Work Rant/issue/question

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I apologize, but I really need to vent.

Due to budget cuts I've lost all but one of my main team members in the last year - the positions were contract and just never re-filled. Between the two of us we've managed to absorb the worst of this and stil keep our workload on track. Today I found out that one of my colleagues in another departmetn is effectively trying to avoid hiring for an empty position by poaching my last remaining staff member, "G".

Now, I'm not at all mad at G. This would be a promotion of sorts for him, but I'm really mad at my colleague, who is actually the one who took my previous team members as well as thier positions. (sorry if this is confusing) On top of this, it would send us into one of our busiest seasons with me running the entire department alone, bcause it will take at LEAST 1 month to hire a replacement and another month to train them. I'm pretty good, but it's simply not doable.

So now I'm torn. I'd like to speak with my direct supervisor tomorrow and basically tell her that if this happens, I will definately not be able to meet my targets for the spring, which will impact several other departments enormously. On the other hand, I really like G (as a friend and as a colleague)and wouldn't want to sabotage this if it's something he might actually enjoy...but if he goes, my deartment is going to be the direct casue of several big (and costly) hold ups.

Now I love my job, but I was in this exact position 2 years ago and I nearly resigned over the stress (and resulting illness) of having to run the department alone while we hired new people. I really don't want to go back to that again.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really stewing over this and completely at a loss for what to do...any sugestions would be more than welcome.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarless of how you feel about "G" or how much you would like to see him move up in the company, you have to stand up for your own sanity. I would definitely speak to your supervisor and explain the ramifications of losing one more person in your department. It would have to affect the entire company (especially during a busy season) and he has to understand that. I was in that position where our department went from 4 people, down to me and my supervisor, and then my supervisor quit so I was on my own. The stress is incredible!

If you speak to your boss, I would explain that you would LOVE to see "G" move up after things slowed down and you actually had the time to train someone to take his place. But right now, it isn't the best thing for the company.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Its nice to hear someone else say what's sort of been rolling around my mind. I swore after the last time that I'd never do that again - I can't be three people...and yeah, it's just timing. I know there's no one else in the company with the skill set to take his place right now. It would be incredibly different if there was...

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do find out that this person (G) is leaving for certain, maybe you can work out a deal with him to stay until the busy season is over? Or at least to stay until his replacement is trained? It's not unreasonable to request this, and you're not preventing him from moving up. But definitely a conversation with your supervisor is in order.
Good luck!!!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys - I appreciate people putting up with my insomniac ranting.

I talked to my supervisor as well as her supervisor today (we have a rule of 'If I'm not in, don't wait, please talk to my boss') and they were both more upset by the fact that I was upset with the change. They were glad I already summarized what might become a problem, and were completely game to push G's switch-over date back until I can hire and train a replacement. So I feel better about it now.

It's just been a long two years - our team is getting more and more projects, but unfortunately our staffing levels aren't always keeping pace. Thanks again for listening.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm SO glad they agreed to let him stay until things slowed down. Sometimes bosses don't think of employees as people but more as robots that can be programed to do whatever is needed...which is ridiculous! I'm glad your boss (and you're bosses boss) value your imput enough work with you on this.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm SO glad they agreed to let him stay until things slowed down. Sometimes bosses don't think of employees as people but more as robots that can be programed to do whatever is needed...which is ridiculous! I'm glad your boss (and you're bosses boss) value your imput enough work with you on this.
Me too.

It was funny - they had thought of some of the things this would affect, but didn't realise how thinnly spread we've been. The really good news is that when I hire G's replacement, I actually have the okay to hire a second person too.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

Me too.

It was funny - they had thought of some of the things this would affect, but didn't realise how thinnly spread we've been. The really good news is that when I hire G's replacement, I actually have the okay to hire a second person too.
Sometimes it does pay to speak to the boss...

I"m glad things turned out.