We don't know what to do anymore.

strykr14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and we really need some help. We have 2 indoor cats, 1 male, 1 female, both snipped, each about 6 years old. The male has gotten outside a few times and about 8 months ago started peeing in the corner of our carpetted living room. Nothing wrong with him health wise. Well, 7 months later he is still doing it. And now, so is the female. We have tried everything to stop the behavior/get the smell out, nothing has worked. The area smells like pee and amonia. We recently inundated the area w/nature's miracle and it did not work. I think the stains are too old.

I have just steam cleaned it w/our home steam cleaner and one of the cats pees/sprayed when I was out of the room! We are going to put their food dishes there hoping that they will stop going where they eat.

Other than that, I don't know what to do.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
is that the only place they do that besides the litter box? Maybe cover it with a throw rug and a piece of furniture like a little curio cabinet or a plant stand?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please put a litter box in that corner, rather than their food dishes. That MAY help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strykr14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilyluvscats

is that the only place they do that besides the litter box? Maybe cover it with a throw rug and a piece of furniture like a little curio cabinet or a plant stand?
They go right by our TV, near a sliding glass door. We think that he may have seen another cat out that door so we made it si the cat's can't see out the door - but it was too late. But they do not go anywhere else.

We tried the upside down carpet runner but the carpet still stinks. We get wiffs of pee every once in a while.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd try Zero Odor and maybe then putting the litter box in that spot, at least for a while. How many boxes do you have now? Also, have you tried Cat Attract litter? I have a boy who had litter box issues, and Cat Attract worked wonders for me.

You can get Zero Odor on line or at Bed Bath & Beyond.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strykr14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will pick up the zero odor tomorrw. I think that the pee is old and wont come out of the carpet. We have 2 boxes for them As much as I'll hate to watch our cat doing his/her business while we are watching TV, I will try anything at this point!

OK to leave one box in the normal spot and move the other one?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a thought. It may help to get a new litter box and maybe sprinkle some of the used litter from the old box in the new box. You could make a high sided box by cutting one side out of a rubbermaid storage box. That way the high sides will protect the walls and you will less likely notice the duties preformed there

There may still be a cat coming to visit that you and the cats will not see, but the cats can smell their presence
. Hence the spraying to mark territory.

Sorry I'm not much help. I hope things get better.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest buying a completely new box & just putting it in that place where they go. Sometimes, I've heard of people moving one of the normal boxes, only to find the kitty now goes potty on the floor where the normal box was. So adding another it, while ugly, might be a better idea than moving one of the normal ones.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strykr14

As much as I'll hate to watch our cat doing his/her business while we are watching TV, I will try anything at this point!
You could get a screen to put up around the box.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the smell may have seeped into the floorboards, beneath the carpet. As long as the smell is present, they are still going to be attracted to that spot, so you may need to have that portion of the floor replaced.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also have a sprayer. Mo would spray anything he can find, its definitely because he watches a couple of cats outside. I use Feliway diffusers and enzyme sprays. Urine Gone or Nature's Miracle. They are 2 very good cleaners, probably any of the enzyme cleaners are good. He sprayed a white stuffed animal of mine. Needless to say it wa s all yellow. I figured it had to be thrown away, I had nothing to lose so I sprayed it with the enzyme cleaner. You could see the urine actually disappear. Now I have to make sure he doesn't see any other cat out the windows. Good luck.