Food recommendation

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kitties.

One is 12 years old and has been eating Nutro Max Indoor Cat Adult formula for years. We also just recently adopted a kitten who is eating Science Diet kitten formula because that's what the shelter gave us.

Max (12 year old) is a very healthy and happy cat. Two questions about him. First off it just occurred to me, that although he'll always be that little kitten I held in my hand at only a week old he is most likely considered a senior now. If he's doing fine on the regular adult formula, is there any benefit or reason to switch him to senior? Also, would there be any point in upgrading his food to something like Evo if he's doing fine on the Nutro Max?

As for the kitten, I know I do not want to keep him on Science Diet. I'm debating which way to go with his food, but I think most of it is going to depend on Max. If I keep Max on the Nutro, I will probably get the Nutro kitten formula for the kitten. If I move him to Evo, well ditto that for the kitten formula. They eat separately now, but when the kitten is old enough for adult food they'll eat together (or when he learns how to get up on the counter where I keep Max's food dish
).

I don't want to feed "cheap" food, but Nutro is a lot more affordable than Evo. But I also want them to be as healthy as possible so I'm willing to splurge if it'll be that much better for them.

So in the end I guess what I'm really looking to find out, is Nutro a good food.. Or just an okay food?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think nutro is an okay food- better than some but not the best. I always think you should feed the best your cat will eat.

Since your cat is 12 I would recommend a vet visit and have the vet run a senior blood panel just to make sure everything is good and there aren't any underlying health issues--perhaps this would aid in what food you ultimately choose.

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutro Max is a true premium IMHO ... I second the blood panel...

and IMHO if it is not broke do not fix it ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Nutro Max is a true premium IMHO ... I second the blood panel...

and IMHO if it is not broke do not fix it ...
That's what I was kind of thinking about the food, if he's not having a problem it may be better to not switch it.

I do plan on taking him in to the vet for a checkup soon. The idea of having a senior panel run on him seems so odd to me, because to me he seems young at age 12 (my last cat lived to 17.5 years old), but I know it's a good idea so I'll probably have that done.

Thanks