TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Latest on the atheist bus advertisments
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Latest on the atheist bus advertisments - Page 2

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoriana View Post

Yes i can see now this post is probably not going to get good replies or wil be seen as irrelevent, but i'm willing to take the chance.
Actually, I agree with you
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoriana View Post
As a non Christian i have (of my own accord) been in volunteer jobs through St Vincent de pauls and the Salvation Army. Of course, none of my fellow co-workers knew i was not christian because i chose not to tell them and just get on with my job. I've found non-christians don't work in those two groups, and as loving a message as they tend to send out, the churches and places i've been to did not like atheists and pagans. It's just so funny how as long as you go along with someone else beliefs and nod along and don't bring up your own ideals, that everything is fine. But once you speak up, you get attacked. Now that wasn't me complaining about anything, but trying to make a point. Now i won' start ranting about the whole certain 'religious people telling non religious people they can't possibly be good or moral without a belief system', because that's a whole new thread!

But once people start approaching me in the street or while i'm shopping, and attacking me with their beliefs, THATS when i get angry. A billboard or poster is not an attack. Having a mormon or born again come up to you (true story) and TELL you that you are lost, you NEED to find god or you will burn in hell (oh i find that one such a loving line) that's when it's an attack on other groups. And yes, my family is of mixed beliefs so i'm not pulling this out of my behind.

You know, if they guy has a major issue, it's fine that he spoke up about it, but an entire company shouldn't have to bend to the wishes of one employee, employees are generally replaceable.

And i don't see how a sign saying 'there probably is no god' is more offensive than a sign saying 'there is a god'. One side v another side imo.

A bus driver will come up against drunk, abusive people, loud children who swear and damage property, aggro old ladies who are extremely offensive and always think they're right. And these things are going to be easier for him to deal with than a banner that is supposedly attacking his faith, a banner he probably won't see for however long his shift lasts? Why be a bus driver if you aren't ready to deal with every day drama.

Yes i can see now this post is probably not going to get good replies or wil be seen as irrelevent, but i'm willing to take the chance.
Amen to that (lol). All very good points, IMO.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoriana View Post
A bus driver will come up against drunk, abusive people, loud children who swear and damage property, aggro old ladies who are extremely offensive and always think they're right. And these things are going to be easier for him to deal with than a banner that is supposedly attacking his faith, a banner he probably won't see for however long his shift lasts? Why be a bus driver if you aren't ready to deal with every day drama.
I don't think that the point in the above paragraph equates with the issue for the driver. It's not a question of dealing with "every day drama", which all of us in our lives run into now and then. It's a question of being made an unwilling party to actively promoting an ideology which he finds reprehensible.

Though it's their prerogative, I think it's foolish for the bus company to carry such ads.
post #34 of 44
If I ever drive a bus and they have ads for Nike on it I'm going to refuse to drive it because Nike uses children in sweatshops to make their product and I don't want any part in that.... or I'm going to refuse to drive a bus that carries an ad with a skinny model in it because I think that encourages eating disorders....or I'll refuse to drive a bus that has a McD's as on it because it promotes childhood obesity.

Anyone else getting my point? Just because you are the driver of a bus carrying a particular advertisement does not mean that you put it there or that you support it, it's your job to drive the bus. Maybe bus companies should stop selling advertisements completely and then you can drive the bus for free because they won't have enough revenue to pay your salary. Hey! Speaking of that, maybe the guy should refuse his pay because part of it may have come from the atheist goup
post #35 of 44
The bus driver stood against something he didn't believe in, despite the risks to his employment.

Doesn't matter the cause, it's refreshing to see someone firm enough in their beliefs to stand up.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
If I ever drive a bus and they have ads for Nike on it I'm going to refuse to drive it because Nike uses children in sweatshops to make their product and I don't want any part in that.... or I'm going to refuse to drive a bus that carries an ad with a skinny model in it because I think that encourages eating disorders....or I'll refuse to drive a bus that has a McD's as on it because it promotes childhood obesity.

Anyone else getting my point? Just because you are the driver of a bus carrying a particular advertisement does not mean that you put it there or that you support it, it's your job to drive the bus. Maybe bus companies should stop selling advertisements completely and then you can drive the bus for free because they won't have enough revenue to pay your salary. Hey! Speaking of that, maybe the guy should refuse his pay because part of it may have come from the atheist goup
Sure I get your point. I understand what you're saying, but I have to disagree. Here's why. Everyone has their own line that they refuse to cross - I hope, anyway.
For instance, would you lie for your boss? Maybe it depends on the lie. Ok, how bad is it to say he's not there when he is? Perhaps thats ok.
What if he wants you to lie to his wife that he's in a meeting, but you know he's really having a nice lunch with a secretary. Hmmm. None of your business, so you go through with it.
What if he wants you deny that he sexually harrassed a co-worker?

What if you worked for a no-kill animal shelter, but they changed the policy and wanted you to euthanize the animals?

What if you kept the Sabbath as part of your religious beliefs, but your employer changed your hours?

Like I said earlier, the bus company has every right to advertise whatever they want.

It was nice of the man's employer to try their best to accomodate him.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
Sure I get your point. I understand what you're saying, but I have to disagree. Here's why. Everyone has their own line that they refuse to cross - I hope, anyway.
For instance, would you lie for your boss? Maybe it depends on the lie. Ok, how bad is it to say he's not there when he is? Perhaps thats ok.
What if he wants you to lie to his wife that he's in a meeting, but you know he's really having a nice lunch with a secretary. Hmmm. None of your business, so you go through with it.
What if he wants you deny that he sexually harrassed a co-worker?

