What would you do if you caught someone cheating on test asap

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 3 tests yesterday. Two of them were in a computer class and one was an English test. My English class is a telecommunctions set up. Two days the teacher is at our campus with live feed to another campus and vice versa the other two days. Well yesterday she was at the other campus with live feed to our campus. We had a test on the 8 parts of speech with definitions. One student said to several people that sit in the area that he was gonna cheat and showed his cheat sheet. Well I took my test (and I did not cheat) and was walking to put it on the podium. As I was walking to my seat I happened to see this student that proudly said he was gonna cheat did. He has a smaller sheet of paper on his desk copying what he wrote.

Should I say something or keep my mouth shut. I am in that class before anyone else is in there (I hate being late for classes so I get there early) so no one would see me tell her. Part of me says say nothing because it will come back on him when he does not know the material but the other side of my is ticked that this person cheated. I studied hard for the test because I kept confusing two words. I studied hard and finally got it down:

Adverb: modifies a verb, adjective or another adverb; tells where when how and how much
Adjective: modifies a noun or pronoun; tells what kind, which one, how many

So please guys what do I do. I leave for school in 15 mins hopefully I will have an answer or 2 by then.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I would not do anything. YOU earn and do the best you can for YOU. He eventually will get caught up in his web of cheating. The only thing I'd say to him would be "you know cheating is wrong and it will catch up to you one day."

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO I would not do anything. YOU earn and do the best you can for YOU. He eventually will get caught up in his web of cheating.
Agreed. Just be proud of yourself that you are a decent person with great morals. I would just ignore it if I was in that situation. Its not worth it at all.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, I've been falsely accused of cheating and I would say something particularly if she curves grades. It's likely that with out proof she won't be able to do anything about it but it might let her know she needs to be mindful of the student. In my situation I was able to prove my work was my own but cheating is usually something that schools (especially higher education institutions) take VERY seriously. And of course, ask to remain anonymous.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a hard situation to be in! Knowing you studied so hard and some moron is going to get a good grade because of a cheat sheet, but just know that when the time comes he won't know the material and you will. I myself wouldn't say any thing, but wouldn't fault some one if they did, and since he was so proud of him/herself for doing so another student may be the one to say some thing and he will get caught any way, and you won't even be the one to have to say some thing. I really believe people get whats comming to them and this student will get what he deserves.
I hope you get a good grade on yours!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait... it's simple stuff and he's cheating? Let him do it. This is basic stuff he must learn so it will hurt him eventually.
Besides, it's the teacher who's supposed to keep up with this stuff, not you. You're paying to be there and shouldn't have to police the class along with keeping your own grades up.

I kind of have two views on cheating. If one can do it well and it's very minor stuff that won't cripple them later, so be it. I've been guilty of programming a few formulas into calculators because I had problems remembering them.

If they're cheating over simple stuff and being that open about it (bragging, copying a paper on the desk where everyone can see), they deserve to get caught.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless the teacher has put you in charge of being classroom monitor and policing the test, then it's none of your business. You do your own test without cheating and be proud of your grades when you get them. You don't need to be the classroom rat.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say something because the person is not earning their grade, and I would hate to see them be able to graduate and not know what the heck they are doing. Just think if he were to become a doctor and got that degree based on cheating?

I had the same situation when I was in nursing school. Of course the school itself set it up so that it was so easy to cheat.

The exams were exactly the same from year to year. And if you were sick on the day of the exam you could write it a few days later in a room near the nursing school's office. However, it was the exact same test that everyone else wrote a few days prior, so if you had an "in" with some other students, you could get the questions and answers to the entire test.

We had one guy who regularly missed nearly every single Monday test and always did the test a few days after the fact. He always cheated by getting answers from other students, taking his entire binder of notes (the test wasn't monitored when written near the office. The door was left open, but it was passed the office at the end of the hall. No one ever went down there to check on you) so he basically had an open book exam each time.

The few times he did take the test with everyone else, he had notes written on the skin of his arms hidden by his long sleeves, and on the soles of his shoes.

I got tired of busting my butt to get A+ grades and this guy was cheating his way through the program. I talked to the Director of Nursing and his response was "Noooo! Not Mark! I don't believe that!"
And he didn't do a single thing about it.

The shameful thing is that guy graduated nursing school because the school allowed him to cheat his way through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up not blantly saying someone was cheating. I just talked with her about the t est and made a comment that it would be a great thing once we get a TA in the classes on test days. Supposedly we will have a TA starting next week.

BTW I studied my behind off and made a 100 on the test. Several classmates are gonna retake the test because they failed the test. Next Wed. we have a chapter test on verbs.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

BTW I studied my behind off and made a 100 on the test. Several classmates are gonna retake the test because they failed the test. Next Wed. we have a chapter test on verbs.
What sort of stuff was on the test? In an earlier post you made it sound like rather simple stuff, and since you can obviously make complete, and usually grammatically correct sentences - IMO you're fine as far understanding the material.

If anyone needs to cheat on these tests, it's sad. More so if these are native English speakers that are failing. Quite honestly, I'm shocked anyone could fail at this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of the test was real simple: 8 parts of speech. The teacher wanted us to right the definitions she had word for word. Some of her definitions was quite a bit different then when i learned these. Another thing was this: here is her definition of a noun: noun; person place thing quality concept activity. Leave off any of the words in the definition you got points off. My 2 hardest to remember was adverb and adjective and that was just the second half of the definition.