To Breeders and Future Breeders

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as I've been in cats (showing, breeding) I have never run into this before.

If someone contacted you and wanted a show kitten and everything was going well, would you be willing to show the kitten once to be sure it liked showing before you sold the kitten?

Talked to Jack's breeder and I've never had this happen to me when getting show cats. She doesn't want to registered the kitten until she takes him to a show and is sure he is "showing material". Not that he's not show quality - he is, but she wants to be sure he will like showing. She wants me to have a quality cat that likes showing - if he doesn't then she would rather me wait for that "perfect" show kitten.

I find that very cool and caring and something that maybe breeders don't even think about. Would you be willing to do the same for your buyer?

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would feel more comfortable selling a show quality kitten if I had shown it and made sure it was show material (looks and personality). And if my future kitten's breeder wanted me to wait for my kitten so they could show it once or twice I would be fine with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always just bought a show quality kitten and it was up to me to train and show and I never had a problem doing so. It kinda took me back. I was the one the brought up about putting him in a show at 4 months before I got him as he would be 6 months before I showed him, and wanted some experience.

But never had one say "I won't sell you a show kitten till its been shown once". No problem, but kinda of a cool thing to do - a breeder that really cares what each person gets - sorta like fitting the right kitten to the right family I guess.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no guarantee though, one of mine was the perfect show cat until 9-10 months. So while it's nice she's taking him to a show first, I don't think it makes that much difference in the long run.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True. I had a Turkish Angora that was fine as a kitten but hated it as an adult and had to quit showing him - only cat I owned that did not get a grand.

I'm sure he will be fine

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's really generous of the breeder!! I'm letting one of Minnosh's kittens go to a potential show home, but they are so eager to have him, they wouldn't want to wait a day more than they have to
But I guess since you wanted Jack for showing, they're going to make sure that's what he will do. How nice!

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In Sweden it's quite common that breeders show whole litters before they're sold. Most breeders here belong to FIFÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] or the Nordic IDP so therefor it's not optional to register kittens. All kittens have to be registred according to their rules.

However, there's no guarantee that a kitten that has been shown will become a show cat. A lot can happen when it comes to the look and as for behaviour... I've never seen a kitten behave bad at a show. Never.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that is a nice gesture and her heart is in the right place even if it isn't common

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

However, there's no guarantee that a kitten that has been shown will become a show cat. A lot can happen when it comes to the look and as for behaviour... I've never seen a kitten behave bad at a show. Never.
Yes, they wait until they are adults to misbehave! I agree that there is NO guarantee, kittens that show very well may decide they hate the showhall as adults.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done it before and will most probably do it again, show the kitten first before handing over to the new owner that is.

It's a double edged sword though. It could mean that either of the following happens:

1. I decide to keep the kitten for myself or
2. The new owner decides that the kitten is "too good" (even though they were asking for a show neuter" and decide not to buy.
3. The new owner wants me to keep showing the cat! Of course there's not really any problem with that except that some of the time I have to keep the kitten for longer.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't done this before but I would be happy too. I find here in New Zealand that a lot of people prefer to buy kittens that are older, around the 9 month mark - all vaccinations done, desexed and shown. It's good to be able to show a kitten as a baby then get it a lovely pet home although by then it breaks my heart to let them go

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never known that to happen here (at least amongst the breeders I regularly talk to!)

There are several factors why it doesn't tend to happen here:

1) If a cat takes a dislike to showing it is rarely apparent at the first show when they are at that outgoing excitable age, it's usually coming up to or around a year old when they start becoming socially mature and being more aware of being taken out of their established territory and smelling strangers in the next pen (doubly so for entire cats).

2) Housing costs in the UK are much higher than in other countries so space for hobbies such as breeding is an issue for pretty much everyone except the ultra-rich so holding on to a kitten that has a home waiting and is not going to be part of your own breeding programme is probably holding you up in terms of your own breeding plans. (Just to put it in perspective, average 2 bedroom house/apartment price througout the UK at the end of last year, taking into account the economic situation which has seen house prices fall, was the equivalent of half a million dollars).

