State of Emergency

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we're not the only area going through this harsh cold spell but I'm a little peeved! Our county has officially declared a state of emergency. All the local schools are closed from grade schools to universities. The temp is 15 below with wind chills as low as the 20s. However, my work has not closed.... and I work for the county in the county/city building. If the wind chills are normally 20 below they'll be 30 below downtown where my building is! I'm tempted to call off but our policy is if you call off the day before/after a holiday (which Monday is) you lose out on your holiday pay! So, basically I'd get docked a days pay for being safe. They are advising layers IF you have to go out and to cover everything! I can't wait.

Ok, I just heard the low for night was 20 below with wind chills reaching 50 below!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're in the same boat here too. Freezing windchills. They've issued warnings and advisories..but no closures. Stay warm everyone!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They declare a state of emergency when its really cold there? I wonder what the point of that really is. We just deal with the cold around here

Although I would rather stay home...unfortunately my job is an essential service, so that stinks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

They declare a state of emergency when its really cold there? I wonder what the point of that really is. We just deal with the cold around here

Although I would rather stay home...unfortunately my job is an essential service, so that stinks!
When the wind chills break 40 below... yes, they prefer that people stay inside and home. Less problems that way. In the two blocks I walked to work my eye lashes froze... only because they were the only part of me exposed.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work at a bank. They've only closed once in forty years. (and that thing about banker's hours? No. I'm there at eight and I leave at five and work one Saturday a month)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

When the wind chills break 40 below... yes, they prefer that people stay inside and home. Less problems that way. In the two blocks I walked to work my eye lashes froze... only because they were the only part of me exposed.
Curiousity.

Is this type of weather normal for where you are?

In different parts of Canada, if you were to declare a state of emergency every time the windchill got to -40F or -40C, there are some cities that would never be functioning as that's the norm temps for winter.

Where I am, this weather is not the norm, colder than I've ever seen it at -22C with windchills of -30 (-22F). But the only thing that's done here is, a cold weather advisory is issued, and children in public schools (under highschool) are not allowed out for recess.

I have yet to see the schools actually close here. School buses have not run due to snowfall or fog or ice, but I have not seen the school close.

It is cold people's, stay warm....bundle um and cover your skin if you have to go out.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Curiousity.

In different parts of Canada, if you were to declare a state of emergency every time the windchill got to -40F or -40C, there are some cities that would never be functioning as that's the norm temps for winter.

Where I am, this weather is not the norm, colder than I've ever seen it at -22C with windchills of -30 (-22F). But the only thing that's done here is, a cold weather advisory is issued, and children in public schools (under highschool) are not allowed out for recess.

I have yet to see the schools actually close here. School buses have not run due to snowfall or fog or ice, but I have not seen the school close.

It is cold people's, stay warm....bundle um and cover your skin if you have to go out.
I can say that in my experience, this weather is not normal. The last time the weather was anywhere near this cold was in 1994 in Indiana.

We can handle snow and ice, but weather this cold? Not one of our strong points.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's bitterly cold here in Michigan - your neighbor just to the north! No emergencies - just warnings about the temps.

Normally, on Friday, my boyfriend takes the crosstown bus to get here and I pick him up nearby (visually impaired - doesn't drive). But we talked last night and I said I didn't want him standing at the bus stop... what if the bus is off schedule -early or late? No -- I am going to pick him up. And he lives 35 miles from here!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the majority of the schools in Wisconsin are closed for the second day.
Many in rural areas as the buses cannot start and run well in these temps. Right snow -16F with wind chills at -37F!! But people (not me) still have to go to work though...
These temps are normal for a few days most winters.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Curiousity.

Originally Posted by emrldsky

I can say that in my experience, this weather is not normal. The last time the weather was anywhere near this cold was in 1994 in Indiana.

We can handle snow and ice, but weather this cold? Not one of our strong points.
:YEAH: What Jade said. We can handle snow and ice and nasty precipitation but these super low temps are not normal for the area.

Whats even better is I just came to find out this afternoon that the heat was broke last night and they just got it fixed around 11am today. No wonder there were people in the building wearing their coats, hats and gloves this morning... but even knowing this, they didn't close our building.

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in a suburb of chicago & its really cold, a lot of schools have closed but businesses are still open. It was -20 this morning and to top it all off my SUV wouldn't start the battery apparently is dead from the cold... now i live in an apt complex and do not have a garage but its a 2002 Acura ok so it's not super old & it runs great so I figured it would be ok I didn't think it wouldn't start...so I had to call in at work & my boss is super upset!!! I work for a very small company so I can see how I am needed but come on it's not like I planned for it to be this cold, I thought my car would withstand the chilling temps but still their expecting me to cab it to work. Well, after I saw how much a new battery is going to cost me & a cab fare forget it I don't think so, times are hard & money is tight. Sorry I guess I kinda got off the subject, still kinda upset though that I'm getting made to feel bad b/c I won't take a cab to work. The Metra trains arent even running today!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont' feel bad... especialy if the public transpo isn't even running. I lucked out that my car did start (it's a 99 and I think the battery is original) but what if you'de geninely been sick or had some other reason for calling off. That's what sick/personal days are for. If I wouldn't miss holiday pay on Monday for being gone today I would have called in too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I was shocked when I read that too! -50 with the windchill is pretty normal winter weather here. Heck the other day with the windchill it was -72 F here.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I was shocked when I read that too! -50 with the windchill is pretty normal winter weather here. Heck the other day with the windchill it was -72 F here.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing is though, you are used to that type of weather. Places that aren't, feel it differently and in turn act differently about it.

We're definately not used to this weather (-20's C here) but its not completely abnormal either. I couldn't imagine living in Winnipeg, especially after experiencing this cold blast which is not near as bad as what you guys get on a regular winter. I think I might quit my whining now LOL.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

A lot has to do with what you're used to and what you have to wear. If you're expecting neg windchills in winter, you have the apparel to wear to beat it. Our low in the winter is normally in the low 30 to mid 20's, so neg windchill factors our bodies aren't and wardrobe aren't ready do deal with that! I had to break out my heavy insulated coat that I bought 3 years ago and haven't worn at all because I haven't needed it. I'm still looking for my gloves.

When I lived in Guam I came home in December for a visit, and thought I was going to freeze to death...and it was only in the 30's. Everyone else is going around in just sweatshirts and I was bundled up in long johns, heavy coat, mittens and scarf. It just depends on what your body is used to.