Dog breeds compatible with cats?

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DH and I are looking to adopt a dog or puppy this spring, and I'm trying to do my homework ahead of time (like I should have done before getting our kitties!
) We are uncertain as to whether we will get a young pup or an adult dog, but we have narrowed our search to a few dog breeds: Collie (rough, not border), Labrador, Golden, or possibly, but not likely, a Sheltie. My question is, for those who have experience with any of these breeds, how do they do with cats?

Our furbabies have had not contact with dogs, except seeing them through their crate at the vet's office. I know we will have to spend a considerable amount of time on introductions, regardless or the age or breed, for the cats' sake. But I have been a bit concerned about the herding instincts of Collies and Shelties, although I've heard that Collies are very gentle with smaller animals. My grandma had a lab who literally let the cats sleep on him, but I don't know if he was the exception to the rule. I don't know anything about how Goldens do with cats. What can you all tell me about these breeds and how they act around cats?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Herding dogs are just that - herding dogs, and you are more likely to see some of those behaviors come out.

As for Labs & Goldens - most are well know for being goofballs. You will find shelters packed full of Labs. While some are not cat friendly, many are. It will depend on the individual dog.

My word of advice? Labs mature slowly, go for a 4-5 year old one.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could not tell for sure, i think it depends in the dog?
I have friends with mixed breed dogs and cats in the same house,
rotweiller and persian cat (the dog was scared to death from the cat
)
and mixed hunting dogs with cats

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My word of advice? Labs mature slowly, go for a 4-5 year old one.
What? You mean they're supposed to mature? Mine is 7 and you'd think she's a 1-year-old.

All joking aside, my lab is great with the cats. She does try to chase/play with them some but will obey me when I tell her no from taking it too far. I just wish she'd realize her own strength sometimes. I once saw her run and headbutt my 15 lb kitty as she was coming out of the bedroom and she ended up flying about 2 feet across the room. No one was hurt but the look on my cat's face was priceless.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the dog. I've had cocker spaniels, Goldens, Labs, Collies, Malamutes, Shar-Pei, terriers, and German Shepherds around my cats and they were all great with them... I just adopted a 4 year old Shepherd and she is perfect with the cats. My Golden Retriever Ginger LOVED all cats and wanted to make friends with any cat she met. Even my friends who had dogs and cats, their cats liked Ginger more than the dogs they lived with!

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents have a Golden, she loves cats

I have Toy and Standard Poodles and Cresteds, they all love cats.
Probably if you start out with a puppy it will learn to love your cats

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many dog breeds live successfully with cats. depends on the dog

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Many dog breeds live successfully with cats. depends on the dog
I agree. Yeah a real lab doesn't mature until they are atleast 6-7 years old, Rocky (RIP) always acted puppylike but not overly hyper like some. We get labs in that are about 6-7 and they still act young. So yeah it depends on the dog.
It would be easier to see if the shelter could test the dogs with cats if possible, if they were owner turn ins; they should know. Good luck and thanks for choosing to adopt.

darkfeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

It really depends on the dog. I've had cocker spaniels, Goldens, Labs, Collies, Malamutes, Shar-Pei, terriers, and German Shepherds around my cats and they were all great with them... I just adopted a 4 year old Shepherd and she is perfect with the cats. My Golden Retriever Ginger LOVED all cats and wanted to make friends with any cat she met. Even my friends who had dogs and cats, their cats liked Ginger more than the dogs they lived with!
Our German Shepherds all LOVED the cats - even when one was trying to claw its nose off, he'd still think it was a game of chasy and run around like a mad thing! The girls especially loved it when a rescue kitten came home! They'd snuggle it and sleep with it. One even tried to nurse the 6 week kitten we found 3 years ago!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkFeline

Our German Shepherds all LOVED the cats - even when one was trying to claw its nose off, he'd still think it was a game of chasy and run around like a mad thing! The girls especially loved it when a rescue kitten came home! They'd snuggle it and sleep with it. One even tried to nurse the 6 week kitten we found 3 years ago!
Yeah the only problem I've had with my new German Shepherd and the cats is that the Shepherd thinks the cat wand toys are for her.

I have to put her in another room if I want to play with the cats with the "Da Bird" toy because the dog will jump around and catch it in her mouth!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find it funny - I got to thinking dogs I've fostered that have been cat aggressive....I've had GSD, GSP, Pit, Cocker, Chihuahua (funny to watch her try to attack the cats - they were bigger than her!
), Lab, & a Husky. Some were pedigrees, some mutts, all did not stay long as fosters.

If you don't want to go through puppyhood - as was mentioned - many shelters have dogs that are owner surrenders & know how they are with cats, or can check them out with cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had a GSD( likely wolf hybrid) , pitt/shep mix, herding mutt ( she herded me ) , yorkie , heeler mix , dal mix all cept for the pitt very very good with cats... Pitt was too interested likely not a harmer but she was a big muscle and could have caused harm without intent

Someone on here can vouch for my yorkie giving kitty instruction...lol

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is a specific breed of dogs that love cats lol. For instance, we have 8 cats and 5 dogs, A german rotweiler (which is the really big one) a german sheppard which sleep with 2 female cats in our family room. Mind you they were not raised together or anything. As a matter of fact, when we got the rotweiler the previous owner said he was not cat friendly....yea right, he loves our cats! Our shitzu always loves cats they play together and all.

It all comes down to the personality of the dog.

Good luck! Hope you find a doggie compatible with your cats

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had Min. Schnauzers, Austrailian Cattle dog mixes, chow mixes, a little mutt that looks like a miniature belgian malanois, 4 great danes, and poodles. All of them have been great with them.

My roommates parents also have a sheltie that is terrified of the cats! LOL! She does great for the most part with ours too.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll agree with the other people that have mentioned this: I don't think that there's a specific breed of dog that anyone can say for certain is good with cats. It's very dependent on the individual dog.

I had a Beagle/Lab mix - supposedly beagles (as a hunting dog) aren't good with cats, but she was best buds with the Maine Coon around the corner, and she completely ignored my first cat when I brought her in the house. She was also oddly good with rabbits (which beagles are breed to hunt), guinea pigs, hamsters, and birds. But she was also in a house where there were always different kinds of animals - from the time she was a puppy, too. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. The only thing she ever ate was a fish that jumped out of our fishtank.

I've also had a Pit/Lab mix who wouldn't have been good with anything smaller than she was, even though she was a great dog, cats and small dogs were definitely a no-no around her.

Good luck on finding the right dog that'll work out with your cats!