Is it OK to say we are cat "owners" ??

fazmaster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,

Just joined here and having a cat at home is new for us. When I posted on "New cat on the block" I re-read the title of my post which contains..."new cat owner". Of course he is ours and part of the family but saying that we "own" him ?

It struck me as odd to have said that..Am I normal ? LOL !

Cheers,

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome

I am a cat lover

My question to you is... Do you OWN your cat, or does your cat OWN you? My cat MyRage, She owns my heart. My cat Mystyc, she just flat OWNs me. My cat Ladi NyghtShade, we own each other. She yells at me, I spank her (she loves to be patted on her back by her tail, the harder, the better.). She paws at my face, I lift the covers so she can cuddle and put her little kitty arms around my neck.

It all depends on your relationship with your kitty, IMO

be safe

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We own our cats in the sense that we give them shelter, feed them, make sure they have medical attention when needed, give them lovings....wait, I think that's a cat SLAVE, not a cat owner! Saying you're a cat owner is fine...we all know who owns who.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say I own my pets. After all, I did buy most of them...pay for their food, vet, meds, housing, toys, etc.

But in reality, they certainly do own me.

Brandy (dog) starts jumping and getting hyper, and barks at me.... I know its time to let her out to pee.

Kizzy (cat) starts meowing, or pawing at me, I know he either wants food, attention or something.

My snakes (one in particular) starts to get hissy, I know he wants food.

I, of course, the good slave I am.... oblige all of em. The consequences of not obliging them are not good LOL.

But all in all, yes I'm a pet owner...owned by my pets.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I, of course, the good slave I am.... oblige all of em. The consequences of not obliging them are not good LOL.

But all in all, yes I'm a pet owner...owned by my pets.
I of course agree with this exactly.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are not "owned", they don't like that word.

When people ask me how many I own, I always say I am the guardian of 11.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
A municipality near here passed a law to call us "guardians" not "owners" in the municipal code. Personally I think my three are the boss around here and there isn't the concept of ownership.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Own a cat
This is hanging in my cat room, it is the motto I am expected to live by
The Cat's Commandments
Now hear this! You may live in this dwelling with me, but keep in mind your sole purpose for existing is to care for me. I pray God keeps you able to do so.

Feed me well and promptly, so that I may then find a quiet place to lie down and stare at you. If that place happens to be on top of the television set do not keep trying to dislodge me even though my tail is hanging the middle of the picture.

I expect full run of the premises, including the kitchen table. I sniff your food only to see if I would prefer it to mine. Brush me twice a week. Pet me as often as you wish, but I can do without the idiotic statements you utter as you do so.

When I bump my head against your leg or cheek, it means I accept you as part of MY environment. Keep in mind that if I thought the lady next door would feed me better, I'd be out of here in a minute. If you're looking for loyalty, get a dog.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

A municipality near here passed a law to call us "guardians" not "owners" in the municipal code.
Did PETA get a hold of them? What a waste of time, and likely money, to have passed.

Who cares what you call yourself. As long as you're responsible and care for your pets, that's all that matters. Claiming ownership or implying something belongs to you is normal - Who here says "my husband", "my mother", or "my children". Are they going to pass laws to change this soon, too?

misskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like to call myself a cat parent. I'm not a PETA supporter or anything, but I just don't like the sound of "owner." I think parent works best because I am like their mommy and if I "own" them, it's the same way in which a parent "owns" a child. This gets me funny looks, so when speaking to "average" non-animal folk, I usually just say "own or owned." Yet, I would like to influence those around me to start saying they are "pet parents" or "pet guardians." I think it just sounds nicer. Of course, I think my cats/all other animals own me more than I own them.
I don't even like to call my animals "my pets." I call them "my animal companions" or "animal children."

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

...I lift the covers so she can cuddle and put her little kitty arms around my neck.
Awww...

Originally Posted by calico2222

...Saying you're a cat owner is fine...we all know who owns who.
It doesn't bother me when people here say it, because I know how they mean it. But I do worry a little when I hear it from strangers.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

...Who cares what you call yourself...
You're right, it shoudn't matter -- but to "outsiders," referring to ourselves as cat owners seems to reinforce the perception of animals as property, y'know? Maybe by changing the way we speak of our cats, we can subtly influence the way others think of companion animals.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Maybe by changing the way we speak of our cats, we can subtly influence the way others think of companion animals.
Not likely. The majority of people won't pay a bit of attention the minute you start talking about your pets, they tune out and start thinking about what they need to put on their grocery list or something. Those that do listen usually have pets - so hardly need their thinking "changed".

If you want to change people to a more PC way of thinking - how about working on people you hear around you tossing around racial slurs and other hateful things?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

You're right, it shoudn't matter -- but to "outsiders," referring to ourselves as cat owners seems to reinforce the perception of animals as property, y'know? Maybe by changing the way we speak of our cats, we can subtly influence the way others think of companion animals.
I usually say that I am a cat owner to outsiders, but this is a great point. It does perpetuate the impression that animals are property.

I serve my cats. They tolerate me as long as I do their bidding.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I usually say that I am a cat owner to outsiders, but this is a great point. It does perpetuate the impression that animals are property.
I serve my cats. They tolerate me as long as I do their bidding.
First and foremost, do not shoot me - this is not how I feel, but it is the reality... My kitties are like my kids - that's how much I love them...
But... Well... In this society, we own our pets, no matter how you call it. We either bought them, or adopted them for a fee. We keep them in our homes, and while it is a great idea that they own us..... they really own our hearts; not us. They still depend on us, and if we don't want to feed them... well... the truth is, we don't. We have legal rights and responsibilities. We also have the legal right to transfer ownership, in which case we would re-home our pets to other families.
While there are breeders, and currency involved when transferring guardians for animals (or selling an animal, really), animal, will always be property. It hurts to say, but it is just how it is....

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, not gonna shoot you, but. If you have kids they live in your home, you are responsible for them, they depend on you and you have legal rights and responsbilites. If you don't feed them the same thing happens as with your child, they get sick, they could die and someone needs to report it to the authorities. You have the right to "transfer ownership" with kids to, it's called adoption or giving up parental rights. I'm not trying to criticize you, I would just like to see thinking change. Life should not be owned or considered property, it makes it too easy to abuse or dispose of at will for whatever reason. I have plenty of people, including family at times, who can't understaand that I treat my animals with the same rules as I would any human. That's my opinion, popular or unpopular, I cherish all life.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can say whatever you want, the spoiled cat knows the truth

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twokatz

Life should not be owned or considered property, it makes it too easy to abuse or dispose of at will for whatever reason.
"Owned" or not, that won't change. There's always those who abuse and even kill others - and there's no ownership involved there.

Good people do what's right, no matter what term you call something by.

But does everyone know what the funny thing is? I can't think of a single time I've ever said I own cats or even any of my reptiles. I say "I have" or "my", and as I pointed out already we use that exact same possessive in reference to people. I'm guessing most of us use have or my in sentences too, simply because it works better in a casual conversation.