TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Teachers having relations with 18yo students ok?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Teachers having relations with 18yo students ok?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Here is the article:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,480089,00.html

I don't see anything wrong with relations between people of age whether they are teacher/student or not as along as it isn't affecting classroom dynamics. Apparently a lot of people see something wrong with it though....
post #2 of 13
I agree that it shouldn't be illegal, but it should still be against the code of conduct for teachers, with immediate expulsion if it's proven. They are still in a position of power with someone who may not be emotionally developed enough to see that. If it's considered acceptable, what's stopping a teacher starting something with a 16/17 year old, and just waiting for the sex part until they're 18? It's very morally wrong, but not illegal if the student is 18.
post #3 of 13
As long as their 18, then their consenting adults. What i don't agree with is if the teacher is in the same school as the student, so he should be made to look for another position in another school.
post #4 of 13
Legally, it may be okay, morally I find it reprehensible. And morals trump legalities any day, IMO.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
I agree that it shouldn't be illegal, but it should still be against the code of conduct for teachers, with immediate expulsion if it's proven. They are still in a position of power with someone who may not be emotionally developed enough to see that. If it's considered acceptable, what's stopping a teacher starting something with a 16/17 year old, and just waiting for the sex part until they're 18? It's very morally wrong, but not illegal if the student is 18.
I agree! Well said!
post #6 of 13
The University I work for just passed a conduct rule that stipulates that TAs are NOT allowed to have romantic relations with their students, nor anyone that is in a position of authority and their subordinate.

However, I believe this particular issue should be a school district issue, seeing as it's LEGAL but not necessarily approved conduct.
post #7 of 13
As Sarah said, a teacher is in a position of power vis-Ã:censor:-vis a student, so a sexual relationship is entirely inappropriate, IMO, regardless of the student's age.

Two former colleagues married their former students, and in both cases the parties involved had enough sense to keep their relationships under everybody's radar until after graduation. I still wonder how objective their evaluations of academic performance were, however.

When I first started teaching, I was absolutely horrified to learn that a fellow teacher was simultaneously carrying on sexual affairs with two students, both in their late teens/early twenties. He had enough sense when confronted to agree that both students should be transferred out of his classes, but it really was an extreme lapse of judgment on his part, and he should have been fired.
post #8 of 13
A teacher here was arrested earlier this week for having relations with a 16 y/o girl. *shudders* He always freaked me out - he was too "cozy".

However - teachers with students, I guess I don't care the age - IMO isn't something that should be done. Esp. if the student is in that teacher's class.
post #9 of 13
That such a relationship is legal in the general sense does not necessarily make it appropriate between two specific individuals. A sexual relationship is never appropriate between teacher and student, regardless of their ages, and a teacher caught in one should lose his or her job.
post #10 of 13
to me, it comes down to the position of authority that the teacher has over a student, same reason in many companies that supervisors are not allowed to date their employees. Preferential treatment and even blackmail can occur (Since you're sleeping with me, I'll give you an A, if you don't keep sleeping with me I'll give you an F, that sort of thing) And I'm sorry, but 18 year olds are still way to immature to deal with this kind of situation
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
As Sarah said, a teacher is in a position of power vis-Ã:censor:-vis a student, so a sexual relationship is entirely inappropriate, IMO, regardless of the student's age.
exactly. it would be similar to if your boss made similar advances to you - as an adult, it's legal, but if s/he has power over you, it would be very questionable [plus could be considered sexual harassment...]
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
exactly. it would be similar to if your boss made similar advances to you - as an adult, it's legal, but if s/he has power over you, it would be very questionable [plus could be considered sexual harassment...]
That was my first thought. The district should put in policies because a sexual harassment suit is right around the corner. Students could easily say that they felt pressured into the relationship by the teacher threatening their grades or academic recommendations.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Legally, it may be okay, morally I find it reprehensible. And morals trump legalities any day, IMO.
couldnt have said it better
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Teachers having relations with 18yo students ok?