What if you worked for a no-kill animal shelter, but they changed the policy and wanted you to euthanize the animals?

What if you kept the Sabbath as part of your religious beliefs, but your employer changed your hours?

Like I said earlier, the bus company has every right to advertise whatever they want.

It was nice of the man's employer to try their best to accomodate him.
well, as for as lying for my boss, that is not part of my job unlike this guy's job is driving the bus.

As far as a shelter changing their policies, I would look for another job, but the bus company policies did not change, they gave advertising space to a paying customer, not condoning the beliefe, or non-belief as the case may be, not asking the driver to tell his passengers that there is no God

If my employer changed my hours then I would either ask to have my hours changed back, or get a different job, the bus company did not ask the driver to do anything different, not change his route, his shift, or anything

And yes it was nice of the bus co to accomodate his requests, but what if every driver refused to drive a certain bus because of the adverts on it?
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
well, as for as lying for my boss, that is not part of my job unlike this guy's job is driving the bus.

As far as a shelter changing their policies, I would look for another job, but the bus company policies did not change, they gave advertising space to a paying customer, not condoning the beliefe, or non-belief as the case may be, not asking the driver to tell his passengers that there is no God

If my employer changed my hours then I would either ask to have my hours changed back, or get a different job, the bus company did not ask the driver to do anything different, not change his route, his shift, or anything

And yes it was nice of the bus co to accomodate his requests, but what if every driver refused to drive a certain bus because of the adverts on it?
All I'm trying to say is we have lines that we refuse to cross. You won't lie for your boss, etc. The bus driver was not driving a bus with a big sign on it that, in his opinion, insulted God before. To him, his job changed. That's where he drew his line. It is within his rights, just as it is within the bus company's rights to terminate him if they chose.

If every driver refused, I guess the bus company would take down the advertisement or find new employees. That would be up to them.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
All I'm trying to say is we have lines that we refuse to cross. You won't lie for your boss, etc. The bus driver was not driving a bus with a big sign on it that, in his opinion, insulted God before. To him, his job changed. That's where he drew his line. It is within his rights, just as it is within the bus company's rights to terminate him if they chose.

If every driver refused, I guess the bus company would take down the advertisement or find new employees. That would be up to them.
but do you see where this could get out of control, much as being "PC" has gotten out of control? There is something that offends everyone in some way or another or goes against their beliefs. if everyone refused to do their job because something about it offended them, we'd have a whole lotta people refusing to do their job
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
but do you see where this could get out of control, much as being "PC" has gotten out of control? There is something that offends everyone in some way or another or goes against their beliefs. if everyone refused to do their job because something about it offended them, we'd have a whole lotta people refusing to do their job
Many times, standing up for your beliefs results in consequences. As long as that is understood and accepted, I don't think it will.

I imagine the bus driver endures a lot of things that offend him. He thought the ad was offending God and he wasn't willing to take part in offending Him.

The article was short, but I didn't see where the driver expected to be accomodated. If he did, I wouldn't feel the same way.

I respect your opinion, though, and I agree that "PC" is way out of control.
post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
If I ever drive a bus and they have ads for Nike on it I'm going to refuse to drive it because Nike uses children in sweatshops to make their product and I don't want any part in that.... or I'm going to refuse to drive a bus that carries an ad with a skinny model in it because I think that encourages eating disorders....or I'll refuse to drive a bus that has a McD's as on it because it promotes childhood obesity.

Anyone else getting my point? Just because you are the driver of a bus carrying a particular advertisement does not mean that you put it there or that you support it, it's your job to drive the bus. Maybe bus companies should stop selling advertisements completely and then you can drive the bus for free because they won't have enough revenue to pay your salary. Hey! Speaking of that, maybe the guy should refuse his pay because part of it may have come from the atheist goup
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
but do you see where this could get out of control, much as being "PC" has gotten out of control? There is something that offends everyone in some way or another or goes against their beliefs. if everyone refused to do their job because something about it offended them, we'd have a whole lotta people refusing to do their job
I don't know about other cities, but in L.A. a lot of the buses have ads that are like shrink-wrap that cover the bus completely. A lot of them are for movies or TV shows that I find offensive. (I find a lot of movies and TV shows offensive -- sigh). What if a driver felt like me? Should the company be responsible for finding me a nonoffensive ad?

I guess I feel that if everyone who agrees to drive a bus could chose which ads offended them, it would be very difficult for the bus company (which is the county in this case) to accommodate all of their likes and dislikes. I'm glad the driver in this case could be accommodated, but, as a general rule, it could become a serious problem for the company.
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breal76 View Post
He just can't do that. The same with pharmacist and their religious beliefs on birth control, or the morning after pill. No one cares about your religion at work because they don't pay you for your opinion.

I think this part of the article says it all.
He certainly CAN do that.
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
Just curious, but what would you all say if an atheist had refused to drive the bus with the Christian advertisements?
I would say that, that is his perogative. Why would I care?
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
The bus driver stood against something he didn't believe in, despite the risks to his employment.

Doesn't matter the cause, it's refreshing to see someone firm enough in their beliefs to stand up.
I agree and I think it is wonderful that his employer is trying to accommodate him as much as possible.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Latest on the atheist bus advertisments