Cabbage Soup?

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried the Fat-burning Cabbage Soup recipe? Did it help?
I'm going to make some tomorrow. I thought it might help me jump start some weight loss.
I'm going to start walking the track when my DH goes to his class three times a week. I have to wait for him (I'm the only driver right now...don't ask
) I figured I'm right by the track, might as well start walking. The problem is that my back is giving me a bad time now. I know losing some lbs would help that out in the long run, it's just hard walking when it hurts. But if I start slow and easy and take some Advil, I should be ok...gotta start somewhere!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

I'm going to make some tomorrow. I thought it might help me jump start some weight loss.
I'm going to start walking the track when my DH goes to his class three times a week. I have to wait for him (I'm the only driver right now...don't ask
) I figured I'm right by the track, might as well start walking. The problem is that my back is giving me a bad time now. I know losing some lbs would help that out in the long run, it's just hard walking when it hurts. But if I start slow and easy and take some Advil, I should be ok...gotta start somewhere!
Can you post the recipe? My mom and I did one, but it was the soup + other stuff... one day it was fruit, one day meat, etc. You could have all the soup you wanted, and then X amount of other stuff.

Yes, it does help you drop weight fast, because its flushing your system out....but it doesn't last. Mom lost weight for bout 2wks, me about 1wk because I couldn't stand having soup every meal and grew tired of it. It was yummy soup but tiresome, and not enough nutrients to sustain you for longer periods of time.

I found it good, for people like me who need to see a substantial # loss to keep motivated. (if I lose 5-10lbs right off, I am highly motivated...even though I know its mostly water retention. I can't get highly motivated losing 2lbs/wk to start...but that's me)

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Yes, it does help you drop weight fast, because its flushing your system out....but it doesn't last. Mom lost weight for bout 2wks, me about 1wk because I couldn't stand having soup every meal and grew tired of it. It was yummy soup but tiresome, and not enough nutrients to sustain you for longer periods of time.

I tried that diet once, and the reason you lose so much weight the first week or two is b/c everything you put in your mouth is coming out the other end.

I lost 10 lbs. the first week. But I was hungry all the time, too. And b/c I wasn't getting the proper nutrition, I was light-headed a lot, too. I don't think it's really a healthy diet to be on.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

One thing with taking up walking when you have a bad back, is make sure you have a GOOD pair of shoes. I had major back problems last fall (bulging discs) and even with physical therapy it still hurt...until I invested in new shoes. Have you had your back checked out to see if it is muscle soreness or something else?

My mom used to make a GREAT cabbage soup. She put potatoes, green beans and kidney beans in it. It was yummy and very filling. And, yes, everything came out the next day.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I tried that diet once, and the reason you lose so much weight the first week or two is b/c everything you put in your mouth is coming out the other end.

I lost 10 lbs. the first week. But I was hungry all the time, too. And b/c I wasn't getting the proper nutrition, I was light-headed a lot, too. I don't think it's really a healthy diet to be on.

Yup, it definately flushes your system out

I wasn't hungry much doing it, so it helped me in the sense that I need to see an initial drop in weight to help my motivation. After the week of soup, I got myself onto a good eating schedule, exercise, etc. and continued to lose.

Definately agree it is not a healthy diet to be on for long periods of time, and to be careful because as the above poster mentioned, you can get light headed and dizzy.

It's a nice soup, but I wouldn't follow that diet again. If the OP is just wanting to eat the soup amongst other meals, go for it. I try to eat one bowl of soup a day to help keep my liquids up

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I did this one once for about a week and while I did lose some weight, I was pretty sick of cabbage soup.

A friend of mine did it for two months solid and actually found she stopped losing weight after about 3 weeks.