TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Obama takes Oath of Office AGAIN
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Obama takes Oath of Office AGAIN

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Since he flubbed it the first time, they gave him another chance at it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28780417/

He got it right this time, no worries. You go Barack.
post #2 of 28
Well, to tell you the truth, if I was repeating what someone else was saying and they said it wrong, I would too.

Can you imagine how funny some weddings would be?? lol
post #3 of 28
Well, it wasn't his fault it was wrong the first time.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
Well, it wasn't his fault it was wrong the first time.
Exactly, Roberts messed up the oath the first time. Obama paused to give him a chance to correct himself and he didn't.

If you want to partisan here, why not state that Bush's appointee screwed it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv
Since he flubbed it the first time, they gave him another chance at it
You've stated that you are going to give Obama a chance. This error has been pointed out over and over again in IMO. You don't appear to be trying very hard.
post #5 of 28
Honestly, I don't see the big deal. That's a big moment, I'm sure both of them were nervous which can account for Roberts flubbing the order of the words, especially if it was his first time administering the oath (I don't know it was or not). It's not the first time it has happened, it won't be the last.
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
LOL, one would have thought he would have memorized those important words. There were missteps on both parts, no worries, not a big deal, I just thought it was a tiny bit funny.
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post

You've stated that you are going to give Obama a chance. This error has been pointed out over and over again in IMO. You don't appear to be trying very hard.
Are you kidding me? If you thinking "give Obama a chance", means I will never poke fun at him, you are sadly mistaken.
post #8 of 28
I thougt it was kind of funny it was like the guy giving the oath forgot to spit out his 4 sticks of chewing gum or something
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
LOL, one would have thought he would have memorized those important words. There were missteps on both parts, no worries, not a big deal, I just thought it was a tiny bit funny.
I'm pretty sure Obama did have it memorized which is why he tripped over it when Roberts recited it incorrectly. Was he supposed to repeat what Robert said or say what he knew was right?! He still did WAY better with it than my hubby did with out vows.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
I'm pretty sure Obama did have it memorized which is why he tripped over it when Roberts recited it incorrectly. Was he supposed to repeat what Robert said or say what he knew was right?! He still did WAY better with it than my hubby did with out vows.
Mine too!
post #11 of 28
Chester Arthur and Grover Cleveland had to retake the oath for the same reason.

Laurie
post #12 of 28
I say it was the Bible threw him off, they didn't use one the second time. All that pressure from touching his hero Lincoln's Bible.

Actually, it was probably Roberts subconsciously correcting the language. Darn split infinitives!
post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
I say it was the Bible threw him off, they didn't use one the second time. All that pressure from touching his hero Lincoln's Bible.

Actually, it was probably Roberts subconsciously correcting the language. Darn split infinitives!

Watch him have to take it for the third time since they goofed and didn't use a Bible.
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.h...9d70b0c12f2749

Poor Barack, he will be embarrassed by Biden for four years.
post #15 of 28
So he fluffed his words, no ones perfect.

I don't even see what's so funny about it either?
post #16 of 28
Hmm, didn't people pick on Bush for messing up when he spoke?? I think this was very funny But hey, I'm sure I would have goofed too.
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Well folks, I hate to tell you but it WAS Barack's fault, he is the one that flubbed the words first.

I listened to the audio of the second oath and Roberts said it exactly the same as he said it originally the first time.

After all the endless Bushisms, etc, I find this totally, totally, karma for all the Bush haters. This is hilarious.

At least Bush got the oath right.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Well folks, I hate to tell you but it WAS Barack's fault, he is the one that flubbed the words first.

I listened to the audio of the second oath and Roberts said it exactly the same as he said it originally the first time.

After all the endless Bushisms, etc, I find this totally, totally, karma for all the Bush haters. This is hilarious.

At least Bush got the oath right.
Are you sure? I just listened to it again while reading along with what is written in the constition which is "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.". Roberts said "That I will execute the office of Presitend of the United States faithfully". It's a small discrepancy but still wrong and Roberts said it first then tried to correct himself when Obama hesitated... that's where it got really tripped up.

