Sudden adversion to collar?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure which forum this should be in.

I took Kizzy's collar off for his bath yesterday and forgot to put it back on. So I went to put it back on him today and I have never seen him like that.

I came to him with the collar, went to put it on and he spazzed. Clawing my arm, embedding part of a nail into my thumb as he jumped away, and hissed at me.

edit: He has never hissed at me or anyone before. The only time he has hissed, was at the vaccum.

He was never like this, and I always take his collar off for his baths. So its definately not a new experience for him.... I don't understand why he was so aggressive.

He has never deliberately clawed me, and I don't think this was deliberate persay, it may have been defensive.

Has anyone else's cat developed an adversion to wearing their collar?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps there was a smell on the collar that upset him? How close to him were you when he started freaking out?

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes Spooky will fight with his and eventually intentionally catch it on something to break it off. He also gets very defensive when I put it on him but he usually settles down with it after a few minutes. If he keeps stressing about it I take it off for a few days and then try it again and that seems to work.

Maybe Kizzy is stressed from his bath?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Perhaps there was a smell on the collar that upset him? How close to him were you when he started freaking out?
pretty close....we were sitting on the floor and at one point he was playing with the collar prior to this incident. He would try to run away with it
(literally take it in his mouth and drag it away) We were both on the floor when I tried to put it on him. He "climbed" my hand/arm/shoulder and jumped off, hissing. (quickest escape was up me I suppose)

I will have to ask my children if something they might have done would have spilled onto the collar. (it was sitting on the bathroom counter since his bath) But I don't know why he would one minute play with it, then the next min. freak out over me trying to put it on him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

Sometimes Spooky will fight with his and eventually intentionally catch it on something to break it off. He also gets very defensive when I put it on him but he usually settles down with it after a few minutes. If he keeps stressing about it I take it off for a few days and then try it again and that seems to work.

Maybe Kizzy is stressed from his bath?
The bath was yesterday....a routine occassion. (except normally I put his collar back on the same day I bath him)

Thanks for the suggestion... I will give it a day or two before I try again.