I think I have strep thraot

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thursday night I was getting ready for bed and suddenly my throat hurt real bad to swallow. I figured I had just a minor sore throat and it would be better in morning, well I woke up and my throat hurt worse then the night before. Friday my throat hurt so bad, it felt like fire and hurt so bad to swallow, and my lymph nodes were starting to swell and hurt. Later that day I started to feel sick to my stomach. Saturday it still hurts real bad and my lymph nodes are swelled more than yesterday. I have some antibiotics left from when I had teeth pulled a few weeks back so I am taking them. Other than that I am taking it easy and hope this goes away by Tuesday.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I have some antibiotics left from when I had teeth pulled a few weeks back so I am taking them.
This isn't that good of an idea. Different bacteria require different antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amoxicillin seems to be the most common antiboitic give for strep and thats what I am taking. Besides it is the weekend its not like I can go to the doctor right this second. If by Mon. the amox is not working I will see about going to the doctor.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely sounds like strep to me, but you should go to the doctor or a clinic and get a throat culture to be sure and have them prescribe you something. I agree it's not good to take an antibiotic that was prescribed for another condition, plus you are going to need to take a full cycle, not just a few. The last time I had strep they also gave me a spray for my throat that numbed it and really helped with the pain so it's worth it.

Hope you feel better soon!

edit: oops, I was posting the same time you were. I would go first thing Monday if you can. Strep is NOT fun (as I'm sure you know).

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here doctors will hardly ever give the strep test. My kids have had it several times in the past and all they ever did was look in says its strep and give antibiotics.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Around here doctors will hardly ever give the strep test. My kids have had it several times in the past and all they ever did was look in says its strep and give antibiotics.
That's strange, but I guess they know what they are looking at. I would still ask if they could prescribe or recommend a numbing spray. Honestly, that is what got me through my last case of strep. It actually hurt to breathe or swallow and I thought my throat was closing up. It wasn't, it was just that irritated and the spray helped SO much.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does not hurt to breath but does hurt to swallow or eat.

Today had just been one of those days. I did not want to get up and do anything but has to go to town because I had a food order I had to go get. When leaving my car decided to break down again. Its a pulley thing. I had to wait 20-30 mins for husband to get back from break so I could tell him whats up so he could come and get me. Then he dang near almost broke his finger. He got out of the truck and went to close the door but forgot to move his finger. Needless to say its very swollen.