Going to the "female" doctor today.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate going to the gynocologist. To make it worse, this is a new doctor. My old doctor closed her practice with no notice so I was forced to find a new one. It's almost like a first date.
He did come highly recommended by a few friends of mine so that's a little better.

But, did I mention I HATE going to the gynocologist? The only thing I hate more is going to the dentist. DH just laughs at me because I'm a bundle of nerves right now. I told him just wait until he has to have his first prostate exam...then he will understand.

I have NO idea why I'm sharing this except I need support. Oh, did I mention I absolutely HATE going to the gynocologist???

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not alone by any means. I doubt you will find a woman that likes going to the G.

I don't have a G. My family Dr. does those exams every couple of years. I hate em but try to focus in on that they could save my life

Sorry your other dr left. Hopefully this one is nice and you can grow a little comfortable with him.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry! I feel the same way.

What makes it worse? I have to go several times a year because mine keep coming back abnormal, for over two years now. Luckily, all the bad cells are low grade, which means I'm still at the "watch and wait" stage of everything, but it's bad enough that I hate to go, but now I have to go 3-4 times every year (every 3-4 months).

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I can't identify with the dentist thing because I don't enjoy it, but I go ever 6 months. I've always had good dental care & I'm not about to ruin that now.

Now on the other hand it's been 3 years sinces I've had a physical. I know it's terrible, but I guess I kind of look at it this way; if you've got a car sitting in your drive way not getting used would you take it to a mechanic once a year just to have it checked out?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I have been so many times because of problems and surgeries that it really doesn't bother me anymore
I haven't been too much but more than the usual once a year because of abnormal paps. That said, once I found a Dr. I liked and got along with it wasn't a big deal. I wouldn't say I like going but it doesn't bother me.

Just try to relax and remember, regular check ups are much better than the possible alternatives. Oh, and the more tense you are the more uncomfortable it is.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure understand your anxiety.....your talking to the queen of chickens when it comes to going for anything medical! It'll be overwith before you know it though! Hang in there!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I hate it, too. But it is necessary... just put your mind on a warm, sandy beach somewhere... think about ANYTHING but what's going on.. that helps me.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Well I can't identify with the dentist thing because I don't enjoy it, but I go ever 6 months. I've always had good dental care & I'm not about to ruin that now.

Now on the other hand it's been 3 years sinces I've had a physical. I know it's terrible, but I guess I kind of look at it this way; if you've got a car sitting in your drive way not getting used would you take it to a mechanic once a year just to have it checked out?
Actually, I would, or sell it. lol

Cervical cancer doesn't appear because you're active...which is why there's such a strong push to get women to go once a year.

It's your choice, yes, but medically speaking, early detection is best. *shrug*

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I'm sorry! I feel the same way.

What makes it worse? I have to go several times a year because mine keep coming back abnormal, for over two years now. Luckily, all the bad cells are low grade, which means I'm still at the "watch and wait" stage of everything, but it's bad enough that I hate to go, but now I have to go 3-4 times every year (every 3-4 months).
Same here! Isn't it just a terrible feeling that the docs are just watching and waiting? I am always like...STOP WATCHING AND DOOOO SOMETHING but they do know best.

Its not in anyway fun but again...a little inconvience is better then what could happen.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I hate going to both the gyno and the dentist so much my internist actually prescribes Xanax for me to take when I have to go. Usually my family doctor does my annual exams but I had a problem I had to go meet my new gyno yesterday. I didn’t like him, so I’m already looking for somebody else. I hope all goes as well as possible for you today!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been to the gyno so many times for problems and surgeries also, that it doesn't phase me. Plus, I love my gyno, I have been with her for 8 years. I was lucky to find one that I love. One year she suggested that my family doctor could do my pap smear for me instead of her and that just freaks me out. We've had our family doctor for just as long, and I don't know why but the idea of her seeing me that way just freaks me out. LOL

I haven't had a pap smear in about 3 years either. Not b/c I haven't tried, its just that appts at her office are booked out 3 months. I don't think I can even count the times I have made an appt and then come that time I have to work, or something else comes along, or I just plain forget that I have an appt in the first place.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! I hate that appointment and dread it every year.....I'm always glad when its over!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
not that I love it, but I don't mind too much, I really like my GYN, she's super nice. I really liek having a female doc as opposed to a male, I had a male for my first GYN and did not like going to him

I hope you like your new doctor!!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly hate going. I just got my yearly reminder in the mail so I have to make an appointment. I've had two different GYNs in the two times I've gone, one of them actually had worked where I work now at one point which was cool to talk about how things changed over 12 years. Then it was a different one and I felt I had to start over from the beginning!

Two years ago my appointment was on our 2 year anniversary/day Rob proposed. Last year it was 2 days after our wedding! I'd so rather be elsewhere then

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind going so much as its just a money thing lately. Mind you, my GYN is ahem, cough, cough...drop dead sexy, lol! But, since I had my hysterectomy, he tells me I don't have to come but every three years. In the past couple of years he has dropped the OB part of his work and started seeing patients as a family dr too.....if my regular doc didn't give me such a discount, I'd probably swap and start using my GYN as my regular dr (but you can't fuss about a family dr who knows the financial troubles you're in and doesn't charge you for an office visit!)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

my family doctor does those exams. I hate them so much.
I actually haven't had an exam done for a few years.
i dislike them, as well. my family doctor does them when i need them - don't have a separate GYN. but i've never had an abnormal smear [i've had, i think, 3 smears done in my life] & my doctor said i don't need them yearly until i become sexually active, since they've all been abnormal.
he said it was very rare for non-IV drug using virgins to get cervical cancer. however, they are more likely to get ovarian cancer, so he ordered an ovarian ultrasound like about a year ago. nothing there to worry about, tho.