What is that?!

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So some of you witnessed me realising my kitten had eaten a plastic bag after she started throwing up all over the place.

After taking her to the vet I actually found some of the plastic bag after she threw it up and it took me a while to figure out what it was.

So they did an x-ray and they found that there's still some of the bag in her, but it's reached her bowel, so they think that she should be able to pass it over night - they're going to give her enemas and other fluids to try and lubricate it.

If it doesn't come out overnight, then they're going to have to do surgery

And omg the bill is up around the $650 mark!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG IT'S A PLASTIC BAG. It's a plastic freezer bag! In found her going through the bin the other day. She must've eaten it then omg!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be a fur ball? Maybe your kitty is impacted.

ETA: I read the thread before your latest post was up. Yikes. Is there more plastic in your kitty? That's really worrisome. Nova likes to chew plastic bags too. We have to keep them away from her.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunalover

OMG IT'S A PLASTIC BAG. It's a plastic freezer bag! In found her going through the bin the other day. She must've eaten it then omg!
That explains her vomiting! I sure hope she doesn't have a serious blockage!!

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg! It's been in there for over a week then! Even when she was having the spay! When I throw food scraps in the bin I normally put them in a freezer bag first so it doesn't get smelly (I share the large garbage bin with 4 other people, it gets way too full to be able to empty my bin more than once a week) and one day I got home and she'd knocked the bin over and took it out and had been playing with it - there were egg shells and food scraps all over my kitchen...and I found some of the plastic bag but not all of it - I assumed it was probably in the wall (there's a wall between the kitchen and bathroom that she likes to go hide in) but no, she's eaten it!

I rang the vet and they told me she had started throwing up some blood, but that she's acting completely normal so they were really confused, they were thinking maybe she'd developed an ulcer from the NSAIDS she took after the spay, so they couldn't understand why she was acting all playful and not in pain but then go and throw up blood.

Arrrgh. Now they have to do x rays and other investigations to see if anything is left.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EEEEeeekkkk! That is a scary situation!!!

I'm glad you figured it out!! I hope your kitty will be ok!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is she doing? Was she able to pass it on her own?

Poor baby, and poor mommy too. You must be so worried.

Lots of that she doesn't need surgery.

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just picked her up from the vet, and she's fine, she passed it all and she's now back to being her crazy self! Thanks for all the well wishers everyone!