Let's start a petition

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't we get together and petition the government to let us claim our furbabies as deductions on our taxes? I mean, why not? They live under our roof, we pay for their food and medical care, some of us cloth them at times. They're like our kids. I mean, I probably spend more on cat and dog food than I do on food for my husband and myself! I'm not saying it should be the same deduction as a child, but even $100 per animal would give us an extra $1000!

(ok, I'm kidding, but wouldn't it be nice?
)

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!! I totally agree! They're just like kids, they improve our quality of life (most of the time
) we put money into the economy because of them with all the food, toys, treats, medical etc that we buy for them!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish! I would sign up! They are like our parents too, at times, when they get older, you have to take them constantly to the vet and watch them more closely. They truly are like kids and I think it is rotten that we can't claim them, but still have to pay an arm and a leg to feed them, take care of them, and to see the vet.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice thought but it would never happen. And can you imagine the animal abuse that would generate? People getting pets JUST to claim the deduction? It's bad enough now as it is!!

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish we could deduct vet bills, medicines, etc. That would be nice! Especially if you were one of those people who cannot have children and the furbabies is all you have.

I would also like to be able to claim my rent payments!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

I wish we could deduct vet bills, medicines, etc. That would be nice! Especially if you were one of those people who cannot have children and the furbabies is all you have.

I would also like to be able to claim my rent payments!
The girls are all I have besides DH. I do get renter's credit on our state taxes though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Where do I sign?
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Heck yes! I want to sign!
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

totally agree!!!!

-just show me where to sign
Originally Posted by Taurus77

to all of the above - especially that last!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about animal abuse going up. I know people just have children here and in Australia to get extra money from the government.

But yes it would be nice to get some help with the costs of the furbabies!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once asked my tax preparer if I could claim my furbies. He just looked at me as if I was nuts!

Well, why not? We support them, and they ARE our dependants!

Unfortunately, animal abuse statictics probably would skyrocket.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be nice if we could get a one-time credit, or deduction, for proof of spay or neuter. I wouldn't think that would cause animal abuse to increase. But of course, I'm sure there are a lot of sick-o's out there who would try to find a way to cheat the system.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makes sense to me -- after all, companion animals are known to lower our blood pressure and prevent depression! They should be a healthcare deduction!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only furry pets count as companion animals and deserving of the same respect and considerations? Not that this mentality surprises me...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Only furry pets count as companion animals and deserving of the same respect and considerations? Not that this mentality surprises me...
Not at all! I only said "furbabies" because I only have cats and dogs. And, this IS a cat site, hence the "fur". There are a lot of people here that have snakes, fish, spiders, etc...and I'm sure they aren't cheap to take care of and in a perfect world would be allowed to be a deduction too.

Good lord, it's only a hypothetical idea anyway.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ It wasn't your post so much as everyones. And that's the way it would be - if allowed a deduction where would it stop? Would fish keepers get to claim every single one of their fish? (keeping saltwater aquariums is rather pricey after all). What about ranchers or dairy farmers? Just imagine filing for a few hundred head of cattle!

I have 20 reptiles alone, some of the members on here have 25-30 pets or more combined. What about the insects I keep to feed them - I spend $40-60 at a time for supplies to make their food. It'd simply never work no matter how much money we do have to spend.