Vaccinations - Martha Stewart Show

catessa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Morning,

I watched The Martha Stewart Show last night (TIVOed it) and she had on her cat expert, Tracie Hotchner, from her radio show Cat Talk. I don't have Sirius radio so I don't know anything about this lady.

She firmly stated that any cat that is an adult and has had its kitten vaccinations should never be vaccinated again...just like our human children....and an adult cat from a shelter or a stray should be tested for antibodies and only vaccinated one time if it doesn't have any. Martha agreed.

Martha just adopted two more breeder produced cats (she bragged about having the CFA papers on them) making it 6 purebred cats in her home. She also said all of her Himis go outside.

I'd like to know who the breeder is? All the breeders websites I have looked at require their cats stay inside.

Doesn't New York have a rabies vaccination law? Is Martha promoting cat owners break the law?

What is your opinion on the Vaccinations?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know too much about Martha Stewart, but I have heard that cats don't need to be vaccinated EVERY year. I don't think I've heard adult cats never need them, though. Most states, I think, do require rabies, but the probably can only enforce it if someone is bitten by a cat.

It's too bad she doesn't get shelter cats, but maybe she had Himis growing up and just really loves them...??
As for going outside, I assume she has a huge estate, and they wouldn't really be at risk from traffic/predators. Every breeder I've known doesn't even want their cats going outdoors with a leash. It just begs for the cat to try to escape outside. That said, most likely the breeder is "proud" to be known by Martha Stewart, and overlooks the going outside part.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I don't encourage my pet owners to get yearly vaccinations since my vet doesn't reccomend them.

I also let my own cats (Exotics) and tell my pet owners their cats can go outside - provided they don't live on a main road.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Hi there

I don't encourage my pet owners to get yearly vaccinations since my vet doesn't reccomend them.

I also let my own cats (Exotics) and tell my pet owners their cats can go outside - provided they don't live on a main road.
Hey Sam, that's got me curious - are there predators in New Zealand? I've lost several cats to coyotes and foxes, so no more going outside for my kitties. I know it's different in Great Britain and your neck of the woods that it is here in the US...

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw the same episode which led me to do some research. I don't agree with vaccinations after kitten stage. However the law states otherwise and my vet won't do dental work without the distemperment shot.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are some knowledgeable people, including vets, who have recommended this for years, even when the recommendations were for yearly shots. They believe the same is true for dogs. Most if not all states require that rabies shots be current. I know it isn't as likely to cause problems with a cat compared to a dog but having a lapsed rabies shot can cause all kinds of problems. Also most boarding facilities require that all shots be current and that the animal has been vaccinated against kennel cough.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Hey Sam, that's got me curious - are there predators in New Zealand? I've lost several cats to coyotes and foxes, so no more going outside for my kitties. I know it's different in Great Britain and your neck of the woods that it is here in the US...
there are no predators in NZ. the most dangerous thing is a tiny spider about a 1/3 the size of your pinky and lots of them live inside houses