I have had bad migraines the last two days

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if the crazy weather is causing them.
It has been between 31-33 every day in the which is normal but in the afternoon it is hitting between 67-71.
I am also worried about Meeko having surgery on Monday.
My mdeicine has not helped the migraines very much at all.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
weather is a known trigger for migraines in many people. mine have been quite bad the last few days, as well.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending healing prayers and vibes out to you all
I try the ibu & Sudafed non-drying first; if that fails, I take an Amerge, which for me, costs $299 for 9. Migraines are so excrucating

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of feel better vibes coming your way.

No doubt the air pressure may have something to do with it. It has gone up and down so quickly the last few days it is no wonder people don't feel well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
I still have it but its not as bad as it was.
I took Advil Migraine and Maxalt.
I think I will ask the dr about another migraine medicine.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do ya'll have sinus problems too? Usually when I get a weather-related migraine, it starts with a sinus headache, so I take half dose of sinus medicine and half dose of Aleve (ibuprofen would work too) and that helps immensely.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Thanks,
I still have it but its not as bad as it was.
I took Advil Migraine and Maxalt.
I think I will ask the dr about another migraine medicine.
i've just started seeing a new doc for mine - a neurologist that specializes in headaches. don't like some of the things he wants me to do, tho - stop my imitrex [that stuff was a Godsend!] stop drinking tea [c'mon - stopping smoking would be easier!], etc. but i'm going to try it for the next 6 weeks. if i don't see any changes i'll talk to him then.

Originally Posted by emrldsky

Do ya'll have sinus problems too? Usually when I get a weather-related migraine, it starts with a sinus headache, so I take half dose of sinus medicine and half dose of Aleve (ibuprofen would work too) and that helps immensely.
prior to my surgery, i used to take a combo of OTC drugs that worked quite well for mine - excedrin + ibuprofen + ketoprofen. but i can't take NSAIDS anymore
. i haven't found that sinus things help mine much, tho.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

prior to my surgery, i used to take a combo of OTC drugs that worked quite well for mine - excedrin + ibuprofen + ketoprofen. but i can't take NSAIDS anymore
. i haven't found that sinus things help mine much, tho.
They don't work that great when taken alone, but with another pain reliever it's the only thing to stop a migraine from taking over. If I get a migraine before I take that dosage, I'm SOL. I have to deal with the pain because eating/drinking anything at that point brings on vomiting, as does taking meds. I just have to sleep it off.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also worried about Meeko having surgery on Monday
My migraines are usually brought on by stress. I've never noticed them being weather-related llike a few folks here have said.

I don't know if you've tried this rememdy; sometimes it really helps, other times it doesn't. Find some feverfew capsules (any store that sells vitamins & supplements should carry these; I actually grow feverfew plants in my garden. They look like a small white daisy.) Anyway, as soon as I see the aura that accompanies my migraines I take 2 or 3 capsules (or eat some leaves) and drink something with a lot of caffeine---a Pepsi or a strong cup of coffee. I lie down for a bit, and I'd say 75% of the time the headache goes away.

I hope you feel better soon.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

and drink something with a lot of caffeine---a Pepsi or a strong cup of coffee.
There's a huge difference in caffeine content between those two. As far as sodas go, Pepsi doesn't have nearly as much as some do. You'd get nearly twice the dose taking something like Excedrin or a similar knock off generic.

Lots of things cause migraines - food allergies and intolerance tend to be very high on the list for most people. Arthritis in the neck is another very common cause (and will be something affected by weather). Blood pressue/blood flow to the brain/CSF levels or pressure problems can cause migraines. Deficiencies can cause migraines - I believe B12 is a very common one to since it causes neurological symptoms, too. Hormones (and no, I'm not just referring to sex hormones) are another cause. All of these may be things that could trigger migraines that may not respond to typical migraine medicines. There are also rebound headaches and migraines that can be caused by whatever you take to try to stop them.

If bad enough, and treatments aren't working, make your doctor look deeper for the cause.

I still get them occasionally. My last one was triggered by metronidazole, others tend to be part of my dysautonomia.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas.
I had another bad one earlier today.
I never get them 3 days in a row.
I get them from so many things.
I am going to see the allergy dr soon.
My allergies have been bad.
I know part of it is because I am scared for Meeko.
I have not slept much.
Another reason is the weather is messed up.
I get migraines from food and my period also.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Thanks for the ideas.
I had another bad one earlier today.
I never get them 3 days in a row.
I get them from so many things.
I am going to see the allergy dr soon.
My allergies have been bad.
I know part of it is because I am scared for Meeko.
I have not slept much.
Another reason is the weather is messed up.
I get migraines from food and my period also.
Mine are hormonal . most months I can get by with t-3's and extra strength liquid avdil. Some months the only think that helps, is morphine and zopheran sp? It is an anti nausea drug. all other drugs I've tried have been uneffective.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i don't have one today
but it's the 1st day since wednesday afternoon i've been pain free. i think it's mostly due to the front being pretty much over.

i have many, many food intolerances, some of which i KNOW will trigger a migraine - i avoid those. but i can't do anything about the weather
or the various pollens that are present during the fall & spring [those are my bad times, usually].

stress also causes me issues, as well. it's very stressful right now for me at work...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

Mine are hormonal . most months I can get by with t-3's and extra strength liquid avdil. Some months the only think that helps, is morphine and zopheran sp? It is an anti nausea drug. all other drugs I've tried have been uneffective.
Zofran (ondansetron)? That one works great for me, probably because it acts on the vagus nerve. I've been given phenergan (promethazine) and it was horrible - I'm not sure if it was because it adversely interacts with another medication I must take (pharmacists and docs are clueless - they never caught it) or because it's an anti-cholinergic. For people with what I have, anti-cholinergics can sometimes cause some pretty weird reactions on their own.

I wish I could get another prescription for zofran. The nausea in part is from my NCS, which is being treated by a cardiologist - I doubt anti-nausea meds are really something he prescribes often. But who knows?

mews2much - You have a lot of possible triggers. Are you keeping a journal? You really need to do this, write down everything you can. Food you ate, what you drank, what that food might have been seasoned with, weather, if you exposed and breathing in any sort of irritating smells/chemicals. This could really help doctors figure out possible causes a lot quicker.

Would you (and anyone else reading) believe that capsicum is a common headache and migraine trigger? Yet it's not a food intolerance that many are aware of even existing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can not have any kinds of diet sugars.
They give me instant migraines.
Chocolate does it sometimes also.
I used to write everything down years ago.
Hot weather gives me migraines.
They never last more then 2 days except this time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a bit vague. Can you think of everything you ate or drank these last few days? Maybe it's something you're unintentionally retrigging the migraine with and that's why it's not going away.

How's your blood pressure over the last three days?