reckless kitten...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake absolutely loves getting inside of the refrigerator, however we usually put him out straight away and scorn him...And so he must have been thinking "annoying humans, always aiming to ruin my fun- i will show them!!"...because yesterday, as someone swung the refrigerator door shut, Jake came out of nowhere and headed for the door with extreme speed...Before we could stop the door from closing he was almost in- and the door hit him....
He started hissing and all of his hair stood up and he arched his body up all scared...I immediately took away from the kitchen and put him on the couch to observe him..He started licking himself for a long time, and then about 10 minutes later was running, playing and jumping again. The door closed on him somewhere around his middle, or slightly towards his hind legs...I was afraid at first but when I noticed he was acting his normal self I was relieved. He has been fine, but I can't help but wonder what are kittens capable of inflicting upon themselves!!! Do I just have an extremely reckless cat???

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a kitten to me! Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m glad heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ok.

(I might catch
for this…) Mulder used to jump into the fridge and dryer all the time and it drove me nuts! So finally one time he jumped into the fridge and (after he got all the way inside) I closed it on him. He was in there for about 10 seconds before he started meowing and fussing and I let him out. I did the same thing with the dryer (I did NOT turn it on!) He hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t tried to get into either since!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehe I tried that too!! It didn't bother Jake...He likes to get into closets too so one time I closed him in the closet and waited until he starts meowing (it's a really small closet)...he never did and I forgot all about it until 30 minutes later and I found him asleep in there...I closed him in the refrigerator too for a few seconds but of course he can't stay in there for more than a few seconds..it didn't do anything..even the fact that he hurt himself the other day doesn't stop him from trying to sneak in there again lol ...We just have to keep a really good watch from now on..

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I still have a constant battle with my closets. I wear a lot of black clothes for work and I try to keep my closet a “cat hair free zoneâ€! I have had to put spring loaded shower curtain rods in front of my folding closet doors because the cats figured out how to open them by sticking their paws underneath and pulling. They still run in there the moment I open it to get anything out, but at least they canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t destroy things while Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not home. Of course I have a walk in closet so they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t mind being locked in there – I tried!

Hopefully Jake will outgrow his love for the refridgerator when he gets older. Spooky used to do crazy stuff when he was a kitten! Do you keep his canned food in there, maybe he associates the fridge with his food and thats why he's so excited?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

Hopefully Jake will outgrow his love for the refridgerator when he gets older. Spooky used to do crazy stuff when he was a kitten! Do you keep his canned food in there, maybe he associates the fridge with his food and thats why he's so excited?
When he was a baby I fed him upstairs in his room and he didn't even know there was food in the refrigerator, I doubt he could smell it at 5 weeks, his sense of smell was not that developed then- but as soon as I opened it he got in. Ever since then it's been his fascination..Then again sometimes I give him random meat from there, but the thing is that he doesn't go in and immediately go for food- he just sniffs around and looks around mostly even if the food is within close reach...I think the problem is that he is still too young to be able to learn from his mistakes so he can't be taught just yet..