or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Cat Has STRONG Urine Smell
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat Has STRONG Urine Smell

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hi! I'm new to the site and I was wondering if one of you could help me out. I have a wonderful male siamese who we have had for a couple of years. He is an inside outside cat and unaltered because I had planned on finding him another siamese female. He's always done all of his pottying outside so I've had no need for a litter box since he was a kitten. Well recently he's been getting into fights and this last time was a pretty bad one. I'm concerned he's going to get seriously hurt and plus I really don't want him to be adding to the wild cat population. We picked up a litter box and litter for him to see how he would do just staying inside. He's done great, no spraying, no accidents and he's just going in the litter box. But his pee smells REALLY bad! The last night I woke up because of the smell and had to go clean out the litter box immediatly because it was awful. Today he went again and right away the smell just filled the house and I had to clean it out right away. I'm still trying to air out the house. I don't know why the smell is so rank. I've had an unaltered male before and it's never smelled like this and I have friends who've had males and it doesn't smell like this. I would really just like him to stay inside all the time but I don't know what to do about the smell. Any help would be great, thanks!
post #2 of 9
Call the vet.
When my cat gets a urine infection her urine smells very strong.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
Call the vet.When my cat gets a urine infection her urine smells very strong.
I didn't realize that was one of the symptoms of a UTI. I guess I always thought it was discomfort and blood in the urine. Thanks for the advice!
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Wilkins View Post
I didn't realize that was one of the symptoms of a UTI. I guess I always thought it was discomfort and blood in the urine. Thanks for the advice!
Why in the world does it say censored??
post #5 of 9
You can't let an unneutered cat outside, ever. Your cat has probably already fathered many unwanted kittens, who could die on the street or be captured and euthanized.

If you decide you want to breed your cat, then you have to be responsible and keep him inside at all times. Otherwise, get him neutered right away. The vet can also test him for urinary troubles.
post #6 of 9
Male cats that have not been fixed always have a very strong pungent urine smell. That is another reason to neuter your male cats. The older they get the stonger the urine smell. To be safe I would have your vet check him out.But I bet its just your normal unneutered male cat urine smell.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmylou View Post
You can't let an unneutered cat outside, ever. Your cat has probably already fathered many unwanted kittens, who could die on the street or be captured and euthanized.

If you decide you want to breed your cat, then you have to be responsible and keep him inside at all times. Otherwise, get him neutered right away. The vet can also test him for urinary troubles.
Thank you mother but I did not come here for a lecture. I came to ask a question about the smell of my cats urine. I obviously will be cancelling my account now. There are rude people everywhere.
post #8 of 9
You came here for the answer to your question, and as the other poster has explained, the answer is that your cat's urine smells strong because he isn't neutered. Why did you ask a question if you didn't want to hear the answer?

It's not rude to provide factual information in plain terms. I think the reason you're "offended" is that you know that letting your unneutered cat out is wrong.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Wilkins View Post
Thank you mother but I did not come here for a lecture. I came to ask a question about the smell of my cats urine. I obviously will be cancelling my account now. There are rude people everywhere.
You will not find very many people on this forum at all that will agree with you in any way about letting an un neutered cat roam around outside free to impregnate any female cat that some other irresponsible person let outside.

Just so you know.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Cat Has STRONG Urine Smell