Can Rex and Sphyx be shown together?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met this rex breeder and she lives 1.5 hours away from me.
She plans on showing her Rexes.
I also plan on showing Cleo.
She is wonder if we can have the cages next to each other because we have differant breeds of cats.
She has just started breeding also.
She also is looking for a rex breeder with good lines that will work with her.
She wants me to show Cleo before she starts showing her cats.
Dont Rexes and Sphynx gave to be in seperate areas?
I have never seen them together in any of the cat shows I went to.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In CFA you can be benched next to anyone you want. I think only the large shows like the International and Madison Square Garden do you need to be benched with your breed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how many shows you guys go too, but I know BREEDERS who breed both rexes and sphynx and bench together. No reason you guys can't be next to each other. The cages are covered anyway so they won't have physical contact.

Cats are not really benched by breed. But breeders/owners sometimes put their friends down as benching together and you might have 1/2 row of Maine Coons, etc. together.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Showing is a lot more fun when you've got a buddy with you. I can't tell you how many shows I went to as a newbie where I sat by myself waiting for my rings to come up.

When you fill out your entry for a CFA show, there will be a section for "benching request." Be sure you put your friend's name there. I have never once gone to a show and found my request was not honored. You also might want to make a note that you are new so that the entry clerk can set you up with someone to guide you through the process.

Is there any particular reason why your friend wants you to show Cleo before she starts showing her cats? Just curious, it would seem more fun to start off together

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Write or e-mail the show secretary NOW and ask if you can be benched together, it will never happen in GCCF in the UK where cats are benched by class but TICA UK allow it if you ask in advance and I imagine other registries and clubs will too, you can ask to be next to a friend/mentor/your breeder etc. and they will usually sort it out for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She wants to breed her cats first.
The Tica show in Stockton had everything by breed .
Thats where I met that breeder that breeder taht played games.
I do not even know how points are scored.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

The Tica show in Stockton had everything by breed .
Thats where I met that breeder that breeder taht played games.
I do not even know how points are scored.
Try not to worry my dear!

First and foremost it is supposed to be a fun day out. Look on the registry's website, and you should be able to see who is the show secretary, there should be an e-mail address there to contact them.

Quite often if no-one asks then the cats will be grouped together - all the slinkies in one part of the hall, all the furries in another etc... but if you e-mail them and ask, they can tell you whether they can put you next to your mentor/friend etc. or whether it is a strict benching arrangement and you can't be moved, as far as I know GCCF is the only registry (at least in the UK) where your cat is in a particular place according to breed and colour and has to be in that part of the hall, because the judging is organised differently.

But really they do not bite, just give them a call and ask about it, chances are they will put you next to your mentor/friend, if their rules do not allow it then they will say so but you won't have lost anything by asking

As far as points are concerned, just view it as a fun day out, most registries have websites that are updated after a few days where you can check out the scores, after the scoring you can ask a steward on the day if need be, just try to relax and enjoy the experience

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

You might want to suggest that she show her cats before breeding, to know the quality of the cats.