Apples?

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight, we were eating apples and Nova was very curious about them.
When we were done, we let her sniff a core and she looked as though she wanted to play with it.

Would it be harmful to allow her to play with an apple?
(I know, it's kind of a silly question.
)

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a friend who used to give her dog an orange, he used to love rolling it around and getting the skin off so he could eat the juicy treat inside. I'm not sure if it did him any good but it didn't do him any harm
I'd say the pips could be harmful maybe?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the apple is not cut, then its fine. But you do not want the cat to be playing with the core or have access to the seeds inside - they are poisoneous to eat. Charlie likes a bite of apple with caramel on it!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chay is an apple sauce fiend. Its one of the few foods I can't distract him from when I'm eating. He just loooooves it when I put the finished container on the floor so he can eat it! I keep trying to tell him that he's an obligate carnivore, but he doesn't care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If the apple is not cut, then its fine. But you do not want the cat to be playing with the core or have access to the seeds inside - they are poisoneous to eat. Charlie likes a bite of apple with caramel on it!
Thanks! I'll give her the whole apple and watch her to make sure she can't get the seeds.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky loves apples, as soon as someone starts to eat one she comes running. I usually bite her off a little chunk and let her have it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Wash the apple well first as there may be pesticide residue on it.
Good thinking! Will do!