TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Kitten Hawks up First Hairball: Tips for Prevention Sought
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitten Hawks up First Hairball: Tips for Prevention Sought

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
We have two Ocicat kittens who will be 2 years old in April. Yesterday, the little girl produced a big hair ball. We used to have Persians and groomed them pretty regularly, partly to avoid this sort of thing, but Ocis are short-haired and need brushing only about once every two weeks. Should I brush them more thoroughly and more often? Or is there a dietary (or other) way to minimise regurgitaton of fur? I'd be grateful for any sage advice, many thanks.
post #2 of 9
I am looking for some suggestions regarding this same issue.

I know that when my short haired dog sheds the vet recommends brushing more and I add flaxseed oil to her diet. Will check with the vet on the next visit for cats.

I don't like most of the hairball food formulas because it seems like they have added grains or fiber products to push the hair through the system. I am hoping others may share what they have used on a daily basis as a preventative.
post #3 of 9
I just use plain ordinary "Vaseline Petroleum Jelly." It's odourless, tasteless and nontoxic (it's an ingredient inside most lip balms so it's consumable). Plus it doesn't have the malt/caramel that hair ball remedies have, both of which are laxatives.

Even my finicky Abby will lick the Vaseline.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
I just use plain ordinary "Vaseline Petroleum Jelly." It's odourless, tasteless and nontoxic (it's an ingredient inside most lip balms so it's consumable). Plus it doesn't have the malt/caramel that hair ball remedies have, both of which are laxatives.

Even my finicky Abby will lick the Vaseline.
Interesting; Abbys are probably very comparable to Ocis as Ocis are bred from them. Natalie, how much do you administer, how and how often?
post #5 of 9
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahger View Post
We have two Ocicat kittens who will be 2 years old in April. Yesterday, the little girl produced a big hair ball. We used to have Persians and groomed them pretty regularly, partly to avoid this sort of thing, but Ocis are short-haired and need brushing only about once every two weeks. Should I brush them more thoroughly and more often? Or is there a dietary (or other) way to minimise regurgitaton of fur? I'd be grateful for any sage advice, many thanks.
Tinker sometimes sits by the litterbox and horks like she's going to puke, but it just stops after awhile. I'm guessing this is a hairball.

How big do these things get? When you said she barfed up a big one, exactly what is big?
post #7 of 9
I like to use the Friskies tender hairball remedy treats. I like that mt cats want these and think it is a treat. I just have to say TREEEEEATS and they all come running.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnoc View Post
Tinker sometimes sits by the litterbox and horks like she's going to puke, but it just stops after awhile. I'm guessing this is a hairball.

How big do these things get? When you said she barfed up a big one, exactly what is big?

Sometimes it takes a few episodes of coughing before a cat can cough up a hairball. Using a product that helps it move through the digestive system prevents the coughing up.

I have had some that are an inch and a half long by an inch wide. Remember that are soft and mushy so they can be squished smaller then that on the way out....I have a short haired cat. I can't imagine what long haired cats who don't get brushed often form.
post #9 of 9
Well, this might not help much...

I have one Ocicat (almost 1 year old) and a Manx (almost 2) and they have never had a hairball. And i hardly ever brush them. I was thinking that maybe only older cats got them, but guess not.

mine eat a almost grain free diet and lots of wet food, maybe thats why mine dont get them?

by the way, Manx have double coats and though their fur is fairly short, there is a lot of it! so, i keep expecting her to get one
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Kitten Hawks up First Hairball: Tips for Prevention Sought