort of mood, I say, "I'd say he's lost his mind, but you can't loose what you never had."