Mr Jinx acting weird

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need answers, Mr Jinx, my little buddy is not acting like himself he started running to get away from me, and is now growling and hissing at me. This is so unlike him its like a completely different cat is in my house? He is a male cat, unneutered. But he has always been really sweet to me. He has hissed at other cats that come into the yard, but he is acting like I am the enemy now. What do I do?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you could fill me in with some details.......How old is he? How long have you had him? You mentioned he isn't neutered, this can be especially significant, depending on age. Have you noticed any other behavioral or physical changes like food intake, water intake, litter use, excessive sleep or restlessness?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here are the details the second poster asked for, he is 5 years old, I have had him since he was 5 months old. He does not seem to have any changes in eating drinking or litter box behavior. He is an indoor cat. He sleeps like he normally does and he is active like he normally is.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any sudden behavior change to me is huge - and requires an immediate vet visit. He may well be in apain & this is his way of showing you.

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, well I got him back from the vets, and apparently it is some sort of bladder infection, they gave me amoxycillin, she also said his gums were white possibly anemia, but he has been eating normally. He is still hissing at me and hiding from me though, I wonder how fast he will be back to his old self.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bladder infections can be painful plus he the anemia is also not making him feel good. When he starts feeling better he will probably start acting like himself again. Prayers and for a fast recovery

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He also needs to be neutered, that can cause him health problems down the road leaving him unneutered, not the mention urine issues.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScottF

Ok, well I got him back from the vets, and apparently it is some sort of bladder infection, they gave me amoxycillin, she also said his gums were white possibly anemia, but he has been eating normally. He is still hissing at me and hiding from me though, I wonder how fast he will be back to his old self.
UTI is not to be taken lightly, be sure to give all medication regularly and completely. Did your vet take blood samples for testing? Anemia is a very serious condition, and shouldn't be taken lightly. I am surprised that your veterinarian suggested such a condition before test results, anemia is an extremely serious disorder.

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never noticed any symptoms of anemia. Up until last night, he has always been sweet, had a good appetite. He is always active. I really never saw any red flags.

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is feeling a little better, he still does not want me to pick him up, but he is grooming himself and is eating. Today, he mostly slept on my bed curled up under the covers

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As he gets feeling better his attitude will improve, they're like people. Some people when they are not feeling good they just want to be left alone. Prayers and

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well he is starting to act like himself again, he is definitley feeling better

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
being unneutered will lead to health issues especially with other cats coming into the yard and him being stressed by that. Are you going to get him neutered. I urge you to read up on issues he can have if you dont.

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I have good news. I go to the vet for a follow-up appointment tomorrow, but Mr Jinx is pretty much back to his ole lovable self. He was knocking stuff off the table and attacking my leg when I walk by. Plus he was running around the house tonight like he usually does.

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
More good news, he still has a touch of infection, but the doctor gave him a shot of cortisol or something like that, he also gave him a shot of antibiotic that lasts for 2 weeks and I have to take him back on Feb 4th. right now he is playing with a piece of string

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear he is feeling better! Just keep an eye on him and give him some extra love and TLC. He is lucky to have you, ofcourse you him as well
!