Keeping a feral cat in the house overnight.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one of my ferals, Mrs. McClanehan spayed a week ago. They told me to keep her indoors overnight because her body could not regulate body temp. Well, she's a feral cat, I took her home and she was freaking out in her cage and I knew she was going to hurt herself, so I let her out and checked on her constantly. My question is, if I called a vet (I got her spayed at the humane society, so I don't want to ask them for anything) do you think they would sell me some tranquilizers to keep them calm until it's safe to let them out again? Is that okay?

knottybuoyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she in a pet carrier or cage? Just cover it up with a blanket. If it's dark and quiet she'll settle down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to put this in the feral cats forum. Someone can move it if they want!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz

Is she in a pet carrier or cage? Just cover it up with a blanket. If it's dark and quiet she'll settle down.
She was in a cage, and I tried that.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know about a sedative. If the vet gave you one, then there is the problem of getting it in her. Putting it in food will not assure the full dose is taken. Some rescuer friends claim it could make them more anxious because they feel odd from a small amount of medicine.

What I have done is give them a couple of good places to hide, a box, a carrier, a chair with a blanket draped over, etc.

Put food, water and a litterbox out then leave them alone. A soft light left on in the room is helpful. Either replace a light bulb with a 25 watt or lower or a few good night lights will do.

Check on them by listening at the door or open it a tiny crack to make sure all is well.

Go in at the same time each day to clean litter and give fresh food and water.

If this is a short term thing it would be a good idea to leave the carrier or a kennel that is draped with a blanket in the room . That way when you need to move her she will already be hiding in a transport item.

I don't know if this helps much for your situation.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

If this is a short term thing it would be a good idea to leave the carrier or a kennel that is draped with a blanket in the room . That way when you need to move her she will already be hiding in a transport item.
I love all your suggestions, esp. this one
I would add that a Feliway disffuser might help.
Sending prayers and vibes out to Mrs. MC that she settles down soon and makes a speedy and complete recovery

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! This question was for the next time I get a feral neutered or spayed. Mrs. M is fully recovered now.