Wilbur started throwing up again last night

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While i'm not in nearly as bad a place as I was a month ago, money is still very tight and I need to make sure if I go to the vet there's a reason good enough.

Wilbur's health seems fine. In fact, his ringworm is going away, the hair is growing back on his ear and his chin, and while we're still finishing up the clavamox he's been the old wilbur again. VERY playful, loving and frisky.

He woke me up last night puking again. He's so sweet. i guess it's instint but he goes to the bathroom and does it next to his litter box. which for me is a god send since it's a tile floor.

But he threw up about 3 times. he had a really full tummy too because it was pretty big. all chunks though. no dry heave type stuff.

Should I let him go a day and see how he is? there's no blood in it, and otherwise he appears just fine.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it looks like it was just food I'd keep an eye on him for a day. How is he acting now? Does he seem to feel better?

Your so lucky he does it on tile. My kitties go to the kitchen which is tiled and procede to upchuck on the rugs.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the clavamox can upset their tummies.........one of my kitties cannot have that stuff because he pukes every time he's taken it BLEH.

Lucky your kitty picks the tile floor........mine like to do the running puke accross my living room rug!!!!! UGH!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah I know i'm lucky that he does it that way, but he does. the worst yet was this morning. he walked right to the edge of the carpet, but still horked over the tile. he's such a good boy! i'm so proud of how great he is.

The puke is all food. Though it's mostly water now. They sure seem to drink a lot more water than they use to. but maybe it's just because i'm in the room with them and I hear them drinking it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah - it might be the antibio... or he may have gobbled his food - sometimes cats puke if they eat too fast. Keep an eye on him - if he keeps doing it or if there is yet another change in his behavior- call the vet. How long has he been on the Clavamox? There may be something you can give him that will settle his tummy and allow him to finish the antibios. The vet would know. She will probably want him back anyway to test his pee and make sure the infection is gone.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he's been on the clavamox for a little less than two weeks I think. maybe 1.5

i did notice in his barfs there were full size pieces of the kitty food. like he wasn't even trying to break them up

I can certainly tell he's not feeling good today. he just horked again about 10 minutes ago. but it's all liquid now. his little tummy is empty

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

he's been on the clavamox for a little less than two weeks I think. maybe 1.5

i did notice in his barfs there were full size pieces of the kitty food. like he wasn't even trying to break them up

I can certainly tell he's not feeling good today. he just horked again about 10 minutes ago. but it's all liquid now. his little tummy is empty
I would give the vet a call - if nothing else than for peace of mind. It is possible that he's having a reaction to the Clav.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah I'm going to take him in. calling and getting an apt tomorrow. he's thrown up everything he ate today. poor little guy. i don't get it. he was playful and frisky etc but then he barfs and i can tell he doesn't feel good because he lays down, but not in that comfort way, he does the super squat to sleep if you know what i mean.

got to get my boy feeling better. I also stopped the clavamox after this morning just incase.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yeah I'm going to take him in. calling and getting an apt tomorrow. he's thrown up everything he ate today. poor little guy. i don't get it. he was playful and frisky etc but then he barfs and i can tell he doesn't feel good because he lays down, but not in that comfort way, he does the super squat to sleep if you know what i mean.

got to get my boy feeling better. I also stopped the clavamox after this morning just incase.
That's good. Stress with the vets office that he has been puking on and off for almost 24 hours... can't keep anything down - he may need sub-q or IV fluids. I'm sure you've heard this already - but if a cat SHOWS you he doesnt feel well - then he's SICK. They hide pain and illness... it is in their genetic wiring as a predator defense.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Good luck at the vets, JT. He didn't eat anything from outside on one of your outdoors visits?
I was wondering the same thing... toxins and obstruction/ingestion of something not good- are two leading causes for kitties to barf that much.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been checking to make sure he's hydrated. well what little i can do. pull the scruff of his neck and make sure it rebounds fast.

Also, I konw he's drinking water more than eating.

As far as outside, no that's not it. I keep a VERY close eye on him, to be honest? i think he might have eaten a couple of those feathers from the toy he ripped apart and they made him sick

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've been checking to make sure he's hydrated. well what little i can do. pull the scruff of his neck and make sure it rebounds fast.

As far as outside, no that's not it. I keep a VERY close eye on him, to be honest? i think he might have eaten a couple of those feathers from the toy he ripped apart and they made him sick
It could have been those feathers - they might be stuck inside. maybe watch his stool to ensure they pass? My cat Holly swallowed a ribbon once and we found it hanging out her butt the next day!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Belle swallowed the top of a freezie wrapper (you know, the part you cut off to open it) once, and proceeded to vomit repeatedly for several hours. She'd be acting normal, I'd think she'd be done, and then she'd upchuck again. Finally, I found recenly vomitted pile and in the middle was the little piece of plastic (on my bed...Belle isn't as considerate as Wilbur is with her vomitting!) in it. No more throwing up after that.

I hope Wilbur is OK. It could be the clavomax. I think they can develop an intolerance after it builds up in their system. I used to feed the cats a little milk fairly regularly, and eventually changed to lactose-free skim milk, although they seemed fine with regular milk. All was fine for a while until the girls started vomitting. So, they strictly get cat milk now, and not regularly. If Belle sneaks a little milk out of my cereal bowl, she immediately vomits. You'd think she'd learn!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he will be ok.
Coco was coughing so much and threw up and I thought it was her asthma acting up.
She threw up 5 rubber bands.
It was the big kind.
She was ok because they all came up.
Another time she threw up a inside of a toy.
We were lucky then also.
We do not keep anything like that out here anymore.
You need to be careful.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's possible. They are SO fast! If he's obstructed in any way, it's a big deal and needs to be taken care of ASAP.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well it looks like I can't get him to the vet until friday. poor guy just sleeps and pukes. I see him drinking water and my hand test tells me he's not dehydrated but this can't be good.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, that's a really long time.... Can you take him to another vet? or an Evet?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the vet aware of how sick Wilbur is? If not - I'd call them back & tell them he's really bad - my vet holds several appts open for "emergencies" during his normal open hours.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Is the vet aware of how sick Wilbur is? If not - I'd call them back & tell them he's really bad - my vet holds several appts open for "emergencies" during his normal open hours.
I agree wholeheartedly with Natalie. This really cannot wait. The poor boy is SICK.