I'm getting new glasses

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally got to the eye doctor on Friday to get my eyes examined. The last time I went was back in 2004. At the time my eyes hadn't changed so far as prescription is concerned. The only change was that I no longer needed my glasses for reading.

The other thing he was concerned about back then was my eye pressure. There is no history of glaucoma on either my Mom's or Dad's side of the family. He first noticed the pressure elevation in 2001 or so. He sent me for a peripheral vision test which came back normal. So after that he had just been monitoring it ever 6 months.

However I haven't gone for the last 4 years. I knew my vision had changed and I couldn't afford new glasses, so I decided to wait until I could actually get a prescription filled.

The eye pressure is up a little bit more. He said that the inside of my eyes look excellent and have no damage. He is sending me for another peripheral vision test though. And he gave me a prescription for progressive lenses.

I went and ordered a pair and should have then by Monday or Tuesday next week. I can't wait!
It will be so good to not have to worry about having to put on and take off my glasses. It's a real annoyance at work.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got two new pairs of glasses in September-one with transition lenses. It was so nice to have ones that weren't scratched up anymore!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I pick up and pay for this pair, I already have frames picked out for a second pair. I think it's important to have a back up pair of glasses in the event you lose or break your usual ones.

When I fainted and broke my foot a few years ago, I also broke my glasses. I did have a second pair on hand, but the frames were a poor choice, not only for shape, but colour too. When I bought my old glasses there was a special where you got a pair free. But you were only allowed to select from certain frames. None of them really suited me, but I picked a pair anyway. Not sure how "free" that free pair was because the 2 pair together cost over $600.00 and they were single vision lenses.

I can't remember how much my new glasses cost. I think $452.00. My benefits plan at work pays $150.00 of that. The girl said she would give me a deal on the second pair.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need to go to the eye doctor my prescription is from Freshman year in High School.... Its almost worse for me to see with them on then off
Eric wears them now becasue he can see in them

Do you like plastic or metal frames? I like to keep things simple so mine are plane, round, metal frames, kinda of a bronze color.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always been jealous of people with stylish glasses!
My Mum was prescribed them when she was 32 so I may need them yet.

I would love to see the frames too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

I need to go to the eye doctor my prescription is from Freshman year in High School.... Its almost worse for me to see with them on then off
Eric wears them now becasue he can see in them

Do you like plastic or metal frames? I like to keep things simple so mine are plane, round, metal frames, kinda of a bronze color.
I prefer wire frames. My old back up pair are plastic arms with gold wire around the lenses.

My new ones are wire.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

What do your new frames look like????
I'll see if I can find a picture online. It seemed that all of the lenses had the same look to them.

They look sort of like this. It seems that is the main shape that are sold these days. I actually prefer oval lenses but I didn't see a single pair like that in the entire eye glass store.

http://glasses.go-optic.com/dframes/images/versace_VE1107_1001.jpg

I can't remember for sure, but I think the second pair that I'm getting are something like this one. I do know the brand is Catherine Deneuve

http://sunglasses.go-optic.com/DFRAM...s/001F6052.jpg