Nutro Dry too much $$

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking for a new dry food that we can purchase at a local grocery store or Walmart instead of a pet store. The Nutro Complete Care is through the roof. I have two cats not overweight that love dry food. One male, one female, one senior & one is adult.

I am trying to push for all wet but it's impossible when the female cat hides and the male cat wakes us up during the night.

The other 5 cats are over weight but don't eat as much dry as our two dry food kitties. One of the over weight kitties has asthma(not sure if that matters).

Any suggestions?

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just recently switched from Nutro Max to Petsmart's Authority brand due to price hikes.

If you have not completely ruled out pet supermarkets and you have a Petsmart near you I would suggest checking it out. The Authority is almost identical to the Nutro Max in nutrition and has no animal by-products. I pay $24.99 for a 20 lb bag and it feeds my 6 cats for about a month. I do give them canned food for dinner but the dry is available to them for most of the day and at night so your mileage may vary on how long a 20lb bag will last.

As for food you can find in supermarkets... I really have yet to find something that has no animal by-products and that is cheap. But then again my Walmart does not have a really large selection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mai_kitties

I just recently switched from Nutro Max to Petsmart's Authority brand due to price hikes.

If you have not completely ruled out pet supermarkets and you have a Petsmart near you I would suggest checking it out. The Authority is almost identical to the Nutro Max in nutrition and has no animal by-products. I pay $24.99 for a 20 lb bag and it feeds my 6 cats for about a month. I do give them canned food for dinner but the dry is available to them for most of the day and at night so your mileage may vary on how long a 20lb bag will last.

As for food you can find in supermarkets... I really have yet to find something that has no animal by-products and that is cheap. But then again my Walmart does not have a really large selection.
The other issue i forgot to mention is getting to Petsmart/Petco. It's just out of the way for us & we have no other need to be in that area.

I think I am going to push for no dry and little miss hider will just have to come out for more canned.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
walmarts maxxium is decent but not avail in bigger bags 8 lb is the biggest

purina naturals is about a 1$ a lb

a few of the ones are decent ie by products and corn are not main ingrediants ...

brandon farms is avail in some grocers about the price of max ... this is a grainy organic

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree Nutro prices have wow increased.
I am still getting it, I am afraid to switch since
I buy the nutro max, which I bought for UTI issues.
I buy only when on sale, also buy the large bag
and properly store for freshness.
Small bags are crazy expensive.
I am mixing with Taste of the Wild at this moment
plus canned, mostly fancy feast, since that is about
all she will eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

walmarts maxxium is decent but not avail in bigger bags 8 lb is the biggest

purina naturals is about a 1$ a lb

a few of the ones are decent ie by products and corn are not main ingrediants ...

brandon farms is avail in some grocers about the price of max ... this is a grainy organic
We just picked up Maxxium tonight. It was 10$ cheaper than Nutro. That's a lot of savings. We will see how they like it tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

We just picked up Maxxium tonight. It was 10$ cheaper than Nutro. That's a lot of savings. We will see how they like it tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas.
Maxximum is good, I used to feed that to my boys - here its just about $12.00 for a 8lb bag.

Good luck! I think Maxximum is the most decent food you can get at Walmart, isn't it? Thats the only place we have around here for options too.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate this stuff. With my recent situation money is the focus of nearly everything I do. So at one point I had to get the cheapest food I could find. Meowmix. And I know it's awful.

What I found, was every time I fed them I felt guilt because I knew it wasn't good for them. Then the generosity of friends came through and I was able to get them back on nutro max. But i see your point. It's just about 40 bucks for a 16 pound bag of nutro max kitten dry. that includes shipping. that's quite a bit compared to others.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
JT, i'd really recommend the Authority for your two - it's really a decent food for the price, & easily found at Petsmart [they will also ship it]. online it's $24.99 for 20 pounds [you'd have to check for shipping to your area].
authority ingredients:
Chicken & Rice Recipe
Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine.
nutro natural choice ingredients:
Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Rice Flour, Rice Protein Concentrate, Herring Meal, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Oat Fiber, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Menhaden Fish Oil, Choline Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Inositol, Dried Bacillus Licheniformis Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Chicory Extract, Cranberry Powder, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid.
Nutro max roasted chicken ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavors, Chicken, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Cranberry, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Dried Blueberry, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mai_kitties

I'd keep an eye on their coat, then. Authority gave Willow really bad dandruff.