Of course, then I also found this interesting article which toward it's end notes another error in Obama's speach where he states that he is the 44th president to be sworn in when in fact he is only the 43rd because of Cleveland's 2 non-consecutive terms.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Are you kidding me? If you thinking "give Obama a chance", means I will never poke fun at him, you are sadly mistaken.
Im glad you are going to give him a chance. I think it is only fair.

As far as him messing up I think he was just confused because the other guy said it wrong and it took him off guard. But it was kinda funny.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
Of course, then I also found this interesting article which toward it's end notes another error in Obama's speach where he states that he is the 44th president to be sworn in when in fact he is only the 43rd because of Cleveland's 2 non-consecutive terms.
Well, it wasn't an error afterall. I went to ask.com and everything stated there says he is no. 44. They were counting seperate administrations and not the actual no. of presidents we've had. Besides both Bush's often referred to themselves as no. 41 & no. 43.

Here's the list: http://hubpages.com/hub/thepresidents
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieBoy View Post
Well, it wasn't an error afterall. I went to ask.com and everything stated there says he is no. 44. They were counting seperate administrations and not the actual no. of presidents we've had. Besides both Bush's often referred to themselves as no. 41 & no. 43.

Here's the list: http://hubpages.com/hub/thepresidents
From the link Cindy provided. He's the 43rd person to serve.

That's inaccurate. It is true that Mr Obama is officially the 44th president. But, as every schoolgirl knows (it was my 12-year old daughter who pointed it out to me), for some odd reason, Americans number their presidents by terms of office served consecutively.

Grover Cleveland, the only man to have served two non-consecutive terms, is thus counted twice - as both the 22nd and 24th. So, in fact, only 43 Americans have now taken the oath.
post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
From the link Cindy provided. He's the 43rd person to serve.

That's inaccurate. It is true that Mr Obama is officially the 44th president. But, as every schoolgirl knows (it was my 12-year old daughter who pointed it out to me), for some odd reason, Americans number their presidents by terms of office served consecutively.

Grover Cleveland, the only man to have served two non-consecutive terms, is thus counted twice - as both the 22nd and 24th. So, in fact, only 43 Americans have now taken the oath.
Oh goodie Neet, now, forevermore, history will confuse Bush and Obama as to who is REALLY #43. ha ha
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Oh goodie Neet, now, forevermore, history will confuse Bush and Obama as to who is REALLY #43. ha ha
I really dont think the rational ones will be too confused really.
post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
I was just kidding Caleeko, I gotta laugh to keep from cryin'.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Oh goodie Neet, now, forevermore, history will confuse Bush and Obama as to who is REALLY #43. ha ha
Wouldn't the Bush haters just love that?
post #26 of 28
I knew the moment it came out of his mouth that Roberts had flubbed it, and so did Obama, apparently.

Interestingly enough, Fox News pointed out that the spoken oath is just a ceremony; he signed the REAL oath before he came out of the Capitol building, so he was already technically President. And NPR had a bunch of liberal pundits saying that it had to be done over. Very interesting split, huh?
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I knew the moment it came out of his mouth that Roberts had flubbed it, and so did Obama, apparently.

Interestingly enough, Fox News pointed out that the spoken oath is just a ceremony; he signed the REAL oath before he came out of the Capitol building, so he was already technically President. And NPR had a bunch of liberal pundits saying that it had to be done over. Very interesting split, huh?
The old saying "I'm not paranoid, am I?" comes to mind.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieBoy View Post
Well, it wasn't an error afterall. I went to ask.com and everything stated there says he is no. 44. They were counting seperate administrations and not the actual no. of presidents we've had. Besides both Bush's often referred to themselves as no. 41 & no. 43.

Here's the list: http://hubpages.com/hub/thepresidents
Yes, but technically speaking Cleveland is counted as 22 AND 24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Oh goodie Neet, now, forevermore, history will confuse Bush and Obama as to who is REALLY #43. ha ha
So, again, technically, any one serving after Cleveland's 2nd term where he's counted again could argue about their #.

Who's on first?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Obama takes Oath of Office AGAIN