And it begins

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Tuesday marks the start of another fun filled semester here at college. Tom seems happy that I will be out of the house but I don't think he realizes this semester will be as busy as last semester was.

Due to some fun schedualing problems I had to completly remake my schedual...thankfully after about 3 hours of cussing at my computer I figured out what classes i could take. Unfortunatly it made my semester about 10 times harder. I'm taking:

Modern Algebra
Senior Seminar(still have no topic for research)
Discrete math
The world novel(reading 8 books in the space of 16 weeks...)
and Historical Geology.

My friends mom is really really into rocks and minerals so I thought I would take a class that would allow me to share her passion with her because she's a really cool lady, that and it counts and a general education requirement. I'm not sure how the 3 math classes are going to work out but after this semester I only have to take History of math and I will be done with my math requirements for my math degree.

Its exciting to think come December I'm going to be graduating and then come January(hopefully) I will be having a job. I'm thinking about working for either 3M or Epic Systems but I'm open to anything. So if anyone knows any place that hires people with math degree's please let me know(its only an undergrad degree though).

Anyway though I would just post this to see what everyone else was up to lately.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason, your post only makes me want to go back to school! Mind you, if I'd had the finances, I probably would have been a professional student, lol!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah I kind of just want to get out of school but I'm also afraid to get out into the "real" world. I am working 3 jobs this semester so I'm not afraid to work but none of them really have that great of an impact on the world. But if I get the job I want at Epic, I will be at the fore front of the medical field and making break thoughs in new technology every day. That both excites me and terrifies me greatly...I mean what if I make a mistake...

Anyway, trust me if you went back all the horrors of class and school would come back. Classes are the easy part.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heehee...you're right about that.....classes are definitely the easy part...it was the homework/outside of class stuff that got me (mind you, my first year I roomed with my best friend who threatened to kill me because she spent all her time studying, I spent most of mine partying/going out, and I still wound up with better grades than she did). At fourty years old now though, I'm very much afraid that it wouldn't come that easy anymore....that and I remember every time I sit down with our financial books WHY I was glad to drop out before I finished my accounting degree! If I were to go back these days, I'd rather major in psych or something along those lines.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your semester Algebrapro! I know how you feel! Mine started last week.
I am worried about my Economics class, and I admit that I am so glad not to be the one taking all those math classes! Jeez!

I am in:

Financial Accounting
Microeconomics
Finite Mathematics
Advanced Spreadsheets (this is focused on programming spreadsheets and writing algorithms and stuff)
Advanced C++

All of my course involve math, and I don't even like it that much... But I still wouldn't trade them for your three!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're heading into the final full week of the term. I'll be glad to have Microeconomics out of the way. It's the most difficult of my three classes. Don't ask me how but I'm carrying close to a 94% in Algebra 2 right now but that is without last Thursday's test and the upcoming exam is this Thursday.

My schedule isn't quite set the way I would like for next term but I think I may stick with the following:
College Algebra
Ethics
World History 3

I was going to finish my English Comp requirements but the two online classes haven't been opened up to us and probably won't be. I may add one online computer class, maybe Intro to Powerpoint but haven't decided yet.

Good luck to everybody.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

Modern Algebra
Senior Seminar(still have no topic for research)
Discrete math
The world novel(reading 8 books in the space of 16 weeks...)
and Historical Geology.
When I look at a schedule like this, I wonder how I managed to survive as an undergrad. I took between 16 & 22 hours every semester. I think the most I've taken since I've been in grad school has been 9 hours, and I often find myself complaining about that. This semester, for the first time since I started back in 2005, I have no classes. I was signed up for one class, went the first night, decided it was going to be horrible, and dropped it. That's actually the first time I have ever dropped a class, but I've had a couple I regretted not dropping in the past so I didn't want to take chances with this one. As far as the university and (more importantly) my student loan provider are concerned, I'm still full-time because I'm signed up for 9 hours of PhD research. There's no grade in that class other than my advisor checking a box that I've been working on my research though. So instead of classes, I'll be working full-time trying to get my dissertation started. If I'm going to graduate in December (which I'm trying hard to do) I'll need to have my dissertation proposal ready and form my committee before the end of this semester.

As for going back, I'll agree that it is a bit intimidating at first. I was out 10 years between finishing my BS degree and starting on my MS/PhD. Even though my BS is in physics, I had forgotten so much of the math I had to buy "Calculus for Dummies" before I started back. One nice thing about the MS program at our school is that it allows you to take a certain number of senior level (4xx) classes and count them towards your masters, so it was a nice way to work back into the swing of things. One thing that I realized in my very first semester back was that although the seniors in these classes probably remembered a lot of stuff I had forgotten, they didn't have the time or the attitude I did. Since I was only taking 1-2 classes to their 5-6, I could devote 10-20 hours of studying for a single class every week, whereas they were probably only spending 2-3. And since I had just started back, I wanted to learn as much as I could, as opposed to just graduate and get the heck out of there.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ohh GOOD LUCK!!!

I go back to school tomorrow.

I'm taking (not nearly as many classes as you are)

Comphrensive Music Instruction
World Music in the Classroom
Creature, Spirits and Aliens- a class that compares Japanese and American horro and science fiction films and stories using visual arts such as anime, manga and film. And topics to be discussed include: evil spirits, demons, Alien encounters, sci-fi adventures, supernatural creatures and ghost stories

The last class sounds soo much fun!! Esp. since I was an Asian studies minor in my undergrad. and my senior thesis was about Anime and the Media.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I changed my schedule today.

I kept the College Algebra and World History 3. I dropped Ethics and added Art of the Modern World (I need a couple of classes in the "fine arts" when I transfer) and Intro to Computer Applications, which is an online class. Total of 14 credit hours.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

When I look at a schedule like this, I wonder how I managed to survive as an undergrad. I took between 16 & 22 hours every semester. I think the most I've taken since I've been in grad school has been 9 hours, and I often find myself complaining about that. This semester, for the first time since I started back in 2005, I have no classes. I was signed up for one class, went the first night, decided it was going to be horrible, and dropped it. That's actually the first time I have ever dropped a class, but I've had a couple I regretted not dropping in the past so I didn't want to take chances with this one. As far as the university and (more importantly) my student loan provider are concerned, I'm still full-time because I'm signed up for 9 hours of PhD research. There's no grade in that class other than my advisor checking a box that I've been working on my research though. So instead of classes, I'll be working full-time trying to get my dissertation started. If I'm going to graduate in December (which I'm trying hard to do) I'll need to have my dissertation proposal ready and form my committee before the end of this semester.

As for going back, I'll agree that it is a bit intimidating at first. I was out 10 years between finishing my BS degree and starting on my MS/PhD. Even though my BS is in physics, I had forgotten so much of the math I had to buy "Calculus for Dummies" before I started back. One nice thing about the MS program at our school is that it allows you to take a certain number of senior level (4xx) classes and count them towards your masters, so it was a nice way to work back into the swing of things. One thing that I realized in my very first semester back was that although the seniors in these classes probably remembered a lot of stuff I had forgotten, they didn't have the time or the attitude I did. Since I was only taking 1-2 classes to their 5-6, I could devote 10-20 hours of studying for a single class every week, whereas they were probably only spending 2-3. And since I had just started back, I wanted to learn as much as I could, as opposed to just graduate and get the heck out of there.
for going back to school and getting your doctorate! It's cool to see someone doing that.

Good luck this semester to everyone else! We have some very different class schedules in here!