Natural Alternatives to the Feline Depo Shot

mustangmel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats has to get a depo shot about 1-2 times per year and I am concerned about the long-term side effects. The problem is that he gets allergies and developes sores around his mouth and he bits in between his toes so much that it bleeds. The vet recommends the depo shot when this happens but I would like to find a natural alternative. He is already on non-allergenic holistic pet food.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is depo?? Lol, I take it it's not a birth control shot...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DepoMedrol - I believe it's a type of steroid shot. I can't remember right now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depo is the birth control shot .. it cats it is used for allergies and something else...

I would suggest a holistic vet... FYI IMHO holistic food and hypo allergenic are not the same food, see most holistic s have LOADS of grains and starches which is what most cats are allergic to in food .... Have you done either allergy tests or a standard elimination diet.???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mustangmel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, this is the Depo-Medrol shot. It's a pretty common treatment for excessive grooming, Feline Rodant Syndrome, etc. but it can cause liver problems and Diabetes.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MustangMel

No, this is the Depo-Medrol shot. It's a pretty common treatment for excessive grooming, Feline Rodant Syndrome, etc. but it can cause liver problems and Diabetes.
Thank you for the clarifing.. here is a HUMAN template http://www.rxlist.com/depo-medrol-drug.htm... the Bc shot is also used in cats in some countries

What are you feeding>>>?? Have you had allergy testing done>>?? If so what did the test say and was it a muscle test , blood test or other ?? Have environmental and air allergens been eliminated>>/?? Have you seen a Holistic or holistic minded vet>>??

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depomedrol is a long acting steriod (anti-inflammmatory) shot that is used for many different conditions. Depo shots once or twice a year is not nearly as likely to cause liver problems, or problems with diabetes, as giving steriods daily (such as prednisone or prednisolone.)
This link, from the Merck Veterinary Manual is very technical, but might give you an idea about the different drugs, and potential for side effects. http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/191604.htm

Depp Provera (medroxyprogesterone acetate) is not licensed to use in cats. It a human drug used to prevent estrus (heat cycles) in felines. These drugs often cause the problems you mentioned, liver and diabetes issues. Here is a link hich discusses the use of Depo Provera to regulate estrus in cats. http://www.cfainc.org/articles/reproduction.pdf

There are really no good alternatives to steroid medications. The best answer is to use the lowest dose, for the shortest duration, to get the problem under control.

Good luck!