Soup recipes: post em here

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is freezing out today, so of course I will be having some nice hot soup for lunch.

Does anyone else love soups or stews????

I eat alot of em
YUM

Please post your recipes here.....

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My absolute favorite is an easy ham bean soup! When I say easy I mean easy...

2 cups (about 1 regular can) or great norther beans
2 cups milk
1 cup ham
salt & pepper to taste

Put it all in a pot (I keep the bean liquid too) and let it simmer together stirring occasionally for 10-20 minutes. If it's not as thik as you like you can blend/smash some of the beans or add a few potatoe flakes to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mmm, I'm going to try that one above. Not sure what northern beans are, but I wonder if any beans will work? I have kidney, white kidney and 6 bean mix (kidney, chick peas, blackeyed peas, white kidney, romano and lima) in the house right now.

Beef Vegetable Soup: Crockpot

1lb ground beef
1cn tomato juice (46oz) (I buy the low salt tomato juice)
1pkg (16oz) frozen mixed veggies, thawed
2 cups frozen hash browns, thawed
1 envelope onion soup mix.

Cook ground beef. Add all ingreds to crockpot. Cook on low for 8-9hrs.

Very easy, and yummy. I've substituted actual cut up potatoes (the frozen hashbrowns have some oil n' stuff in them) for the hashbrowns and also substituted ground chicken/turkey instead of the beef. Yummy, healthy, low in fat when you modify it as I do. If I use beef, it is extra lean.

Harvest Soup

1lb lean ground beef
3/4c chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 1/2c water
2 1/4c sweet potato (chopped and peeled)
1c chopped red potatoes
1 c chopped acorn squash (peeled)
2tsp beef bouillion
2 bayleaves
1/2tsp chili powder
1/2tsp pepper
1/8tsp ground allspice
1/8tsp ground cloves
1 can diced tomatoes with liquid (14.5oz)

Cook beef, onion and garlic. Drain well. Add water, potatoes, squash, bouillion, bay leaves, chili powder, pepper, allspice, and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20mins or untill vegs are tender.
Add tomatoes, cook and stif untill heated. Discard bay leaves.

1 1/2cup serving: 241 cal, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesteral, 493mg sodium (LESS if you use the canned tomatoes with no added salt), 26g carbs, 4g fiber, 18g protein.

Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 veg, 1 starch.

I make this one in the crockpot as well. Cook beef, onion, garlic, drain. Add all ingreds to crock, cook on low 8-10hrs, or high 4hrs or until veg are to your liking.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my fav easy soups (I only cook for an army):

2 pounds ground beef browned and drained.
1 large yellow onion
4-6 red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered.
1 cup baby carrots cut into 1 inch pieces.
1 cup of veggies of choice.
1/4 cup minced garlic
1 cup beef broth
32 ounce bottle of spicy v-8
Salt and pepper to taste

Dump the browned beef into your crockpot (mine is 7qt btw), with half of the onion, cut into chunks, half of the garlic, potatoes, carrots and veggies.

In a large skillet saute the remaining onion (chopped) and the remaining garlic until carmelized, add about half a cup v-8 to hot skillet and let the liquid reduce.
Then add this, plus remaining v-8 and broth to crockpot, cover and cook on lowest setting for about 4 hours.

Serve as is, or over egg noodles or rice.
The spicy v-8 adds just enough heat to keep those sinuses open

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad makes a bit of soup for lunch every day... his 'recipe'?

Chicken stock, handful of dried split peas (or rice), a handful or two of frozen mixed diced veggies, let cook on stovetop... when hot, pour into bowl and eat.

Granted, I've done a similar version, using lentils... add a bit of salt, veggie soup base (like roasted tomato, in one of those vacuum-pack boxes), and the frozen veggies... also turns out well. My dad and I are the experimenters of the family...

My (pantry) chili is similar:
can of tomato sauce
can of diced/stewed tomatoes
can of beans (whatever you have on hand)
half an onion, chopped
a pound or less of ground meat (last time, I found a prepacked pound of ground lamb), browned, drained and then added to the rest of it.
Chili powder, to taste (at least a teaspoon, usually more)
minced garlic (I find it already minced, since fresh tends to sprout in my presence)
salt and pepper... to taste.

I also did a soup for the Green Room for OryCon that was fabulous (lots of rave comments)

Roasted Tomato soup base (same stuff as soup above, in vacuum packs)
cooked chicken breast, cut up into chunks
frozen veggies of your choice (I bought a bag of frozen 'italian style' veggies at Costco, not diced)

As you can tell, I rarely 'measure' my ingredients... so much is a personal preference to taste... so I don't like requiring certain amounts... I love 'winging it' in the kitchen!

