Question of the day Jan 17th.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we seem to be sitting smack dab in the middle of the worse winter we have had in years my question today pertains to the Winter blahs....and it is a two-parter.

Firstly do you get the winter blahs and secondly if you do how do you cheer yourself up?

I have to admit I do get them once in awhile, mostly when we have had extended periods of snow, or several days of really bone-chilling weather. I don't get particularly depressed but I do get very tired and have no interest in anything.
However I have found that the best remedy for me is to book some swimming time at a local resort. We have several in the area with indoor pools so I will make a day of it. Sometimes I go by myself or invite a friend along for a day of hot tubbing, sauna's and swimming. More often then not I will follow up with a nice dinner out and a couple of drinks with friends.
It can be a little expensive depending on where I choose to go but believe me I feel so rejuvenated afterwards it is well worth the cost.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have not Idea about the problems that brings the snow...
...with us maybe is a "Eternal" spring my friend....
But for sure I´ll will watch my enterely collection of X-files with some snacks and couple of beers!..

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Since we seem to be sitting smack dab in the middle of the worse winter we have had in years my question today pertains to the Winter blahs....and it is a two-parter.

Firstly do you get the winter blahs and secondly if you do how do you cheer yourself up?
Yes I do. (SAD) If there are days that the sun is out, even if cold, I try to go out and get some sun. It helps. If I had the extra money, I would buy a UV lamp or go tanning (both are said to help with SAD).

Although it hasn't been too bad this winter. Was awful when I was working midnights though

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do get SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). My boyfriend will tell you that I am much more cranky in the winter!!

I try to find something funny to laugh at... and dream about going someplace warm. Especially as I look out the window... it is snowing hard, the temp is about 9* F and here is about a foot of snow on the ground.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Yes I do. (SAD) If there are days that the sun is out, even if cold, I try to go out and get some sun. It helps. If I had the extra money, I would buy a UV lamp or go tanning (both are said to help with SAD).

Although it hasn't been too bad this winter. Was awful when I was working midnights though
It is amazing how much a UV lamp does help with SAD. For years my aunt would become quite depressed every winter around the mid-January point until her doctor suggest that she try a sun lamp. Since she begin using one about 5 years ago she has improved greatly. She tries to sit under it 3-5 times a week for about 1 hour each time. She now swears by it and has noticed a huge improvement in her depression.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

It is amazing how much a UV lamp does help with SAD. For years my aunt would become quite depressed every winter around the mid-January point until her doctor suggest that she try a sun lamp. Since she begin using one about 5 years ago she has improved greatly. She tries to sit under it 3-5 times a week for about 1 hour each time. She now swears by it and has noticed a huge improvement in her depression.
We have investigated them, but $$ is the issue at the moment. It is definately on my want list... and my hubbys
Seriously, in our house, if I'm not happy everyone else isn't happy.. its contagious. Funny how I have grown to realise that everyone else's mood depends on mine... so I find ways to try to avoid the rest of the household having bad days.. whether that be just avoiding them so I'm not grumpy with them, or trying to hide it.

Eventually tho, I do want to get one of the lamps.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those of us who live in the Los Angeles area are not really experiencing a rough winter. In fact with temps in the mid 80's are having a pretty mild winter. To me a rough winter is when it rains a lot, and when the temps are in the 50's and 60's, and I actually like the rain a lot. In a way I sometimes get the sunshine bla's if that makes sense. I long for cloudy and rainy days, as long as it doesn't get too cool. If the temp drops below 65 degrees I turn on the heat and enjoy the warmth.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really get the blahs...but I do HATE the cold more than anything.
I am good indoors...but outdoors I am too cold to be happy

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But for sure I´ll will watch my enterely collection of X-files with some snacks and couple of beers!...........

Seriously, the only time I get the winter blahs is when I can't get my car out of the garage because the roads are too bad. Then I go a little stir-crazy.