My Cat Will Not Shut Up!

wonky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I honestly don't know what to do and I am at my wit's end. I have had my cat-Monsterkitty-for 12 years. He is a good cat, never scratches, just paws, doesn't bite. Very loving, but wants to be petted constantly. We had a dog for about 5 years, but our doggie passed away. Monsterkitty would stay quiet mostly because the dog would try to play with him if he meowed too much. When the dog died a year ago, the cat began his incessant meowing. I figured he was lonely, so I gave him all the attention he wanted. But he just wanted more and more, and it has been a year now. I can't sit on my front porch to have a smoke without the cat running up to get petted, if he is in the house he wants to come outside so that I can pet him. He will walk around and start howling if he doesn't get his way. I have tried hushing him gently. I will pet him for 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 2 hours, at a time watching t.v. at night, it is never, ever enough. I get up in the morning, and I can no longer do my morning meditation because the cat will meow outside my bedroom door to get in to be petted. If he just wanted to sit with me it would be fine, but he doesn't. He wants constant attention. And I am home all day long. It is driving me crazy. It seems like I am just rewarding and reinforcing his behavior, but I don't know how to set boundaries or draw the line. When he was younger he liked to play with toys, but now he is pretty lazy, he just wants to be petted. Please, someone advise me here?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!! Wow, that is nerve-wracking, isn't it! I have a kitty that tends to be that way, but she hates other cats, so I visit her at the computer & when I leave, she retreats into her closet (she was an abused kitty
and prefers to hang out in her closet).
Your cat sounds like he could use another cat around - maybe a younger female. Probably a kitten would be annoying to him, but a calm female would be a companion.
I have 2 former ferals, Cindy & Scott, who generally dislike other cats, but when I tamed Scott down (Cindy had been in the family for 4 years by then), Scott approached her to fight, she spat & slapped his face and it was love at first whack
He pulled back & then did show-off play antics. She watched for awhile, being stand-offish, but within a half hour, they began chasing each other around. They are so cute together

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know that must be difficult. He is 12 years old, right. Has he been to the vet? What does the vet say about his health and the behavior. He is a senior and could have gotten confused when the dog died.

I know when we humans age and get demented, any change makes dementia worse. Just throwing out a thought. A vet visit for this problem and a senior health check would be a start. I hope he gets better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies. Yes, he has been to the vet, he is in good health. He was confused when the dog died, but it wasn't as bad then. His meowing and wanting constant attention has steadily gotten worse as this year has passed. It seems like he knows that if he meows enough, he is going to get what he wants. I have thought about bringing in another cat, but there is a beautiful female, Maggie, who lives next door that is always rolling around provocatively and purring, trying to get his attention, he just gets a low growl in his voice and tries to chase her away. We did try to bring in another cat years ago, but he hated it. If I even turn on the tv for a second, he runs to the couch, meowing loudly and incessantly, to be petted. This morning I tried reading my spiritual book on the couch with him on my lap, but he kept trying to get me to pet him, I couldn't concentrate. It is very nerve-wracking, and also heard on my heart and emotions. I feel tension and frustration now with a cat that I absolutely love with all my heart. This really sucks.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, one solution would be to find him another home where someone needs a real companion. I'm not suggesting that you do that, but rather that it sounds like your lifestyle and that of the cat don't mesh very well.

We had two cats adopted at the shelter this Monday who were both "talkers." It looked to me like the people who adopted each one were lonely and looking for company.

I honestly love my cats talking to me, and I wish they were more "clingy," but I guess they've figured out they don't need me, just the food bowl.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont know what to say but I'm please to hear how much you love your kitty.

My elderly cat Tess started getting v. vocal at age 17 or so. She howled loudly in ways we had never heard before. She went deaf around the same time and developed a hyperactive thyroid. We wondered if this was part of the hyper vocalization - esp. because we figured she couldnt hear herself so she didnt know how loud she actually was.

She also became super clingy. We actually loved it because she had been full of 'cattitude' all her life before that. We thought since she was old now she didnt mind seeming "weak" in asking for attention and affection - she was too old to care about appearances!

You said you had taken kitty to the vet. Recently? Did they do a senior panel? You never know when the next possible health change will be.

Did anyone suggest Feliway? If kitty's reaction is due to the dog changing the environment, maybe this will be calming. Many posters suggest it for stressed out kitties.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This reminds me of our RB boy Nibs, who was always a somewhat needy cat, but after Gryphon and Shasta were gone, and he was on his own, became many times more so. His Siamese yowling became quite troublesome for a time. He was about 13.

We knew we had to get him some company, and after he was completely freaked out by a 2 year old female visiting briefly while our friend was out of town for a long weekend, we decided perhaps a kitten or two would be a better bet, so that he could know he was "boss". When Suzy and Sam came home, he was momentarily freaked out by them, too, but within a couple of days, he was "Grampy Cat" to these little (7 week old) fiends. It actually worked quite well, and he was wonderful with them, even when they would not leave his swishing tail alone.
When he'd had enough, he'd toss a slightly irritated "mrow!" over his shoulder and amble off.

Maybe all your Monsterkitty needs is some feline companionship.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Your cat sounds like he could use another cat around
I agree. I've got one who doesn't shut up too. He'd drive me crazy if it weren't for the fact that the other cats will play with him. That helps me catch a break! I know what you're saying. They can drive you crazy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I went to the pet store today in search of an answer for my cat, and came across a lady who works at the local shelter and seems to know a bit about cats. She talked to me a long while which helped, and reassured me that my cat just needs some stimulation besides what he is getting (pretty much what I have been hearing on here). She did say that when the dog was around he had stimulation, if only to make sure the dog was leaving him alone, which is true! Our dog always wanted to play with Monsterkitty, but he didn't want to be bothered. I set about buying him some different toys, some fresh catnip, and she also suggested some type of calming liquid that can be put into his water. The toy he is batting around the most is the one that I can fill with catnip, lol. One of the toys is a ball that can be turned on and it moves around the floor on its own. As soon as he saw that, he hid under the chair and started howling, terrified. There is a reason we call him the fearless Monsterkitty, he is the biggest scaredy-cat ever, and a very loving cat. I would not think of giving him up. I would try every option there is before I would do that. He has been with me for too long, and the bond is too strong. So he is happily playing with his toy right now as I type this. I will be taking him in for a senior panel, thanks for the suggestions, and the help. I will keep everyone updated on his progress.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just naturally more vocal than others, and also their behaviour can change radically when the dynamic in their home changes (due for example to the loss of his dog friend) both due to grief and insecurity, but in some cases they can blossom without the other pet around and a previously quiet cat can become more vocal.

Having said that, have you had him specifically tested for hyperthyroid? If the vet does not take a blood sample for testing at your annual checkup then you should take him in now for the appropriate tests - he's not a pensioner yet, but he's not a spring chicken either and some health conditions such as hyperthyroid are more likely to be a problem in middle aged cats, and can result in increased vocalisation - although can be managed OK once diagnosed.