Beastie Bands

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Belle and Delilah have been wearing Beastie Bands collars with Boomerang's Collar Tags for about 6 months now. It took them a while to adjust, but they don't don't seem to mind them now. However, due to all the scratching they did initially, the collars are now looking quite tattered and it's time for them to be replaced.

I like the Beastie bands because they are so light and easy to get on off. Also, the collar tags are the slide-on types that are designed to go on open ended collars. So, they work well with those too.

However, I was recently reading in the thread about collars getting stuck on things and the safety buckles releasing.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had these situations with Beastie Bands? The velcro doesn't seem like it would release very easily, but I can slip the collars on and off without undoing the velcro, so I'm thinking maybe the cats can just slip out of them similarly if they were to get caught on anything. It's hard to test, however.

So, I'm asking those who use or have used Beastie Bands to share their experiences with me.

Belle and Delilah are inside cats, and with the collar tags, there isn't much risk that they'll get caught, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
they're REALLY stretchy - i think they'd act like any other elastic collar if snagged. probably when the cat pulled away, the collar would stretch enough that s/he could escape it.
i used them for a long time [have lots of spares since i've switched]. even cut one down for baby Firefox

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

they're REALLY stretchy - i think they'd act like any other elastic collar if snagged. probably when the cat pulled away, the collar would stretch enough that s/he could escape it.
OK, that's what I was thinking too - and basically what it says on the website. Belle and Delilah's seem quite "stretched out" - probably from all the scratching they originally did when I put them on. So, they don't seem as stretchy now. New ones should solve that problem. Thanks for the input. Baby Firefox is adorable....her tag was so big on her teeny little body!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

OK, that's what I was thinking too - and basically what it says on the website. Belle and Delilah's seem quite "stretched out" - probably from all the scratching they originally did when I put them on. So, they don't seem as stretchy now. New ones should solve that problem. Thanks for the input. Baby Firefox is adorable....her tag was so big on her teeny little body!
thanks - that was a tag that came in her 'kitten kit' from the vet. had a website to register her w/my info. she no longer has that tag - she has a Boomerang tag like the others. has her name, my home # & cell # on one side, & the message 'if you see me outside i am lost - reward' on the other.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to pipe in here too - I've been using the beastie bands for years as well, and have never had a problem with them, where I have had trouble with other types. I've come home to find the kind with just a stretchy insert caught on a cat with a leg stuck through it. The same thing has also happened with the breakaway kind if the breakaway buckle is too tight to break loose easily enough. I'll never use the stretchy insert kind again, though I do think the breakaway ones are fine as long as the buckle breaks easily. But Beastie Bands are my favorite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

I just want to pipe in here too - I've been using the beastie bands for years as well, and have never had a problem with them, where I have had trouble with other types. I've come home to find the kind with just a stretchy insert caught on a cat with a leg stuck through it. The same thing has also happened with the breakaway kind if the breakaway buckle is too tight to break loose easily enough. I'll never use the stretchy insert kind again, though I do think the breakaway ones are fine as long as the buckle breaks easily. But Beastie Bands are my favorite.
So have you come home to a mysteriously cat-less Beastie Band from time to time?

Belle managed to get hers off once when she was a kitten and I first put them on. She hid it somewhere and then brought it back a couple weeks later.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

So have you come home to a mysteriously cat-less Beastie Band from time to time?
Yes! I'll occasionally find them around the house - usually from my 2 males wrestling.