Amanda

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm a soup and stew person, too. And I also "wing" it in the kitchen.

Recently I took a Rachael Ray recipe for pasta e fagioli and amended it:

•\t2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
•\t4 thin slices pancetta, chopped
•\t1 medium onion, chopped
•\t1 carrot, peeled and chopped
•\t2 stalks celery, chopped
•\t1 bay leaf
•\t3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
•\tSalt and ground black pepper
•\t3 tablespoons tomato paste
•\t4 cups chicken stock
•\t2 cups water
•\t1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
•\t3/4 pound ground pork (I used ground turkey)
•\t1 egg
•\t1/4 cup (a handful) breadcrumbs
•\t1/4 cup (a handful) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
•\t1 teaspoon fennel seeds (I used 1 tsp of Italian herb mix plus, tsp of minced garlic and a sprinkle of onion powder)
•\t1 cup ditalini-shaped pasta (I used whole wheat tiny elbow macaroni)

Place a large saucepot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the pancetta to the pan and cook until crispy, 3-4 minutes.

Add the onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and garlic to the pan with some salt and pepper, and cook until the veggies are tender, 5-6 minutes. Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook until aromatic and brick red in color, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, water and beans to the pot, and bring the liquids up to a bubble.

While the soup is heating up, combine the pork, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, fennel seeds, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix everything well with your hands to combine.

When liquids are at a bubble, reduce the heat to medium and form the meat into 1-inch balls, dropping them into the soup as you go. (I mixed up the meatballs ahead of time, formed them and placed them on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Makes it easier and faster to get them into the soup.)

Simmer the dumplings until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Turn the heat back up to medium-high, add the pasta and cook to al dente according to package directions.

This was delicious!!! Note that over time, the pasta does get soft, but the flavor is wonderful!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

mmm, I'm going to try that one above. Not sure what northern beans are, but I wonder if any beans will work? I have kidney, white kidney and 6 bean mix (kidney, chick peas, blackeyed peas, white kidney, romano and lima) in the house right now.
Northern beans are just white beans. I imagine any kind would work.

That harvest soup sound yummy!

Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

As you can tell, I rarely 'measure' my ingredients... so much is a personal preference to taste... so I don't like requiring certain amounts... I love 'winging it' in the kitchen!

Amanda
We never measure (unless it's baking) which is fun because it'll turn out fantastic and we know it'll never be the same again... even if we try to write is down as we go... it never works.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't measure either...but most of my recipes start off with an actual recipe. Then its modified to taste/mood LOL. (sometimes I'm in the mood for more of this, less of that, etc.)

I use recipes as a baseline then modify to suit my own tastes

Thanks for all the recipes....looks like I'm gonna be doing some sampling

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good thread. If anyone has a recipe for a good, thick potato soup PLEASE post it!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Good thread. If anyone has a recipe for a good, thick potato soup PLEASE post it!
The trick to any creamy/thik soup with out adding milk or cream is to take some of the soup and put it through the blender then add it back to the soup. You can also use instant mashed potatoes to thicken soups and gravies with out adding flavor too.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I went crazy and bought a tonne of frozen vege for my dinners, but then i decided to make a bucketload of soup
I got a kg of beans, kg of cauli/broc, and a kg of diced veg (which is a mix of carrot/broc/caul/potato etc), lots of celery, chuck them all into a hot pot of water. Add a diced onion, fresh garlic, chicken stock powder, a tin of crushed tomato, a sachet or two of a pumpkin or chicken noodle for extra oomph, and then i added a little chives, parsley and mountain pepper.

Cook it all up and you have the most wonder tomatoey chickeney vegetable soup

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I'm so glad you asked! My mom makes potato soup the way her grandmother made it, and great-grandma learned from her grandmother, who came over on a boat from Germany when she was twenty-something... so it's authentic, by golly! No recipe, though... just general guidelines, and it's so plain and simple, that's all you need:

Grandma Lane's Potato Soup

1. Peel a bunch of russet potatoes, cut them into rough chunks, and boil them in just barely enough water to cover them.

2. When they're soft all the way through, turn the heat down low, add a small chunk of butter, and mash them. (Don't drain them! That water is full of flavor and nutrients!)

3. Add a very small amount of milk (2% is fine, but skim is icky) and stir it together over low heat. Keep adding milk until you're happy with the consistency.

