Math Genesis?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone explain in simple terms why there is a big difference in the numbers between Farenhite temps and Celsis temps? (I know I spelled it wrong). This is for temps above Zero degrees F.

When you look at the minus temps - its a very small difference between the numbers.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, actually at -40 degrees, both are the same. So as it gets warmer (and colder), further away from the center, as it were, the numbers seem to diverge more.

Yeah. LOL

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are just different temperature scales.

The Celsius scale is based on water melting at zero degrees and boiling at 100 degrees.

The Fahrenheit scale is based on water melting at 32 degrees and boiling at 212 degrees.

To convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, add 32 to the Celsius temperature and multiply by 1.8.

To convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, subtract 32 and divide by 1.8.

The fact that -40 is the same on both scales is the result of the math.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001731.html

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, don't know if this'll help, but here's what wikipedia has...
In the Fahrenheit scale, the freezing point of water is 32 degrees Fahrenheit (°F) and the boiling point 212 °F (at standard atmospheric pressure), placing the boiling and freezing points of water exactly 180 degrees apart. A degree on the Fahrenheit scale is 1/180th part of the interval between the freezing point and the boiling point. On the Celsius scale, the freezing and boiling points of water are 100 degrees apart, hence the unit of this scale. A temperature interval of one degree Fahrenheit is an interval of 5⁄9 of a degree Celsius. The Fahrenheit and Celsius scales converge at −40 degrees (i.e. −40 °F and −40 °C represent the same temperature).
which would explain why the lower temps are closer to each other.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Fahrenheit scale set the coldest temp he could measure at the time (salty icewater) was to zero, and freezing is at 32 with boiling at 212. (180 degree difference)
The Celsius Scale set 0 for freezing and 100 for boiling (100) degree difference.
1 degree difference in Fahrenheit is not equal to one degree difference in Celsius.

One degree F = 5/9 of a degree C

So if you start with zero on the Celsius scale, you're already at 32 on the Fahrenheit scale.

If you want to convert back and forth between the two:

F= (5/9) x C +32

and

C= (F-32) x (5/9)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

well, don't know if this'll help, but here's what wikipedia has...
which would explain why the lower temps are closer to each other.
That was exactly what I was trying to get at.