Laptop fan

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`m getting a bit worried about my laptop. Really can`t afford a new one right now and I get serious withdrawls when I can`t use it BUT I`ve noticed the last few days when I use it the fan is on all the time.

I`m sure that is a bad sign
Does anyone know if that means it`s overheating or about to blow up? Is that something that`s easily fixable, do you think?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two things you could do that might help. One that might possibly fix the problem is if your fan/heatsink is clogged with dust and what not, and so the computer is starting to overheat. You can buy some canned air (get the kind made for electronics/computers) and blow it into the fan intake. I try to blow so that dust goes out, not further in, if that makes any sense.

The other thing that might help some if its overheating is to buy a cooling pad, sort of like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PA248U-.../dp/B0000AKA8Y

All that would do is provide some extra circulation though, and keep the bottom of the laptop from being too hot. A computer savvy person might be able to take it apart, check the heatsink compound on the processor, and possibly even replace the fan, but I don't suggest you try to do that yourself, especially with a laptop, unless you're pretty sure of what you're doing.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, Thanks!
I will get a can of air and give that a go. I put some coasters under the back to raise it up a little to get more air going round. It doesn`t feel so hot but the fans still going. I`ve never cleaned it with air before so that could well be it. Those chill pads are pretty reasonably priced too

Fingers crossed the air fixes it!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Those chill pads are pretty reasonably priced too
i saw some laptop cooling fans [that you set the laptop on top of] @ BigLots for around $15.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i saw some laptop cooling fans [that you set the laptop on top of] @ BigLots for around $15.
Wow! That`s cheap! I looked at some on Amazon UK and they are around £17.

I`m going to hold off for the time being because I got the air today and just gave it a blast and it seems to have done the trick, touch wood! The fan is coming on and running quieter and then switching off. It doesn`t stay off for long though
I`ll see how it is after it`s been on for a while

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the air worked and the fan was louder before - it was probably some hair in there, not just dust. Just one of the things that comes from living with cats!
I suggest if you can do it yourself, or spare parting with it for a few hours, do have it thoroughly cleaned out. IMO all computers need this done regularly.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was quite a big 'POOF' of dust blown out!
There is a good computer shop near me. I`ll ask them how long they would need it to give it a clean. More than a day and I`ll get withdrawl