Food for weight gain?

greeneyes86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I have yet another question regarding my 13 y/o cat's weight...

We went to the vet yesterday for a follow-up about an ear infection (that's all gone now), and it seems that over 2 weeks, Coco lost an ounce in weight. I know she's been a little stressed because it was also two weeks ago that we adopted Hallow, and probably 8 or 9 days now that they've been allowed in the house together. She is fine if he gives her space (90% of the time) and behaves relatively normally, she sleeps in her favorite spots & roams the house as usual, but they aren't friends yet.

The vet recommended a barrage of tests that require anesthesia (x-rays, teeth cleaning, urinalysis, etc) that would stress her out MORE (it's always a huge ordeal for her to leave the house/go in the car, she howls like she's dying
), but I'd really like to see if there are any supplements/food that I could give her to help her get her weight back, as her blood tests were normal (no hyperthyroidism, no kidney issues, no diabetes).

For dry food, she gets free fed Royal Canin Mature 27 (a switch from Purina and then Nutro about 6 months ago), and she has done extremely well on it, so I'd rather not change her dry food. When she was fed Purina she threw up every other week, but since she's been on Royal Canin she hasn't thrown up at all and her coat is great, and she loved it from day 1.

She gets canned food a few times a day, we are in the process of switching from Fancy Feast (which I realize is junk) to Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics Adult, she ate it yesterday but I'm not sure if the trend will continue since she is pretty much addicted to FF.

So what I am looking for is:
1) a supplement to her current food that will help her gain weight
2) a recommendation for new canned food if Nutro doesn't work out
I also don't want her to go on a hunger strike if she doesn't like the Nutro canned because it is very important that she keep eating.

That was a lot..I hope it made sense though. I welcome any suggestions and recommendations

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ask the vet about nutrical

I would suggest going to one of the NON senior foods for dry ( RC in an adult maybe to get more protein)

for wet if the GC dont go over try mixing it with FF

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is the 27 % .. it is HIGH carb low fat and low protein
http://www.royalcanin.us/guidelines/...re_27_info.pdf
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) . 27.0%
Crude Fat (minimum) . 14.0%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 6.2%
Moisture (maximum) 8.0%
Bag Size Cups per Bag
2.5 lb.\t15
5.5 lb.\t34
Calorie Content
kcal per kg . 3856
kcal per cup 283

the reg senior 28 is low protein but high fat = higher caloriehttp://www.royalcanin.us/guidelines/active_mature_28_info.pdf DAY)

Crude Protein (minimum) 28.0%, Crude Fat (minimum) 23.0%, Crude Fiber (maximum)
4.1%, Moisture (maximum) 9.0%, Magnesium (maximum) 0.09%, Taurine (minimum) 0.2%,
Vitamin E (minimum) 600 mg/kg, *Vitamin C (minimum) 300 mg/kg, *Omega 6 Fatty Acids
(minimum) 5.65%, *Omega 3 Fatty Acids (minimum) 0.77%, *Glucosamine Hydrochloride
(minimum) 390 mg/kg, *Chondroitin Sulfate (minimum) 110 mg/kg, *Green Tea Extract
(minimum) 150 mg/kg.
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profile.
CALORIE CONTENT
This product contains 4370 kilocalories per kilogram or 465 kilocalories per cup ME
(metabolizable energy) on an as fed basis (as fed).

Same food line nearly identical ingredients but Far different % s

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I add my vote for the RC senior 28, I've been giving it to my senior CRF kitty Waggles as I wanted to get his weight up, in addition to his wet food. He seems to really like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greeneyes86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! I will try the RC 28 as well as the RC regular adult (we already have that for the 8 month old kitten).

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out Royal Canin Active Mature 28. It's one of the highest calorie senior foods I've been able to find and it has Glucosamine in it. My older guy, Nabu, likes it. He's always been "ideal" in the weight department and I was worried about him losing weight. He likes the RC Active Mature, although at this time it's not his main food. I supplement his diet with it. During the day he snacks on the dry foods (Purina One and Iams) the other 2 eat. I only feed regular formulas, not light or indoor for everyone to eat. He also eats about 5-6 oz of wet food a day.

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Check out Royal Canin Active Mature 28. It's one of the highest calorie senior foods I've been able to find and it has Glucosamine in it.

That's the food I was referring to in my previous post