Do you pay attention to the airplane safety instructions? Will you now?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pay attention to the flight attendant when s/he gives instructions. I count my seats to the nearest two exits. I'm not a nervous flier, but I've always done this.

Clearly at least some of those aboard the airbus that crashed into the Hudson River knew what to do...how to take the door off, how to exit, etc.

What about you? Do you pay attention? Do you count your seats? If you're sitting on a wing seat, do you pay attention to how to open the door?

If not, do you think this recent crash will change that?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a very nervous flyer, so I always do that stuff. I pay close attention to the flight attendant, I leave my seatbelt buckled the entire flight unless I have to use the restroom, and I even read the pamphlet in the seat pocket that tells you what to do in an emergency. LOL We can never fly in an exit isle b/c we are always riding with a child.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I always look for the nearest exit, but rarely pay attention to the flight attendant's spiel unless it's a type of plane I'm not familiar with. If I'm sitting in an exit seat, I make sure I know how to open the hatch in an emergency.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I always look for the nearest exit, but rarely pay attention to the flight attendant's spiel.
That's me. I know how to tie the inflatable jacket, how to drop my oxygen mask, so i just need to know where the nearest exit door is

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was seated one time in the emergency aisle, and it was great. I could stretch my legs out, get comfy...then I realized I actually was responsible for the emergency door. Yeah, I was paranoid the entire flight. I talked with 2 flight attendents about what I would have to do, and I didn't sleep at ALL on that flight.

It kind of makes me think about how I would handle an emergency situation.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the recent accident was not my wake up call, but I hope it will be for many that needed one. I know that there is always that chance, however minimal, when I fly that something could go wrong.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an extremely nervous passenger, and yet I still don't pay any attention and I don't read the safety instructions. The reason is that ignorance is bliss..I would rather not think about if that ever happened.

Probably not the best approach, but if I read about what happens when the place goes down I will likely start hyperventilating

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Husband worked for United for over 30 years so I know what to do.
I had never been on airplane until I met my husband.
We went on stand by and I was scared.
He was in the front of the plane somewhere and I was in the middle seats towards the back.
The first flight I ever went on was to Hawaii.
We also have friends that are flight attendants.
The worst flight we were on was from Salt Lake city to Sfo.
We went on stand by and got first class.
They were serving us and the flight got very rocky.
Everything went flying and a drink spill all over me.
The pilot said everyone stay in your seats and no more food will be served.
I admit I was scared.
There were huge storms coming in at the time.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I fly fairly often, so know the basics - how to use a mask, the seat is flotation device etc. I have become blase about it though, and don't count the seats to the nearest exit. I didn't see the point of it, and assumed it was pretty easy to figure out the closest exit. On the radio a couple of weeks ago, they were saying the importance of that. They said if the cabin is full of smoke, it's usually toxic because of the plastics on the plane (scary huh?), so you NEED to be on the ground, and it can be hard to find the exit unless you know how many seats to count.

So after listening to that, and after this plane crash - yes I think I will pay more attention next time.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, and no.

I always intend to listen, but then ,my mind wanders or a I have a cocktail. I dont fly often enough to be comfortable or secure, so there is usually some kind of happy pill involved in my flying.

But we all should of course...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only flown a few times, but absolutely! It's not as simple as just putting on a seatbelt. In fact the last time I flew the person next to me was a real chatter box with the person across the aisle. I actually asked him to be quiet so that I could hear what the flight attendant was saying.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
as much as i've flown, i don't pay attention any longer [dad was a airline pilot - i've been flying for 32 years or so]. but i think i'd know what to do!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last time I flew - I was too busy keeping myself from jumping out of the plane before it took off to pay attention.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do pay attention when I can stop hyperventilating long enough to listen. Or if the massive doses of drugs it takes to get me on the plane allow for things like counting seats

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

the recent accident was not my wake up call, but I hope it will be for many that needed one. I know that there is always that chance, however minimal, when I fly that something could go wrong.
I have flown quiet a bit, I've been in turbulence, landing where the wheels didnt come down, emergency landing because of the weather.
I am the type of person who tries to be very familiar with my surroundings, but one thing, I never did was count seats. I will do that now (if I ever fly again having cats
).

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I never counted seats, but I have always made note of where the exits were and which one was the closest. Some people on the plane that failed take-off in Denver last Dec mentioned how many people were crowding the exit in the back while the middle one was more open.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nope and nope.... I pretty much only fly on exit row seats, and the only thing I do is buckle my seatbelt... I travel so much that I am pretty confident I know what to do... the only problem is that I would probably freak out if the plane was falling or something - I would probably have a heart attack before needing to open the exit door