What makes you feel old?

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of events recently made me feel so old. Maybe that's not exactly the right word but I feel behind for my age anyway.
First, yesterday was my oldest, little-sister's 18th birthday. I was 14 when she was born.

Secondly, my best friend is pregnant.

And lastly, my cousin (10 years younger) is engaged to be married and is looking at a house to buy with her fiance.

Now, granted, I'm divorced and once owned a house but it all just kinda hit me yesterday and made me think how fast time goes by.

What are things that make you feel your age or older? Or behind on the times??

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking in the mirror.
And not being able to find jeans that fit like they used to!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seeing a girl this afternoon in town with very high platform shoes on like i wore in the 70's, then noticing that another woman my age was also looking at them.

We looked at each other and i said "Brings back memories", then she said "Do you feel old like i do?".....yes i replied

I felt like asking her to take them off to see if i could still walk in them

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
reading this post and identifying with it makes me feel old!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watching everyone have babies. (I'm 31 and my babies are 8 and 12 and there will be no more babies for me)

My physical disabilities and health issues.... arthritis, a back injury, severe tendinitis in both thumbs/elbows (hopefully my dr's can agree to do a surgery on my tendons).

The fact that my oldest daughter is in Gr. 7
has a bf (her first) and is physically becoming a woman. She will be a teen in July.

Grey hairs coming in. (I dye my hair, but not regularly)

My younger siblings are 22, 20, 20, 19 and 15. Seems like just yesterday I was changing their diapers

Yup, I feel old.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knowing that I don't have near the energy I used to have. I went to the gym today for the first time in years and was only able to walk a little over a mile in 30 minutes. A big wake up call was 4 years ago when I suffered a mild stroke. This was 5 days after my 48th birthday. The aches and pains that I have on a daily basis.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Contemplating getting those toilet seat risers because of my back. That one's actually embarrassing to admit to.
Barely being able to move some days due to fatigue (health issues) - this literally makes me feel like I am old.

DH's cousin. His aunt and my parents used to be good friends, so I remember when his cousin was born. She turns 18 next month.

Talking to people even a few years younger than me about movies or music - and they say "who" or "what". Honestly, who here hasn't seen Alien or The Fly?!

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I started student teaching on Monday, and the teacher I'm working with referanced the Matrix.... in a class of 9th graders... and they had NO CLUE what he was talking about.... yeah.... I'm only 26, I should not have these types of experances yet!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seeing celebrities on screen and remembering the day they were born!

Being able to remember things that happened 40 years ago!

Looking to the future and realizing that my life is probably more than half lived.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winter makes me feel old, stiff and creaky.
Knowing alot of my employees were born after I graduated makes me feel old.
Knowing that my husband knows more about computers makes me feel old.
Knowing that my body is rapidly falling apart makes me feel old...
Should I go on?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my youngest cousin's little boy is a year old... i was 18 when my cousin was born. i remember him vividly as a 2 year old [went to visit them in hawaii that year]... this means i could easily be a grandmother

of course, also realizing that i could be the parent of most of the parents of my students does this, as well...

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think what does it for me is when I am looking at a picture or talking to friends about old times and realize that old times are like 35 years ago. That really makes you sit up and take notice.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when i started waiting for the news to come on
when i was unable to go out and party all nite and go straight to work and function normal
now i can go out once a month on the weekend to party and feel like poop for like 3 days afterwards
i look foward to spending the weekend on the couch doing absolutey nothing

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Contemplating getting those toilet seat risers because of my back. That one's actually embarrassing to admit to.
Barely being able to move some days due to fatigue (health issues) - this literally makes me feel like I am old.

Trying to even get out of bed in the morning is getting to be a real hassle, too. Or in & out of a car.

Seeing some movie stars on TV and noticing how old they're getting to be, and then realizing that they're around the same age as I am.

Being a grandma, when it seems that just yesterday my son was in diapers!