3) Most of the people in the UK who show are breeders themselves. The vast majority of kittens with good show potential are promised to other breeders as future studs or queens, if the kitten is 'something special' in terms of type and temperament then if it ends up despising being shown that doesn't mean it's not going to be a huge boon to a breeding programme.

4) People who don't breed generally don't see showing as something that needs to be tested before they buy - bear in mind that NO good breeder in the UK will charge a different adoption fee for pet or show, it goes against registry guidelines, so no-one is paying more for a potential show cat than a pet quality cat - if one can be shown it is a bonus, it's not something you pay extra for so kitten buyers are not looking to ensure they are getting anything they paid extra for before taking a kitten home.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All good points, but I'm not really worried. Anne was not the one to suggest about showing - I was. I mentioned about getting him to a show in February before I got him as he would be 6 months old before I showed him and just wanted to get him in the show for a taste of it before he came to me.

I don't know if its her policy to do this with any show kitten she is selling....just seemed unusual. I only had one cat (Turkish Angora) that didn't take to showing - the rest were fine as kittens and adults.

She told me that she didn't expect him to not like it, as he's been out around other people, vets, etc and is pretty laid back in public - not shy or scared. He's not a dominate personality either - he'll "defer" to Charlie. But she said he's gonna be a big boy; easy 12 lbs (dad is 13 lbs).

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL 12lbs must be big for an Oci, I imagine like OSH they are bundles of muscle but a similar weight range? Having said that I have an OSH at 10lbs and another at 13lbs (but not fat in the slightest), their build is noticeably different though, the bigger ones head is noticeably larger than the smaller ones - they both fall within the SOP for build and body type though!

I wish I could show Jacob, he is a handsome boy who would love it I am sure, he is so relaxed being handled he just goes all floppy and purrs and purrs whenever anyone picks him up or handles him, alas his xyphoid process dislocation means that he can never be shown, I am more determined than ever that my next cat WILL be showable!

So I can understand the point of the thread - however I think I would rather take them to their first show myself, and you know what, the breeders I know if I had a kitten from them they would probably be there to help out anyway - England being a small country has its benefits, you turn up at a show and there are loads of breeders there that you have gotten to know

Edit to add: that yes the one incident I know of the breeder showing a kitten for a new family was when the family couldn't pick the kitten up right away and they would otherwise miss out on a show or two - that makes sense, especially if the breeder is attending the show anyway, to take the little one along too!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

But she said he's gonna be a big boy; easy 12 lbs (dad is 13 lbs).
I had to giggle at 12lbs being called 'big'
Funny how they differ in size, my boys being average at just over 14lbs.
(Average being 6-8kg, 13-17.5lbs)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Good grief no, of my 3 cats the smallest is less than 8lbs and the largest is 13 and I consider him a huge cat - I wouldn't be able to pick them up if they were any bigger, what with my arthritis!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After dealing with rexes for over 10 yrs (average 6-7 lbs)...to me 12 lbs is HEAVY! I can't imagine showing those Maine Coon cats going an easy 18 lbs - having to carry that around in the show hall to the rings!

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think showing a cat for a potential show family has to do with how serious the family/person is to showing. If they have shown before and they request it, I will do it. Otherwise, my show babies seem to adjust well. A few will be showing with me at the Toledo show in Feb (TICA).
As for weight, my 14 year old DSH is 7 lbs and she feels light to me. My other cats: Zenny is 12 lbs and 10 months, Rajjah is 12 lbs at 2 years old, Gladys is 10 lbs at 3.5 years old.
Daisy

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

After dealing with rexes for over 10 yrs (average 6-7 lbs)...to me 12 lbs is HEAVY!
My Sphynx cat falls in that range, I also think 12 would be quite bigger comparison wise.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

lol Me too.

When a friend of mine wanted to get a breeding quality Turkish Angora kitten, the breeder insisted her to go to a show with her and the kitten to hear what the judge thinks about the kittens quality (show quality isn't always=breeding quality but at least it gives some directions). So they all went to the show and now my friend has a very lovely white Turkish Angora girl who is so overfriendly that I can't even take a picture of her 'coz she immediately climbs on my shoulder purring when I go to see her.