4. If it's already thinner than you want it, take a separate pan and make a little roux (flour and butter cooked gently together to a milkshake consistency). Taste it to be sure the flour has cooked fully before you add it to the soup. Adjust with more milk if necessary.

5. Cut a large, sweet onion in half, cross-hatch the cut surfaces with a paring knife, and scrape the bits and juice into the soup. (Even though I love onion and normally use it in huge quantities, this soup is best with just a light touch of onion.)

6. Add black pepper and celery salt to taste; serve with shredded sharp cheddar. I like it with Keebler's Multi-Grain Club Crackers, and it also goes great with cornbread!

Optional: you can add some finely chopped carrots and celery while it's boiling, if you like.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm so glad you asked! My mom makes potato soup the way her grandmother made it, and great-grandma learned from her grandmother, who came over on a boat from Germany when she was twenty-something... so it's authentic, by golly! No recipe, though... just general guidelines, and it's so plain and simple, that's all you need:

Grandma Lane's Potato Soup

1. Peel a bunch of russet potatoes, cut them into rough chunks, and boil them in just barely enough water to cover them.

2. When they're soft all the way through, turn the heat down low, add a small chunk of butter, and mash them. (Don't drain them! That water is full of flavor and nutrients!)

3. Add a very small amount of milk (2% is fine, but skim is icky) and stir it together over low heat. Keep adding milk until you're happy with the consistency.

4. If it's already thinner than you want it, take a separate pan and make a little roux (flour and butter cooked gently together to a milkshake consistency). Taste it to be sure the flour has cooked fully before you add it to the soup. Adjust with more milk if necessary.

5. Cut a large, sweet onion in half, cross-hatch the cut surfaces with a paring knife, and scrape the bits and juice into the soup. (Even though I love onion and normally use it in huge quantities, this soup is best with just a light touch of onion.)

6. Add black pepper and celery salt to taste; serve with shredded sharp cheddar. I like it with Keebler's Multi-Grain Club Crackers, and it also goes great with cornbread!

Optional: you can add some finely chopped carrots and celery while it's boiling, if you like.
Thank you!
That sounds really easy & I can actually make it

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Wow, great recipe. I, too, have been looking for a good potato soup to make collard and potato soup. This one looks like it will work out perfectly.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
4 to 6 baking potatoes (or Russet) peeled, sliced thin
1 small onion diced
1 box good quality chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Place in a stock pot and cook on med/low heat until potatoes fall apart.
Use a potato masher or a hand blender to cream (may leave chunks of potatoes if you like a chunky style)

1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Add these two ingredients and more stock to get desired consistency. Heat through to melt cheese.

Serve topped with crumbled bacon, chopped green onions and dollop of sour cream.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mmmm. You all got me hungry. I love soups and stews. I'm going to have to try these recipes out. Thanks!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for sharing the potato soup recipes! They both sound good; I'll have to give them a try soon.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1lb ground beef
potatoes
carrots
peas (1 can)
onion
2 cream of mushroom soup.

Cook beef and onion. In crockpot, cut up potatoes and put layer on bottom, add layer of carrots, add peas and add beef. Pour 2 can mushroom soup over +1 can water. Cook on low 8hrs.

You can substitute the mushroom soup for any soup
I've done it with tomato, cream of chicken (switched the beef to ground chicken) and cream of celery.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Savory bean and spinach soup - CROCKPOT RECIPE

3 - 14 ounce cans vegetable broth
1 - 15 ounce can tomato puree
1 - 15 ounce can small white beans or great northern beans drained and rinsed
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 garlic cloves chopped
8 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach or kale leaves
finely shredded parmesan cheese

1. In a slow cooker, combine vegetable broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic.

2. Cover; cook on low heat setting 5-7 hours or on high heat setting for 2-3 hours.

3. Just before serving, stir in spinach or kale and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

FYI- This recipe is healthy too

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Savory bean and spinach soup - CROCKPOT RECIPE

3 - 14 ounce cans vegetable broth
1 - 15 ounce can tomato puree
1 - 15 ounce can small white beans or great northern beans drained and rinsed
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 garlic cloves chopped
8 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach or kale leaves
finely shredded parmesan cheese

1. In a slow cooker, combine vegetable broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic.

2. Cover; cook on low heat setting 5-7 hours or on high heat setting for 2-3 hours.

3. Just before serving, stir in spinach or kale and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

FYI- This recipe is healthy too
Ohhhhhhh....
This sounds sooooo yummy.... easy too

Thx for posting it .