Question for a pet-store owner friend.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The owner of the pet store I get my cat food from is a great guy who's all about the health of his customer's pets and regularly donates hundreds of dollars of food to needy cats.

He's planning on opening a fourth store and asked me if I could ask you guys what your favorite foods are. He knows what sells well in what he stocks, but he's looking for popular stuff that he's not yet carrying. If you guys don't mind, could you please fill in the chart below? I'm going to total the numbers on Saturday morning and bring them to him that afternoon. (#1 is your most preferred favorite, #2 your second favorite, #3 your third favorite.)Thanks so much!!!

Cat Food Wet:

Cat Food Dry:

Dog Food Wet:

Dog Food Dry:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, bummer, no responses. I'll manually count through old threads if I need to, but I thought this would be an easy way to get some good info to him. There are tons of "what I feed my kitty" threads, I thought you folks wouldn't mind one more for a good cause (and searching for, reading through and counting up the info in the old threads is a daunting task indeed).

No worries, I still love you guys.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi

Just saw this.

Mine are very finicky

Cat Food Wet

Fancy Feast (all the shredded and florentines)
Sheba (all the chickens)
Whiskas (pouches)

(I know these are not the healhiest for them but they won't eat any of the really healthy food)

Cat Food Dry

Royal Canine
Friskies
Whiskas

Dog Food Wet

Little Ceasars
Pedigree

Dog Food Dry

Pedigree

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please note, I am in Canada so this might not be of any use.

Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

The owner of the pet store I get my cat food from is a great guy who's all about the health of his customer's pets and regularly donates hundreds of dollars of food to needy cats.

He's planning on opening a fourth store and asked me if I could ask you guys what your favorite foods are. He knows what sells well in what he stocks, but he's looking for popular stuff that he's not yet carrying. If you guys don't mind, could you please fill in the chart below? I'm going to total the numbers on Saturday morning and bring them to him that afternoon. (#1 is your most preferred favorite, #2 your second favorite, #3 your third favorite.)Thanks so much!!!

Cat Food Wet:
#1 store specific holistic
#2 store specific normal
#3 anything I can buy in large cans.

Cat Food Dry:
#1 Taste of the Wild
#2 Chicken soup for the kitten (will be adult soon enough)

Dog Food Wet:
#1 store specific Lamb and rice

Dog Food Dry:
#1 Store specific lamb and rice weight maintenence.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cat Food Wet:
#1.Evo 95% meat
#2.Natures Variety Instinct
#3.By nature (all meat)

Cat Food Dry:
#1.Go grain free
#2.Natures Variety instinct
#3.Taste of The Wild

Dog Food Wet
no dogs)

Dog Food Dry:

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat food wet:
1. Evo 95%
2. Merrick
3. Wellness

Cat food dry:
1. Natural Balance (they have an allergy formula!)
2. Wellness
3. Nature's Variety

I don't have any dogs to be able to answer fairly, but I'd probably feed my dogs with the same brands I feed my cats. What's most important to me is that a pet store carries food that caters to my cats with UTI's (fish free), allergies (chicken free and grain free).

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat Food Wet:
#1 Wellness (it can be very spendy, but I like the 13 oz cans)
#2 Natural Balance (last time I checked, this one was a little more affordable)
#3 Nutro pouches (perfect for the gravy-loving kitties)
#4 Evangers (they have some good fish-less flavors that are good for allergic kitties)

Cat Food Dry:
#1 California Natural
#2 Solid Gold Indigo Moon
#3 Felidae Platinum

Dog Food Wet: (My parents don't feed wet food to their dog)

Dog Food Dry: My parents' dog is very picky and actually doesn't like most foods (though he did like cat food a few days ago). I'm adding ones I've heard about from other people
#1 Innova
#2 Solid Gold
#3 California Natural

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What my "kids" currently use

Cat Food Wet:
#1 wellness ( mostly no grain )
#2 natures instinct( great since cat and dog are the same )
#3 eagle pack

Cat Food Dry:
#1tastes of the wild( very low$$ for type and quality)
#2acana( very $$ as I only use the grain free)
#3orijen ( another $$$ )

Dog Food Wet:
#1My dog eats homemade cooked and semi homemade raw

Dog Food Dry:
#1she hates dry food

Biggest suggestion for your friend ... carry multiple "grades" and price point s ... not everyone wants to or can spend 2-3 $ on a can of cat or dog food in a 13 oz size or 50-60 $ for a 30 lb dog food bag ...

