Help with my parent's cat - peeing on the couch!

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents have a cat named Orion. He's around 2 years old and was a shelter kitty. I should tell you right off that my mom is a total "dog person" and my dad is the cat lover of the family.

For about a little over a year(!) now, Orion will, for no reason at all, jump up and pee on the couch (thank goodness it's easy to clean). Even after he's been outside, litter box is clean, vet checkups all OK. My mom swears he does it out of spite. I tell her cats don't feel spite but she insists HE does.

I've helped them try everything to get him to stop. It's almost as if he just doesn't care about the litterbox. He'll use it sometimes and the vet has checked and double checked that he doesn't have urinary problems. It's just as if he doesnt want to put forth the effort to walk to the box and use it.

Right now he's in their garage and has been for a few days until they try to find out what they can do to solve the problem. I gave them some Feliway to spray on the couch but I'm not sure if they're as consistant with it as they should be.

With everything checking out okay, we're all kind of scratching our heads as to what we can do for the big guy. It doesn't seem to matter if we put the litter box upstairs either (it's typically downstairs in the basement, has been since Ryan was a kitten), it's like he just doesn't have the get up and go to get up and go!

Any ideas??

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dumb question - but can they put a litterpan on the couch? I know it sounds absurd, but I'm curious if he'd use it - or if it would get him back to using the box.

Also - have they tried covering the area with tin foil? I'm assuming they use an enzymatic cleaner to clean where he pees (have they checked the area with a blacklight?)?

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Dumb question - but can they put a litterpan on the couch? I know it sounds absurd, but I'm curious if he'd use it - or if it would get him back to using the box.

Also - have they tried covering the area with tin foil? I'm assuming they use an enzymatic cleaner to clean where he pees (have they checked the area with a blacklight?)?
If they aren't using an enzymatic cleaner that could be part of the problem. He jumps on the couch, takes a whiff and catches the faintest hint of him. So, he does what nature intended and adds a little more. Just because your parents dont smell it doesn't mean the he doesn't. Tinfoil works. Taking tape and rolling it so it's doublesided, sticky side up helps also.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, it sounds like the couch hasn't been adequately cleaned (for a cat's senses). You need to really soak it with enzymatic cleaner. You may need to remove the couch covers and soak them in the cleaner, and then wash them in a washing machine with regular soap to rinse. Also saturate the cushions themselves.

Nature's Miracle is a good enzymatic cleaner. It's available in pet stores.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never thought of tinfoil! I will have them try that and the Nature's Miracle too. I think it's normally just cleaned with soap and water but I guess that doesn't dissolve the scent for cats?

He's been down in the garage for a couple days, peeing in odd places down there too. Even when the litterbox is cleaned. I even suggested that we put one of those covered litter boxes upstairs where he can get to it more readily.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try adding another litterbox. Some cats prefer to pee in one and poop in the other.

Also, try adding Cat Attract cat litter to both boxes. Another thought, have your parents tried different cat litters at all? Maybe he would prefer a different litter.

And, as others have said, they need to clean the couch with an enzamatic cleaner designed to neutralize the odor.

Good luck. I hope they can let him out of the garage.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One other thought - has he been tested for a UTI more than once? I've had kitties test negative for a UTI & 2 weeks later be peeing blood.