Do I need to feed kitten food instead of Wellness Core?

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding Zeus (almost 6 months) Wellness Core along with Wellness wet. Should he be eating kitten food instead or is Wellness good for all stages?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People disagree on how long a kitten should be on kitten food. In my experience I only feed kitten food for 4-5 months at the most, then they go on adult food.

I have never had a fat cat doing this and since most kittens are neutered young, the extra calories in kitten food can put on too much weight and make them fat. Only reason to be on kitten food for over 5 months is if the kitten has been sick or a poor beginning in life or its a larger breed like a Maine Coon (then keep them on kitten food till about 9/10 months old.

So if your kitten is doing fine, gaining weight and is healthy, I don't see the need for feeding kitten food at 6 months old.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Wellness Core is an all-stages food. Check the feeding instructions. I haven't used it for a while (switched to TOTW) so don't have a bag to look at. Usually the all-stages foods list different amount to feed cats and kittens.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Wellness Core is an all-stages food. Check the feeding instructions. I haven't used it for a while (switched to TOTW) so don't have a bag to look at. Usually the all-stages foods list different amount to feed cats and kittens.
since it is an all stage and NO grain it is fine... it has more protein and fat than most kittens