I met my new family doctor today!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went and had a "meet and greet" session with my new family doctor.

He was reluctant to take me on as a patient because technically I still had a family doctor
, even if my family doctor is a complete lazy jerk that nearly cost me my job due to his complete incompetence.

Anyway, I told him that so far as I feel I don't have a family doctor because I haven't been to see him in almost a year and that my pain doctor has been the one actually looking after me for the past 2 years.

So he agreed to accept me as a patient. He also told me that he enjoys teaching in a "salaried position", so he may end up leaving his practice for such a job in the future and he may or may not be able to take me with him as a patient. I told him that I was completely ok with that, and if he had to drop me as a patient in the future and I was left without a family doctor, I would be in no different of a spot than I am currently.

So he refilled my prescriptions for me, including my Tylenol #3 which I have not had since September last year because I refused to go back to that jerk to get a refill so I've lived in pain and took way more regular Tylenol than is healthy to take. Some days I was so sick to my stomach from the shear number of Tylenol Plain and Ibuprophen that I was taking.

I had gotten a print out of my medications from the pharmacy yesterday. And I typed up a concise history of my medical issues, surgeries, tests etc. He told me that it was so complete that he doesn't need my actual chart from my old doctor.

My pain doctor had given me a requisition for some blood work, but it's at a lab that is across the city from where I live and I haven't been able to get there because of weird working hours in December. So he added a few tests to the requisition and I can get the tests done in their lab on Monday. I have to have a cholesterol test and can't have anything to eat or drink for 12 hours prior to the test.

He's relatively young. Mid 30's I guess. But very nice. And prompt! My appointment was for 9:30. I got there at 9:00. I was taken in right away and was out by 9:30. That never happened at my old doctor. I was lucky to see him 3 or 4 hours after my appointment time, and sometimes even 6 hours later than my appointment time. And it was also so nice to have a receptionist be nice to me instead of making me feel like I was intruding when I approached the desk.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you were able to get a Dr. you like.

My Dr. is similar to the one you did have.
He's a moron, lazy, kinda rude, NEVER on time, (you can be the first appt at 9, he won't show till 9:30.....I count at least 2hrs out of my day for an appt. there's days its been 4hrs).

Reason I stay with him is because noone is taking new patients and I have monthly meds I need to take.

I hope you are able to stay with this dr. if he does leave this position.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope this works out for a while! He sounds great.
I was without a doctor for years before getting my current one. I have to say, I feel pretty lucky with him.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ladies -I see that you're all in Canada. The "not taking new patients"... is that a function of a doctor shortage or of the nationalized Canadian health system?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Ladies -I see that you're all in Canada. The "not taking new patients"... is that a function of a doctor shortage or of the nationalized Canadian health system?
Severe family doctor shortage. There are 10's of thousands of people in Manitoba that do not have a family doctor. And the health care system if partially to blame. The fee schedules are regulated.

There are thousands of qualified doctors here that can't practice because their education qualifications from there country are not recognized here. As a result you have cardiologists driving taxi cabs. I met a girl while in Anatomy and Pysiology at the University that was a cardiologist in her country. She did open heart surgery! Yet because we don't recognize her education here, she can't work as a doctor period. In order for her to obtain a license here she would have had to redo her entire medical schooling. As a result she was going into nursing. Talk about shameful

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Severe family doctor shortage. There are 10's of thousands of people in Manitoba that do not have a family doctor. And the health care system if partially to blame. The fee schedules are regulated.

There are thousands of qualified doctors here that can't practice because their education qualifications from there country are not recognized here. As a result you have cardiologists driving taxi cabs. I met a girl while in Anatomy and Pysiology at the University that was a cardiologist in her country. She did open heart surgery! Yet because we don't recognize her education here, she can't work as a doctor period. In order for her to obtain a license here she would have had to redo her entire medical schooling. As a result she was going into nursing. Talk about shameful
That was very enlightening!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats great for you Linda! I still don't have a doctor here, I just go to clinics..and let me tell you...it is awkward to get paps done by complete strangers that barely speak english

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

same here in Ontario.

If you have a family doctor, whether s/he's good or not, you definately want to stay with them
and good luck when they retire.

I hope things will have changed by the time my dr. retires.

Hospitals/Walk-in clinics, will not refill my prescriptions (narcotics and other 'restrictive' meds) so I have no choice in the matter. I have to see my dr. once a month, as he won't (most won't) put refills on the narcotic meds.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'll agree with what the other posters said. I've been lucky enough to have a family docotr most of my life and was thrille that he was wiling to take on DH as a patient when we got married. DH hadn't had a doctor since he was 11...some places are better than others, but it's still frightenning how many people have to go to walk-in clinics.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Thats great for you Linda! I still don't have a doctor here, I just go to clinics..and let me tell you...it is awkward to get paps done by complete strangers that barely speak english
Well... on the other hand, back when I waitressed, I had to wait on my gynocologist and his family. He didn't recognize me...