Nora was spayed yesterday...

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and I brought her home this morning. I left to go have lunch with my husband at around noon, and I felt so bad leaving her. I could tell she was in a ton of pain (even though they gave her the long lasting pain injection) b/c she hid in the linen closet in my son's bathroom and wouldn't come out. She is not the "hiding" type of cat, so I knew something was up. I went to say goodbye to her and she could only let out these scratchy little meows, again not like her. I about started crying!! My poor baby!! She is doing better now, walking around more and is VERY happy to be home.

Anyway...I'm just curious if it is normal for her stomach to be sunken in now. She has always been long and thin, but now her stomach caves in a ton where it didn't before and she looks malnourished.
I thought maybe she was a bit dehydrated b/c as soon as she got home she drank a ton of water, but her stomach is still sunken.

They fed her this morning, who knows what.
Oh well, I guess she won't die from one feeding of crappy food. I should have taken food for her after all, but I decided not to at the last minute. I figured she would want wet food and it would be easier on her tummy, but didn't know if they would have anywhere to store or/want to give it to her. She didn't eat forever when I brought her home, but finally did just about half an hour ago when I was down there with her.

She must still hurt pretty bad, b/c normally she follows me from room to room, but she won't come upstairs now. It must hurt to go up the stairs.

ETA photos of her sunken belly. Sorry they are blurry, I had to bribe her with catnip just to get her to stand up. (my son is holding it in front of her. LOL) I hope you can see it enough. Her sides used to be pretty straight down, maybe a BIT pulled in, but nothing like this. I SWEAR she didn't look anything like that when I took her in yesterday.

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

She must still hurt pretty bad, b/c normally she follows me from room to room, but she won't come upstairs now. It must hurt to go up the stairs.
When I had my cat spayed in October the vet said that stairs were a definite No-No for a week. Of course my cat didn't listen to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you mean? Her whole belly is shaved up to her rib cage, and she has a clean incision about 2" long. It has some dried blood around it, I'm assuming from the surgery, but otherwise it looks good. She already has a bit of the "spay sway" per say. I touched it, what should would let me without screaming at me, and it feels nice and soft, no lumps or anything. It's nice and light pink, no redness or anything.

I swear, swear, swear she did NOT look like that when I took her in yesterday. Her sides were straight, a little tucked in (I'm talking a 1/4 of a inch if that) just from being a trim, fit kitty. I was shocked when she got out of her carrier, b/c of how she looked. She has always been a good weight, around 7-8lbs (I can't trust my scale), and she is 8 months old. Should I be worried??

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nil4664

When I had my cat spayed in October the vet said that stairs were a definite No-No for a week. Of course my cat didn't listen to the vet.
Our vet said that too, but there is no way to block off the stairs to keep her down on the 1st floor. She's being pretty good so far. She tried jumping once and I could tell it hurt her and she hasn't done it since!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put her in the bathroom?
Thats what I did with mine when they got fixed.
Of course Stripe jumped way up on the cabinet the very next day.
They can pull the inside stitches out if they run or jump.
I hope she feels better soon.
I can show you what cleo looked like when I got her.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she will do more damage if I confine her, than just let her be. She panics if she is confined. I thought she was going to bust her stitches open in the carrier on the way home, she was freaking out so much.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice and calm, acting pitiful. lol She's been sleeping in various places around the house all day long.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a huge wire cage where my kitties go after any kind of treatment at the vet requiring anesthesia. For things like dentals, they are confined there for the evening, until the anesthesia is fully worn off. When I had Hannah spayed, she stayed in there for 2 days. She didn't like it, but I could keep an eye on her and her incision and there was no jumping.

She probably looks thinner because she's shaved and because they have to pull the skin to sew up (or glue together) the incision. Hannah had a little puckered looking tuck at her incision site, but it healed up nice and flat.