I bought a new toy

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok...so when I read "axe", I thought this was going to be a thread about logging...

You can take the girl out of Southern Oregon, but you can't take Southern Oregon out of the girl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...sorry about that. My back is too screwed up to play with that other kind of axe.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

ok...so when I read "axe", I thought this was going to be a thread about logging...

You can take the girl out of Southern Oregon, but you can't take Southern Oregon out of the girl
I immediately thought of some fancy wood-splitter maybe from Sweden or something (yeah, I burn firewood for winter heating)

Congratulations on the guitar! The camo is unique but very attractive. What kind of music will you play on it - somehow I doubt gospel

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I thought it was going to be about cheap mens body spray
Yeah, but that doesn't really count as toy.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I had the exact same though, just edit mine to "you can take the girl out of Northen Michigan..."

Playing guitar sounds like a lot more fun than splitting firewood!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For what it's worth, you can buy much better guitars for the price than a Fender strat. That RG370 is a nice guitar, although I don't like that Floyd Rose and the locking nut. I have had several RG 120's and 170's and one 270. I have an older black 170 right now.

However, if you want a beautiful, high-quality strat-like guitar, check out a used Ibanez SA160. I have one, and it will outplay and outlast a strat.

Here's mine:

It's an SA160QMAM. The 60 indicates H-S-S pickups (70, as you know, is H-S-H. 20 is H-H). Quilted Maple AMber. Mahogany body. Fantastic guitar, and very high quality. And you can pick them up for about $200 on e-bay.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Axe" is slang for a guitar.

Mr. Blanche, that is a great looking Ibanez. I've been finding that with Fender's people either like them or they don't. I've never had one. This is my first Ibanez, the others I've had were a BC Rich, a Kramer (why did I ever give up this one?) and a Yahama. I'd love to get a Hamer.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aparently I'm the only one (other than Mike) who knew what you were talking about!
I personally love the look of the wood grain showing through but hey, what ever floats your boat as long as it sounds good!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you know I'm a sucker for exposed wood finishes.

I have a beautiful black Gretsch that I got at a pawnshop, too.

But here's the kicker. You can buy decent strats all day for less than $200 that are every bit as good as the Fenders built back in the 50's and 60's. Almost all guitars in the world today (including some Fenders!) are made by just two companies, Cort and Samick. And just as Ford got very good at producing the Model T by building a lot of them, those two companies build some very good strat imitations. A $150 Jay Turser or SX strat are every bit as good as a $500 Mexican strat, and almost certainly better. No, they don't have the name recognition.

For that matter, First Act builds some pretty good guitars, if you're selective. (They're also Cort or Samick.) Of course, this isn't going to touch the $7000 First Act or Fender or Gibson custom shop guitars.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

LOL...sorry about that. My back is too screwed up to play with that other kind of axe.
I thought it was a throwing axe at first!!! My husband and I have a wood stump set up in the back yard and we throw hawk and knife!!!!

Nice guitar!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Abbycats!

Thanks for the info Mr. Blanche.

What I really want is another Kramer. I miss that guitar and still wish that I didn't sell it. I don't remember the year or model. I bought it in 1988 and it had a nice metal flake silver color to it and it sounded great and seemed like it would stay in tune forever. Being a metal head I may keep the new one in Drop D most of the time.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let me recommend that you stop by a Guitar Center and try a Schecter C-1. There are black and other colors, but one of the quilted maple ones would be fantastic, and they have a reputation for being rock-solid and great players.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=513072

List at about $800, but available on e-bay for less that $500 all the time.

And you're right about the Fenders. To me, they're like Harleys and Peterbilts. Overpriced, unless you plan to re-sell them.

By the way, if you can find a Made In Japan Ibanez or Fender (which was actually made in the same factory as the Ibanez!), you'll have an astonishingly good guitar.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked to a buddy of mine at work who plays and he had nothing but good things to say about Schecter. Based on both of your recommendations I'll take a serious look at getting one when I go to add a second guitar.

One of my packages arrived today. They shipped everything out in three packages. The tuner, metronome, strap and picks arrived today. The guitar and gig bag are scheduled to arrive tomorrow but the snow that we're supposedly getting overnight may delay their arrival. I need to swing by the music door down the street and pick up a few things just in case they do arrive tomorrow. Practicing would be a nice way to spend the day if we are snowed in (I'm off on Tuesday anyway).