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat Food, Wet:
1) Wellness
2) Innova
3) Blue Spa Select (pate) and Blue Healthy Gourmet (flaked)

Cat Food, Dry:
1) Blue Longevity
2) Innova
3) Solid Gold Indigo Moon

I don't have any dogs.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Biggest suggestion for your friend ... carry multiple "grades" and price point s ... not everyone wants to or can spend 2-3 $ on a can of cat or dog food in a 13 oz size or 50-60 $ for a 30 lb dog food bag ...
This is exactly what he's planning to do. Right now, he only carries high-end stuff. At the new store, he wants to expand into popular mid- and low-level stuff, for two reasons: 1 - Escalating prices on what he stocks are hurting some of his current customers and they're looking for less expensive alternatives and 2 - He wants to bring in people who feed low-end stuff, make good customers out of them, and then use that relationship to educate them about pet nutrition. He'll price the low-end stuff just slightly below market value as "loss-leaders" (not sure what that means, except that he'll be losing money on them) just to have the opportunity to improve the health of as many pets as he can.

This is the same store that donated several hundred dollars worth of food to the local animal rescue league just before Christmas and gave me a ton of stuff for free when I rescued my feral litter back in November.

These guys totally rock.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat Food Wet:
#1...Wellness...mostly the chicken, beef and turkey flavour
#2...Chicken Soup
#3...Innova

Cat Food Dry:
#1...Taste of the Wild
#2...Evo
#3...Wellness

Sorry, no dogs here!

Hope this helps!!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No dogs. My cats are very picky about their wet food:

1) Weruva (lots of fishy flavors, which I don't like, but the "Paw-Lickin' Chicken" flavor is very popular among my boys)

2) Wellness pouches

3) Sheba

I don't see Weruva in that many places.

Dry food:

1) Wellness

They don't really eat much else, but I would like to try 2) Taste of the Wild and 3) California Natural

Where is your store located, if I may ask?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He owns The Pet Barn stores and there is one each in three different cities in Central Massachusetts; the fourth store will be in yet another city. All the stores are, however, within a 45 minute drive of each other.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Cat Food Wet:

Cat Food Dry:
#1Blue Spa Indoor

Dog Food Wet:

Dog Food Dry:
#1Nature's variety prarie

We don't feed wet to either the dogs or cats.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1. some nutro pouches
2. some merricks
3. some fancy feast, the new friskies selects, some whiskas
4. I like weruva but it's really expensive here 1.49 a can
My cats seem to get fussier and fussier all the time about wet food. Brady is the fussiest. The other 2 will eat at least some of most foods but he will smell something he doesn't like and walk away. He prefers dry. Caution.........all 3 walked away from some of the meow mix market select little tubs, they only seem to like the chicken and beef one. weird. eh?

1. the dry I mainly use is from daves soda and pet food city and is their own brand of a premium( store in western MA)
2.chicken soup
3.felidae cat and kitten formula

Is your friend gonna branch out this way? That woud be nice.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat Food Wet:
#1 Wellness grain free cans and Core chicken/turkey cans
#2 Natural Balance chicken pate'
#3 EVO

Cat Food Dry:
#1 California Natural Chicken and Rice (the cats fav)
#2 Taste of the Wild (my fav for them, all like this one)
#3 Orijen

Dog Food Wet:
#1 EVO
#2 Instinct
#3 Evangers

Dog Food Dry:
#1 Taste of the Wild
#2 Wellness Core
#3 Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Diets

Wish we had someone like that around here.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No dogs but here are kitty ideas

Wet:
1) Wellness
2) Pet Promise
3) The Honest Kitchen, its dehydrated raw, I only give it in an emergency, its good to have around.

Dry:
1) Trader Joes, Iknow he wont be able to carry it but its what Monkey loves so its #1
2) Happy Tails kitten food, its not the best but Roxy loves it and we can afford it.

My biggest issue is not being able to find affordable foods that are still healthy. Mostly for the baby Roxy. At our local store they only have 2 brands, wellness and Natural Balance. Between the two they usually only have the kitten wet in Wellness. Same thing in the grocery store. They only have Iams wet for kittens and very little dry. Also with Monkeys allergy to fish it gets harder every day to find foods she can eat, they all seem to have some type of fish in them, so we are very limited on what she gets to eat. I hope this helps. The biggest thing is more variety in different price ranges and more for babies.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest peeve, is the lack of larger cans in most stores

The value is better, and my one cat eats a 13.2oz can within 3 days. If your cat won't eat it all, you can freeze it. So much cheaper than buying one serving cans.

At the local store, the only large cans you can get are 3 good brands (Performatrin, Performatrin Ultra, Wellness) and 1 really crappy brand that I would never touch. (its only 79cent for the 13oz can)

Just a suggestion for your friend
Carry larger cans of food, and offer case specials. Especially with money being tight for most people.... most people want the best value for their money, and I would happily buy foods in the cases if it would save me a few bucks.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Just a suggestion for your friend
Carry larger cans of food, and offer case specials. Especially with money being tight for most people.... most people want the best value for their money, and I would happily buy foods in the cases if it would save me a few bucks.
He does both of these, actually. At least, he carries all sizes of the canned food that is available. Unfortunately, many companies don't offer their foods in 13oz cans.