Harry - the worst possible news

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just when we all thought Harry was having a happy ending to his story, the vet thinks he has FIP. I have been afraid to post about this as I didn't want to write it, but he has been sick for a week or so with diarhaea, fever and lethargy. For the last three days I have been syringe feeding him as he has not eaten on his own for four or five days. His stomach is distended and an ultra sound this morning confirmed the presence of a lot of fluid. Meanwhile he has lost a lot of weight off his back very quickly. We did a test this morning too, and it was strongly positive, though we all know that is not a 100% confirmation. The vet has taken him up to his apartment above the surgery to monitor him for three days, and on Friday we will make the decision.

He spent so much time with Nutkin and must have got it from him. I am now terrified for the others, specifically the two 8 month old kittens who lived with Harry in my cottage next to the house. They are the ones I am keeping for my daughter to take in the spring. So far they seem healthy, doing all the things that 8 month old cats do and eating well, and I moved them over to be with my cats four days ago so I could monitor Harry better. Now I have moved them away from the others into a corridor temporarily until I can disinfect everything over there.

Those of you with experience - what else should I do to protect the others? I will wash all the bedding and upholstery, bleach the floor and hard surfaces, throw out the litter trays. I have changed all my clothes and will wash anything the kittens have been near. It is going to be a huge job. Is it likely to be too late? Harry seemed the perfect picture of health - a strong adult cat and not the type to go down with this. What are the chances of more cats going down with it?

I feel numb with horror and so sorry for poor Harry. I saved him and then exposed him to the worst cat disease. I can't write more. Please help.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh NO!!! Not Ginger Tom!!!!!!!!???

I have no experience with FIP - I also can only offer support and vibes!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This makes me want to cry. Oh Jenny Im so sorry. Im sure your brother is deeply upset by this, too.

DO you think you could get Transfer Factor over there? Im sure you could. To stabalize the immune system. At least for the 2 little babies, although I know they have been on the interferon.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry that they think its fip.
I was told Yoshi had it but it could never be proven.
I have his mom and she never had fip.
Like your cat Yoshi lost alot of weight.
I was scared my other cats would get it but no one did.
He had to be pts.
He had kidney stones also.
Prayers for your cat.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first encounter with FIP was in the early 90's. I had never heard of the disease before that. My cat died from dry FIP. He got so skinny and very sick. It was so heartbreaking. None of my other cats got FIP from him.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don`t have any experience with it either but I wanted to say how sorry I am for Harry and you

Prayers and vibes that no-one else has got it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harry is holding his own in the vet's apartment. I spoke to him (the vet) and he (Harry) has eaten a little and is no worse. He has had a cortisone injection - not sure what that will do. I have ordered some transfer factor online and will give that to the kittens as soon as possible. I don't think it will work for Harry as he is probably too far gone with the disease, but would welcome any comments. The stupid thing is that when Nutkin died, the vet suggested a course of interferon to boost the kittens' immunity, which we did, at great expense, but the advice was that Harry did not need it as his immune system was strong enough to ward off infection and he was very low risk.
My friend came over today and we have spent hours disinfecting the cottage with bleach solution and stripping every item of upholstery. Then I moved the kittens back into it from their prison in the corridor. I am not going to mix them with my cats again before they go to their new home at Easter - the risks are too great.

I am still numb but trying to keep busy and not think too much - it is all too awful - he trusted me enough to come to me with his injured paw, and now he is dying from something in my house.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
please don't blame yourself. my understanding is the the virus is already in the cat and only comes out in a few due to mainly unknown reasons.

my beautiful boy janet lost his life to FIP on the 6th october 2007 and i had no knowledge of the disease at all. milo, who we got at 8 weeks old, was 8 months when janet died but is a fit and healthy cat who will be 2 next month. i did no cleaning or bleaching as i wasn't aware of any need too.

it is not your fault that harry is ill. just make the most of the time you have together now. i'm so terribly sorry that you are going through this with your precious boy.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don`t blame yourself for this It really wasn`t your fault.

Keeping busy is a good plan. It`s worked for me, I think it`s good to stop yourself from dwelling on things you cannot change

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has been vomiting continuously for 24 hours and his eyes are yellow and sunken. We are sending him to the Bridge this afternoon.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jenny, I am so sorry! I have followed little Nukin's story and now Harry's. You are in my thought and prayers.

for Harry's gentle passing.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

He has been vomiting continuously for 24 hours and his eyes are yellow and sunken. We are sending him to the Bridge this afternoon.
Oh, Jenny.... I am SOOOOOOO sorry about Harry!

for you!!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a stinking tragedy. I wonder why the vet wouldnt think an adult needed a boost, but whats done is done. Your brother who loved him so much to come to France and then take him back to the UK must be devastated, as well as you. Jenny, no matter what, the fact will never change that someone stopped to take the time to show him what love really is. My condolences to you all.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

What a stinking tragedy. I wonder why the vet wouldnt think an adult needed a boost, but whats done is done. Your brother who loved him so much to come to France and then take him back to the UK must be devastated, as well as you. Jenny, no matter what, the fact will never change that someone stopped to take the time to show him what love really is. My condolences to you all.
Aw, Jenny
I'm so sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.