SOS! Please help!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As some of you know, DH and I adopted the stray cat that had taken up residence at my Bil's business. DH took her for her spay yesterday. He brought her home this morning and I met her for the first time. I named her Daisy. She is approximately 1 year old, though very she is very petite. Her coloring is black with copper mingled in - she does not have distinct patches of color. I was very excited to meet her and things were going well at first. She let me pet her and seemed friendly. I even picked her up and carried her back to the litter box, just for future reference. She didn't try to bite or anything. Then she met Speck. He screamed like a panther and growls every time she gets anywhere close to him. She growls at him, but backs away. Speck is not a mean cat and I figure he will adjust in a few days. In an amazing first in cat politics, Siamie and Speck are actually sleeping cuddled up together under the dresser. I guess this is a show of solidarity against Daisy. Here's the problem: Since Speck and Daisy's introduction, now she has grown hostile toward me. She's tried to attack me three times. If I get anywhere near her, she starts to growl. I don't know what to do...I speak softly to her and she growls and hisses. I am now afraid to try to pet her. I am ready to douse everybody's butt in vanilla!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to start over with the intros. They never should have met so soon. So, find Daisy a safe room that you can confine her in and leave her there with the basics. Food, water, litter and something comfy like an old blanket or t-shirt. Let them sniff each other out under the door for a few days. You can also put a towel or somthing under thier food bowls and switch those every other day so they become aquainted with each other's smell. While your at it you can try to get her comfy around you again by spending time in the room with her. Don't look at her or talk directly to her but read out loud to your self and just let her get used to your voice and presence. Then start introductions slowely. The vanilla trick is a good one and you might want to try some feliway or rescue remedy for all the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

You need to start over with the intros. They never should have met so soon. So, find Daisy a safe room that you can confine her in and leave her there with the basics. Food, water, litter and something comfy like an old blanket or t-shirt. Let them sniff each other out under the door for a few days. You can also put a towel or somthing under thier food bowls and switch those every other day so they become aquainted with each other's smell. While your at it you can try to get her comfy around you again by spending time in the room with her. Don't look at her or talk directly to her but read out loud to your self and just let her get used to your voice and presence. Then start introductions slowely. The vanilla trick is a good one and you might want to try some feliway or rescue remedy for all the cats.
Thanks for the response. I agree, though things have settled down considerably now. Speck is not a mean cat at all, but his feelings are hurt, so he is acting up. For him to unite with Siamie is quite a historical event. Daisy still growls when I walk in the living room, but she has perched on the back of the sofa and is getting some rest. Speck and Siamie have taken up residence in the bedroom.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without a doubt you need to give Daisy a room to herself. This is "Kitty introductions 101" in general...................even more importantly she came into the home just spayed! This is not a simple, 1-2, alteration, it takes time to physically and hormonally heal. She found comfort and trust with you till suddenly all was taken away by exposing her presence without her having any security. It is essential to give new introduction kitties a separate room, a "safe haven" if you will..........This is where they will feel most comfortable when confronted by stressful situations.
You definitely need to start over........